PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to clean this brake dust? *Pics*

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

adidasfreek
02-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Hey guys, New to the forum here, but I tend to join a lot of forums when I am not knowledgeable in an area.

I own a 2003 Toyota Tacoma and After some time of getting my stock front pads changed on my brakes, I noticed an increase in brake dust.

The following are a few pictures of what it looks like a few days after I attempted to clean and scrub them with a light abrasive sponge and your normal brake dust cleaner.

The spots are like this only on the front two rims all around... because my back wheels are drums.

Can anyone suggest anything that will rid of these? I was looking into some Eagle one A2Z wheel and tire cleaner that I had read on a few post.

Anyone got anything?

Thanks in advanced!!! Nice to meet you all!!

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/adidasfreek/Wheel3.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/adidasfreek/WheelPic2.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/adidasfreek/WheelPic1.jpg

adidasfreek
02-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Anyone got any tips? Got a few views but nothing so far.

The weather is finally going to be great this weekend, so I am hoping to get this truck back in GREAT condition!

tom p.
02-04-2009, 07:13 PM
When were these wheels last cared for?

imported_MBenz
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
What was the exact name and brand of the cleaner you tried?

adidasfreek
02-04-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, I had been taking care of them until I got extremely busy, there was a gap of time where i was not able to clean them; the rims got pretty covered in black dust where you could swipe your finger and have a decent amount.

This of course all started when I got these new brake pads about a year ago. I swear they were ceramic when I bought them from advanced auto parts, but all I have had is trouble with the build up of dust from them.

I`m hoping there is something I can do. Thanks for your reply!

adidasfreek
02-04-2009, 07:26 PM

*Armor All Triple action wheel cleaner*

Armor AllĂ‚® - Product Detail (http://www.armorall.com/products/view_product.php?product_id=28&main_group=3&category_index=tire)

Joshs2013MSAltimaSL
02-04-2009, 07:27 PM
Have you tried claying them yet? P21s Gel would probably do the trick along with aggitation with a wheel brush.

adidasfreek
02-04-2009, 07:28 PM

*Armor All Triple action wheel cleaner*

adidasfreek
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Have you tried claying them yet? P21s Gel would probably do the trick along with aggitation with a wheel brush.

I have not tried claying yet because I am unsure of what to buy.

tom p.
02-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I`m hoping there is something I can do. Thanks for your reply!

I don`t know what country you are in, but am wondering if this is partially due to winter conditions and lack of weekly cleaning. I know on my cars that if wheels are not cleaned weekly, and they are exposed to rain/snow, etc., the permanent damage begins. You can`t leave the brake dust sitting too long.

I guess I`d try wheel cleaner and perhaps a bit of polish to see if you can lessen the pitting. What products do you have on hand? What kind of car is it?

adidasfreek
02-04-2009, 08:04 PM
U.S. here.... I live in florida, also, it is a 2003 Toyota tacoma.

I do not have any product yet as I was hoping someone would direct me with what to get.

percynjpn
02-04-2009, 08:13 PM
The best way IME to clean tough brake dust is with a high PH (13-14) engine degreaser (wich also cleans the tires at the same time.

Garry Dean
02-04-2009, 08:18 PM
EO A2Z is where I would start, then clay.

Altered-Image
02-04-2009, 08:21 PM
In these particular circumstances acid is your friend.

Acid based wheel cleaners eat brake dust, rust and corrosion for breakfast, however they also eat polish on any non clearcoated surface and will etch glass like you read about.

the stock wheels on your `yota are painted and clearcoated so you are safe. 99% of factory wheels this day and age are safe to use acid based cleaners on.

Now- if you dont want to spend the 25 bucks for a gallon of this stuff then track down a local big rig wash bay. most diesel service shops and heavy equipment garages have a wash bay and for 10 bucks they will wash your whole truck and acid wash the wheels. If you point out the problem chances are whoever is washing your truck will take special care to get all of this stuff off....they want you to be a repeat customer, truckwashers are usually good people.

And if you just want to do it yourself stop in to napa and ask for some Mac`s Aluminum brightener. It should run about 25 bucks for a gallon jug. Make sure you are getting the clear gallon jug with the blue and yellow label not the white trigger spray.

Dilute it about 5-1 in either a good quality trigger sprayer or a garden pump sprayer.

Mist it on, brush it with some sort of wheel brush or bug and tar style sponge and hose it off.

I promise you, it will solve your problem, i fix alot worse wheel issues with acid on a daily basis.

Also works great on chrome, so hit your bumpers with it while you`re at it!

Oh, and I want after pics!

adidasfreek
02-05-2009, 08:04 AM
EO A2Z is where I would start, then clay.

Any clay in particular you could recommend? There so many types that I get sort of lost in the Mix of things.