PDA

View Full Version : New Detailer in SoCal

alonzoftw
01-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Hey guys & gals, my name is Mike and I have recently invested a good amount of money into detailing equipment. I would like to detail cars for potential customers in the near future but not until I am comfortable doing my own car.

I have a 2006 Aspen White STi. So far it`s a fairly intimidating challenge for a newbie such as myself since it is white.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m156/iaremichael/DSC_0633.jpg?t=1232836901

I will list my equipment so far and questions that I hope to get answered. I have heard good things about this website and I plan to be part of it.

:thx

Equipment

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Porter Cable 7424

Backing Plate

Standard Pad

Wrench

Spacer?

Meguiars NXT Generation Car Wash

Bucket with Grit Guard

Gimour Foam Gun

303 Fabric Cleaner

Edge Assorted Detailing Tips

All White Wash ShMITT

Black Wheel ShMITT

Yellow/White Interior ShMITT

Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit

EZ Detail Brush

Glass Master Pro Combo

P21S Wheel Cleaner Gel

P21S 100% Carnauba Wax

P21S Foam Wax Applicators

Poorboys Bold N Bright Tire Dressing

XMT Porter Cable Intermediate Swirl Remover Kit

Stoner Invisible Glass Trio

8 Inch Montana Original Boar`s Hair Wheel Brush

3M Rolls of Painters Tape

Questions I have

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought a 1000 [2x500`s] Watt Halogen Worklight & Stand from Lowe`s and I can`t see imperfections unless I angle my POV in an awkward position. Can I get a recommendation on a good light source? This is something that is becoming a hit and miss for me. /:

When I polish, I am coming out with a hologram and swirl effect still. When I use the NXT finishing glaze/wax it`s less noticeable but I still get minor scratches and micro marring any help? Also, should I be applying any pressure on the PC when I use it? Or just let it hover over the paint?

When you hit up an oxidized area, does the liquid debris usually come up black? Also, should the foam pad be cleaned before I hit up another section?

When I clean the foam pad, obviously it gets water in it. How should I go about drying them so I can get back to work with it?

Is it possible to work an oxidized area to a glossy clear coat look?

I know it depends on the person but what brand of polishing should I use? Zaino gets praise and right now I am using NXT something.

I know its quite a bit of questions but ANY advice I get is greatly appreciated. :bigups

Bobby G
01-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Mike!

Welcome to Autopia!

alonzoftw
01-25-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Mike!

Welcome to Autopia!

Thank you. :D

Holden_C04
01-25-2009, 12:07 AM
:welcome to Autopia.

99blackSE
01-25-2009, 08:56 AM
Welcome to Autopia!

BobD
01-26-2009, 09:13 AM
Welcome! Nice ride!

Charlie Matco
01-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Hi-ya Mike. Very nice picture of yer sled!

Darkstar752
01-26-2009, 09:26 AM
I didn`t notice a clay bar in your collection. That would make polishing a lot easier and there would be none of that debris to pick up. You can get a Clay Magic Clay Bar at Autozone for about $12. Do this before polishing, after washing, and just look uo videos on youtube on how to use it.

ShineTech
01-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Welcome Aboard. Nice Ride. :xyxthumbs

alonzoftw
01-26-2009, 02:29 PM
Thanks everyone.

Could someone help me out with my questions as well?

jayh2301
01-26-2009, 02:35 PM
NIce ride welcome!!!

imported_advs1
01-26-2009, 03:32 PM
welcome.

may i suggest posting your questions in the proper sections of the forum? might get more replies.

4AudiQ
01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
I have several suggestions.

Here is the wheel brush I like of all that I have tried over the last 5 years:

Amazon.com: Power Brush Super Soft Wheel Cleaning Tool: Automotive (http://www.amazon.com/Power-Brush-Super-Wheel-Cleaning/dp/B000PHHSM6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1233005016&sr=1-1)

Here is my polish system:

Proper Auto Care recommends:

Step 1 - BLACKFIRE PolyClay II with BF Lubricant

Step 2 - Menzerna PO106FF Polish using the White pads

(Polish)

Step 3 - Menzerna Finishing Touch Glaze using the Black pads

(Glaze)

Step 4 - Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket using the Red pads

(Seal)

Proper Auto Care is out of Tampa(Go Kurt Warner!).

My polish on my 1995 Audi 90 is terrific.

Look me up on AudiWorld under 4AudiQ for some pics.