PDA

View Full Version : Leather dye???

kittay
01-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Anyone done leather/ pleather seat dye jobs?

I have some tan seats I`m wanting to do black. They are in good condition without cracks. Is there still prep work before applying the dye? Is there any issues with going from a light to black?

Just curious results/ brand recommendations/ what to stay away from?

Thanks!!

kittay
01-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Also if it`s the fake leather, will leather dye work just the same?

And how much would be needed to do 2 front bucket seats along with rear seats (the whole rear seat is about the size of the front bucket seat)

Showroom Shine
01-28-2009, 10:51 PM
Check out VinylPro.com, I think they sell a small kit that can help you!

jayjacque
01-30-2009, 10:50 AM
It`s possible if you`re willing to pull the seats completely. Then scuff up with light abrasive scuff pads or something like 300 grit sandpaper and thoroughly clean. Realize for drastic color changes it requires every square inch and millimeter coverage or something will show thru. So to get down into creases, you have to pull back the parts, paint, and hold it while you heat dry. Sometimes a 2 person job. Also sometimes just painting the seats without matching other interior parts, ie. door panel, console, etc. will look a little funny.

The same paint (waterbase) will work interchangeably with vinyl as with leather. If the company you buy from doesn`t include a cross-linker (catalyst) and clear topcoat (matte or satin sheen), then there`s that much more chance some of paint will eventually peel and the old color will show through. Also a primer helps insure adhesion and better coverage and hence less paint. 6 to 10 ounces dye needed if priming. 12 to 16 oz should still be more than enough even if not priming. Spraying takes less paint than applicators.

kittay
01-31-2009, 06:31 PM
Seats are already pulled and ready to be done. I have 2 sets, so I`m not terribly worried about messing them up. We were going to throw them away since no one desires tan.

So for going from such drastic light to dark, is it something that requires extra coats so it doesn`t go to a brownish?

My entire interior is dark gray and black.

Thanks for the info though!

Bert
01-31-2009, 06:37 PM
Then scuff up with light abrasive scuff pads or something like 300 grit sandpaper .

What does sanding the leather do? I have heard from other places that you need to sand the leather but I always wondered what that does. Does is remove the old urethan coating to allow dying?

Quality Leather
01-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Jay gave some good advice. I hate changing color. If you want to do it on a seat, then I would want to seperate the top and bottom. It is still a pain in the butt. I usually just quote outrageous prices so I don`t have to do it.

If you want to do it, then you will have to put on a multiple coats. A helper would be nice to pull the leather apart to get into the crevices and seams.

What does sanding the leather do? I have heard from other places that you need to sand the leather but I always wondered what that does. Does is remove the old urethan coating to allow dying?

Sanding can remove some of the coating. You need to do it when you have damage to coating like cracking or the coating has been worn. Just like wood you need to reduce the roughness and get it smooth. This is kind of a general explanation, but it gives you an idea.

kittay
02-01-2009, 11:05 AM
Gotcha. The tops and bottoms are already separated.

Do you have any recommendation for products?

Quality Leather
02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
LRT is one of the best out there. You can reach them at 267-228-5682.