PDA

View Full Version : Better to Garage or Detail?

furnace
01-27-2009, 12:25 AM
So living here in NYC, parking a car in a garage will cost at lest 200 to 300 a month.

Would it be better to park the car on the street and spend that money getting the car detailed every month, or to garage it and just detail once a year?

XRL
01-27-2009, 01:41 AM
Well, if its 200-300 per month for a garage, you could afford to detail it more than once a year...

That`s a car payment right there. You can make a car look pretty nice without a garage. What kind of car do you have now? I love cars as much as the next guy, maybe more, but unless your car is really something special, it`s jsut not economically intelligent to do it.

Mark77
01-27-2009, 02:41 AM
I believe he wrote;

Garage - detail once a year

Street - detail once every month

I would rent a garage only for the winter, if that is possible? I would also try to wash it often in the winter, and keep the interior dry and clean. You don`t need the paint perfect until spring IMO, Just wash and wax, maybe use ONR in the garage?

Legacy
01-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Garaged or not, detailing a car once a year is neglect.

ALAN81
01-27-2009, 05:35 AM
I lived in NY for a few years and I can tell you that that if your car shines on the street some jelous Mother f---ker will walk by your car and pull out a key.There are some mean people walking around.Try an outdoor garage with park and lock.There are a few on 11th ave.that is what I did. When I needed my car I took a cab there(about once or twice a week)

Envious Eric
01-27-2009, 10:45 AM
no garage, and detail it 3-4 times a year...no need for once a month unless you are OCD anal about it...

and by detail, that is a wash and wax twice, and a one step once, and a full correction once

full correction - month 1

wax - month 4

one step - month 7

wax - month 10

imported_etml12
01-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Along the lines of what ALAN81 said, something that hasn`t been brought up, are the effects of others who have no regard for other peoples property. Any ability to keep your vehicle from the general public is a good thing. Here is my point, parking on the street will allow funds for more care but at the potential expense of body damage from passerby`s or other drivers. Getting a detail is far cheaper then body repair.

Street5927
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
Looking at it from a business point of view, if the detailers in your area were responding, of course they would say detail once a month for job security. However, as said previously, if you decide to do that, you run the risk of other "factors" that may occur...getting hit, having your car keyed or egged, etc. Maybe have it professionally detailed twice a year (spring and fall) if you are concerned about expenses, and just keep up on it yourself. Afterall, a car can get pretty dirty by the months end...especially leaving it outside all of the time.

737-8dog
01-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Garaged or not, detailing a car once a year is neglect.

Even if the car is a garage queen?

Legacy
01-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Even if the car is a garage queen?Obviously the OP car is not a garage queen.

furnace
01-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

More details:

I use the care about once a week for work, and about twice a week to putz around on the weekends whether its to go hiking in NJ, skiing in the Catskills, shopping, etc.

I live in Queens where there is relatively less foot traffic, although someone tried unsuccessfully to break into my car when it was parked on the street in my neighborhood. I have a Passat, and they took a flathead screwdriver to my driver`s side lock but still couldn`t get in. I was parked in front of a nice Volvo and behind a 993 Porsche 911. Why they picked my car? No idea...I don`t have tinted windows and I had nothing in the car. Radio is stock.

You can see my car in my profile pic. It is not a garage queen...I definiltey drive it once or twice a week.

It sounds like the consensus is that due to risk of physical damage like scratches or dents, it is worth it to detail the car less and park it indoors...

imported_RZJZA80
01-27-2009, 07:05 PM
note to self: never live in NY

XRL
01-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Not to be a jerk, but I wouldn`t bother. I`d just keep it as clean as you can, and use it as a canvas to try out a few detailing products yourself as opposed to dropping a buncha money on a professional detail and/or a garage. Take the extra money saved and put it away so you can get something really nice when you`re able to not live in New York City anymore.

imported_Detailing Technology
01-27-2009, 08:00 PM
So living here in NYC, parking a car in a garage will cost at lest 200 to 300 a month.

Would it be better to park the car on the street and spend that money getting the car detailed every month, or to garage it and just detail once a year?

I paid $450 per month on 1st ave. If you have parking for $300, take it...

Street will DESTROY your car. Guaranteed to get 100 bumper nicks the first week. Oh and wait for the garbage men! They will drag a pail over your hood if its in the way.

Suki22
01-28-2009, 06:12 AM
I paid $450 per month on 1st ave. If you have parking for $300, take it...

Street will DESTROY your car. Guaranteed to get 100 bumper nicks the first week. Oh and wait for the garbage men! They will drag a pail over your hood if its in the way.

If this is true.............get the garage. The question is if you cam afford it get it....or will the abuse your car may get on the street drive you nuts:grrr. I am OCD....it would keep me up at night checking on my car occasionally.