PDA

View Full Version : New paint on my 350Z... How to care for it?

STL WRX
01-25-2009, 02:10 PM
My 2003 Redline 350Z will be going into the shop on Feb 9th for a complete strip down and repaint of it`s original color. When I get it back I know how to wash with the two bucket methods and drying with a Groits Garage micro fiber dry towel. My question is this... the shop manager said their painter is so good that very few spots on the car will have to be touched with a buffer and when I get it back she will have no swirls or buffer marks what so ever and look better than the day the dealership got it back in 2003. I have seen his work and yes it is great! When I get the car back it will not move out of the garage until spring and this is when I will being my work. What kind of polish would be good for new paint? I was thinking Klasse all in one and a top coat of P21S Concours wax to bring out the depth of the red. Does this sound good or is there another polish that is gentle on new paint? Should there be a place for a clay bar in my process before polishing? I have pretty much made up my mind that I want the P21S Concours wax due to seeing some after pic`s when this is used on a red car.

Just let me know how you would care for brand new red paint... to prevent swirls and to make the paint look deep and wet. I am open to all opinions on everything though.

Legacy
01-25-2009, 02:17 PM
If it does come back with no swirls or marring, just do a zip lock bag test to see if you need to clay. Klasse AIO and P21S should be a good combo.

STL WRX
01-25-2009, 02:24 PM
Also I am looking into the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer for a polish too.

jDizzle
01-25-2009, 03:24 PM
you wouldnt need to polish it if it didnt have any defect (swirls, scratches etc). all you would need to do is like legacy 99 said.. use a ziploc or thin shopping bag to feel it. if its smooth. u dunt need to claybar. i cant imagine you would need to after its been buffed out like that... to maintain a perfect finnish all you need to do is make sure you use clean microfiber applicators to apply whatever precleaner-wax wou want.... watever you use, amke sure its non abrasive, with no claners or polishes in it.. that it just to improve the surface. and products that are just a pure wax / sealant generally last longer.. a couple of these that id suggest are

mothers pure carnuba

collinite 476

the klasse twins (aio has some cleaning ability though)

try lots, and use whatever you think look good.

STL WRX
01-25-2009, 03:35 PM
I have been looking at kits and found this. Would the Pinnacle Forum Favorite kit on autogeek.net be a good kit to start with?

Legacy
01-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I have been looking at kits and found this. Would the Pinnacle Forum Favorite kit on autogeek.net be a good kit to start with?

I just posted a picture of Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion.

BigJimZ28
01-25-2009, 04:41 PM
IMO the best think you can do is DO NOT TOUCH IT!

pull it in the garage and let it cure

the paint will be soft till it`s fully cured

Wax will slow down/stop the curing process then you are in trouble

(also search "new paint" there are a ton of threads about this topic)

Inzane
01-26-2009, 09:58 AM
My 2003 Redline 350Z ...

What does "redline" mean? (in this context) Is that the name of a tuner shop?

Pats300zx
01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
What does "redline" mean? (in this context) Is that the name of a tuner shop?

It`s the name of the color offered "Redline Red".

Mine is Super Black.