PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys do about your backs?

Pages : [1] 2

qbmurderer13
01-27-2009, 02:14 AM
Hey guys, i`ve recently started doing paint corrections for a couple of people. Did 2 cars straight this weekend and my back is aching. Mainly from doing lower panels or the really far parts of the hood. Do you guys have certain tips to prevent this? I know some people here detail for 10 hours each a day and im guessing you guys are alright. What about those lifting belts that truck unloaders use. Can you guys help me out? Thanks!

Lumadar
01-27-2009, 02:37 AM
Get knee pads and a throw down blanket. Try to put your body in positions with those tools that do not strain your back as much. A stool is also very nice (adjustable, with rollers).

eyezack87
01-27-2009, 02:38 AM
I`m relatively young so I`m fine most of the time. I do have a tendency to get super comfortable when I do things like no shoes, sit down, etc. If I ever want to sit on a proper chair, I have a Creeper that I use. Works pretty well IMO :)

qbmurderer13
01-27-2009, 02:40 AM
Hell im 19 and having back problems. Ive tried sitting down and kneeling and I usually do when doing lower panels. Maybe its just the up and downs and what nots.

imported_Bence
01-27-2009, 05:50 AM
I`m using an Airjack to lift cars up to comfortable heights. It can lift 3 tons, it`s soft, so it won`t damage the undercoating etc. A simple scissor lift in a shop is excellent too.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/Airjack.jpg

imported_Detailing Technology
01-27-2009, 07:45 AM
1. Sit ups

2. Stretch out

VroooomCrash
01-27-2009, 07:52 AM
Lower back might also be indicative of tight hamstrings...make sure you stretch them out!

jfelbab
01-27-2009, 07:55 AM
I pay a lot of attention to maintaining good posture and reducing undue stress on my joints and back. I use a rolling seat for side panels and also a thick exercise pad for ground level work.

I also work out 60-90 minutes a day, every day, at the gym. This has done more for me than anything else I`ve tried. I joined a nearby LA fitness center and for $35 a month I have unlimited access to a 45,000 sq. ft. center with around 250 various machines, sauna, jacuzzi and an olympic sized swimming pool.

Tylenol might help short term but if you plan on doing detailing on a daily basis you need to build up some muscle and reduce joint stress. I`ve been detailing for 46 years and can tell you that you can`t rely on pain killers to make up for your bodies deficiencies for long without causing permanent damage.

wannafbody
01-27-2009, 07:56 AM
Watch how you bend and get a rolling stool. Regardless, protect your back because small damage at a young age can become big problems at 40.

David703
01-27-2009, 08:23 AM
im 49yrs old.. if i have to work on a low car i lie down flat next to the car and usually use the UDM for the low low parts. :xyxthumbs

Street5927
01-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Having broke my back after getting hit by a car at my regular job several years ago, I can definitely relate to what you are talking about. I use an round adjustable mechanics chair that I bought from Sears. It was $50 and has a tray on the bottom which is nice for keeping your supplies on that you are using for that particular vehicle and it is on wheels. I like it because I can move my body in unison with the rotary or the PC just by wheeling. For the real low parts, I use a creeper to wheel back and forth on...and for the top parts I don`t have a problem with them being 6`5". My back still gets a little stiff, but no where near what it did before the chair and the creeper.

Scottwax
01-27-2009, 09:32 AM
No problems at all and I`m 47.

Work your abs, they support 70% of your upper body weight.

Autogeek
01-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Situps are terrible for your lower back. The best way to help your lower back is to strengthen it, but I don`t think we need to start writing out gym routines here.

Invest in a foam roller. It`s like giving yourself a deep tissue massage. You can also roll your bodyweight on a tennis ball which hurts like hell but is also very effective. Google some articles on this and you`ll see what I`m talking about.

To ease the pain when detailing, get a cart/stool to roll around on so you`re not bending down all the time. Or hire an assistant. :)

Bert
01-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I have a type of chair that you see in offices the roll behind the desk, I think they are called secretary`s chairs?. I took the back off and when doing the hood and trunk I have the seat at the highest position. When doing the front sides and rear of my car, I use a floor jack and four jack stands and lift my car about 12-18 inches. Then I can lower the chair to its lowest position and do the upper half of the side panels without bending over and I can sit on the ground to do the lower have without bending over.

David Fermani
01-27-2009, 09:50 AM
Nothing like soaking in the tub, drinking a 6 pack of tall boys and popping a few Advil after a 14 hour detail.