PDA

View Full Version : Waterless wash

Chas
02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
Saw a waterless wash product at PepBoys the other day and was tempted to buy and try but I can`t help but feel like you would be left with a whole bunch of swirls after wiping, has anyone tried any type of product like this? I feel it would be helpful for me since I`m in college and my apartment building has no hose but I would hate to instill swirls.

BobD
02-02-2009, 10:17 AM
You should do a search. There are probably hundreds of topics on this. When done right they won`t leave swirls.

MrRumble
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
Which product was it btw?

NSXTASY
02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
IIRC, pepboys carriers Prolong Waterless, I`m guessing its made by the engine fluids co. I have also seen one called 24/7 at pepboys and gas stations. Turtle wax also makes a foaming spray waterless, it seems to be heavily discounted as of late.

Search QEW or ONR as well, though not waterless, rather rinseless, they are another conderation.

Chas
02-02-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah its Prolong, I just don`t understand it though, I would think its like spraying UQD on a dirty car and wiping it down which is like swirl haven, unless it has properties that actually lift and separate dirt from the paint. I might try it just because my truck is due for a good polishing anyway.

kevpotts
02-02-2009, 11:57 AM
I would invest in some ONR.

Vintage
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
I would invest in some ONR.

Agreed.

If you`re really determined to try a waterless wash . . . I have tried and liked CG One in the past (a few times). I was afraid I`d put swirls in the paint while wiping off, but to my surprise, none that I could find. I haven`t tried any of the other brands so I cannot comment on them.

In the end, I definitely prefer a rinseless wash over a waterless. I find it`s more economical too. I hope this helps :)

Street5927
02-02-2009, 01:01 PM
I like the ONR for in the winter. I just used it for the first time last week and had no problems with swirls/scratching. I actually have a pump sprayer that I bought from Home Depot several years ago for winter washing. I spray down first with that and plain water, and then using the two bucket method, I used the ONR with a Cobra MF towel to wash and dry. It`s a black car, and had no swirls/scratches from using the product.

Bert
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
I used ONR last Saturday morning. I probably should have waited a few hours later when the sun warmed up my garage a little more because the ONR wash froze to my car :lol. I even used hot water from my shower. I had to shrink down my washing sections considerably and it still froze a little bit. I hoping wiping the ice off didn`t marr to badly. I will know for sure when I get a look at the car in the sun. I may be doing some compounding along with polishing this spring - oh well.

DM101
02-02-2009, 02:28 PM
How bad was the ice up your way? I sure feel for all the others.

I used ONR last Saturday morning. I probably should have waited a few hours later when the sun warmed up my garage a little more because the ONR wash froze to my car :lol. I even used hot water from my shower. I had to shrink down my washing sections considerably and it still froze a little bit. I hoping wiping the ice off didn`t marr to badly. I will know for sure when I get a look at the car in the sun. I may be doing some compounding along with polishing this spring - oh well.

Scottwax
02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Eco-Touch has a decent waterless wash. Obviously it isn`t meant for really dirty cars but if it is just dust or maybe light rain drops (and the car wasn`t driven in the rain) it does a pretty good job. Not nearly as cost effective as a rinseless wash though.

Fallz
02-03-2009, 04:24 PM
I`ve been using ONR this winter and really got to like it . I did not at first because I was skeptical.

I presoak my vehicle with it (spray bottle) , that does not use much and use the 1 bucket method 1 panel at a time working top to bottom.

The other method I do when my vehicle is full or road salt and sand id use my DEDICATED pump sprayer for water only and rinse the junk/grit off and inspect it by hand to make sure I got anything off that would cause marring. I do a presoak , then 1 bucket method 1 panel at a time top to bottom .

I have an 06 4Runner and hardly use any product at all. I`m very happy using it and it`s saved me alot of money since I always want it looking nice and otherwise I would have to go to touchless car wash in winter. I have a heated garage , with massive lighting , ceiling fans , and a great tune system , so when my truck is dirty and it`s below zero out and can be out in my Tshirt and shorts doing the truck. :)

Bert
02-03-2009, 04:58 PM
How bad was the ice up your way? I sure feel for all the others.

Pretty bad in the Kentucky. I believe the ice knocked out power to 186,000 homes in the Louisville/Souther Indiana surrounding area. Our schools were out last Tuesday through yesterday. Things were getting better this weekend then it snows this morning. Not a bad snow but enough to slow traffic down. Oh well.

Scottwax
02-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Pretty bad in the Kentucky. I believe the ice knocked out power to 186,000 homes in the Louisville/Souther Indiana surrounding area. Our schools were out last Tuesday through yesterday. Things were getting better this weekend then it snows this morning. Not a bad snow but enough to slow traffic down. Oh well.

My sons live up in Florence, they had a few inches of snow, a thin layer of ice, then more snow. I guess they were just far enough north to escape the brunt of the ice storm. Here in Dallas the freezing rain quickly changed to sleet so we lucked out too.