PDA

View Full Version : QD`s Altering Unique Look Of High End Nubas?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_DieselMDX
01-27-2009, 12:13 AM
I recently have had a chance to use Zymol Vintage which btw is AMAZING. I followed the common practice of using a QD (zymol field glaze) after application to remove the oils from out gassing.

What was interesting to me was that after I apply all my high end nubas which range from souveran to zymol and swissvax they all have the unique look that draws us to these high priced items BUT after using ANY QD they alter the look of the wax used.

Vintage has a very unique look but after using FG the look was altered imo it looked more sealant like than nuba like. I have also had this problem when using Opt QD and FK1 425.

thoughts?

Lumadar
01-27-2009, 02:40 AM
When you wipe the surface you are removing *some* of the previous LSP. Additionally, depending on your QD of choice, you may leave behind a new coating, and this create a new "LSP."

Makes sense to me that it could change the look.

Legacy
01-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Have you tried ONR as a QD?

imported_DieselMDX
01-27-2009, 03:14 AM
no never used ONR as qd but always wash using ONR

Todd@RUPES
01-27-2009, 05:06 AM
I think part of the look altering is because you are removing the oils responsible for the `look`. I think Vintage is great looking, certainly as good as SuperNatural, #26, Blackfire, and others.

I have read that in the UK a lot of the Zymol guys wipe the cars down with Zaino Z8 to improve the gloss and add durabilty, they seem to like this combination. (I tried this on a half a hood and half a hood with just Z8 and couldn`t tell a difference from side to side, but it might be worth the try).

Robb
01-27-2009, 08:50 AM
When you wipe the surface you are removing *some* of the previous LSP. Additionally, depending on your QD of choice, you may leave behind a new coating, and this create a new "LSP."

Makes sense to me that it could change the look.

agreed, if the qd has any shine enhancing qualities, its bound to change the look a bit

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://1person1million.com/pages/1224/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://1person1million.com/pages/1224/" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

Accumulator
01-27-2009, 09:48 AM
This is one reason I like to match certain QDs to certain LSPs.

I wonder how Griot`s SpeedShine would work over the Vintage :think: It appears (at least to my eyes) to do a little less of the sealant-look thing than my other QDs. I wouldn`t be surprised if Pinnacle Crystal Mist worked OK too, but I haven`t tried the new version of that one.

pattieman
01-27-2009, 10:36 AM
I`ve use ONR as a QD, CG Lube, FK425, Meguiars Quick Detailer, Mothers STUD,Z6 and Z8. By far the best added shine is the Z8, over Souveran, Do do juice, Fuzion,M16, Natty Red, P21S. Just my thoughts. PM

imported_Detailing Technology
01-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I think part of the look altering is because you are removing the oils responsible for the `look`. I think Vintage is great looking, certainly as good as SuperNatural, #26, Blackfire, and others.

Good fact Todd.

Recently, as recent as this month, I have been QD`ing Swissvax Mystery with Chemical Guys Pro-Detailer. But I have been applying a ridiculously large amount of product and removing with a Pakshak ultra-plush microfiber under halogen lighting.

Keeps the car looking as the makers of Mystery intended it to.

I`m concerned that in the spring this will look like it needs a shave every 5 minutes from the pollen. the good think about Pro-Detailer is that its the base formulation for some waterless washes out there. It cleans off the surface nicely.

mblgjr
01-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Chem. Guys 1X w/nuba diluted 1:1 really doesn`t affect the look of most `nuba waxes for me; neither did the older formula of Pinn. Crystal Mist.

BUT; products like Opt. Inst. Detailer, FK425, CG 1X undiluted and others all mess with the "Look".

imported_DieselMDX
01-27-2009, 10:22 PM
I have been looking to get some crystal mist, now seems to be a good time

lbls1
01-27-2009, 11:12 PM
I always say that you should not add a qd to a just applied layer of Vintage. I only use qds after having the wax on a car for awhile; Where with the qds I use to cut lingering haze from the wax surface, as well as adding a hint of moistness.

No qd could come close to outrendering a well stretched wax finish in my eyes.

I have found that Sonus works well with the EGZymols; I have had mixed results thus far with Field Glaze.

imported_DieselMDX
01-27-2009, 11:57 PM
I waited the 24hrs to allow the V to cure but used a chilled QD to remove the haze/smears per recommendation.

I can say this LBLS1 vintage is all you said it was!

Alfisti
01-28-2009, 06:46 AM
Most QDs contain some percentage of silicon/siloxane. This will unquestionably change the look of any carnauba-based wax.

Maybe try Megs Final Inspection. It doesn`t contain silicon because it`s body shop safe. It may be *neutral* enough to use over your Vintage.

imported_DieselMDX
01-28-2009, 07:19 AM
excellent idea and i can buy it in bulk THANX