PDA

View Full Version : Lurker from PA

turbotool
01-24-2009, 04:18 PM
I`ve been checking out the board for a few months now and finally decided to introduce myself. I`m 30 years old from Levittown, PA(suburb of Philadelphia) and I`ve been detailing for 11 years now and its pretty much the only thing I know. I currently work at a Chevy dealership(that is closing) but have also worked at a few private shops. At the dealership its all about making money so its hard to really spend time on the cars so I have my little side business at the house where I can detail the cars on a higher level. I`m still learning new stuff every day thanks to all you guys and hope to one day have my own shop. Thanks for looking, Greg.

BigJimZ28
01-24-2009, 04:33 PM
I don`t know Levittown Pa ?............you sound like trouble!

what dealership is closing?

welcome and I hope everything works out for you

turbotool
01-24-2009, 05:19 PM
Haha thats funny. I`ve seen you on here before but never realized where you were from. I work at Stockburger Chevrolet. GM is forcing them to close down because of low sales. It was also one of the conditions of the bailout that GM had to close 2,000 dealerships. Its a small dealership so it didn`t have a chance. Thanks

BigAl3
01-24-2009, 05:23 PM
:welcome !

D Tailor
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
A big hello to you Mr. Lurker! Welcome a-board! Are you going to get into doing it on your own now or looking for another dealership?

Barry Theal
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
lurker i wish you the best of luck! everyone here knows the difference between dealership detail and a real detail! your right at most dealerships its all about the money i have spent time with dealerships and you just can`t do it the way you want at most. its not the detailers fault its just not cost effective for the dealership. im from a small town in pa! it has the worlds largest auto auction here "manheim Auto Auction" in my town last year at this time there were literlly 20 or 25 so called high volume detail shops. this is how i learned "in and out". i know all the shortcuts after 6 years of that crap. i had enough. the bottom line is if your work is of a very high quality you will always have it. its all in the hard work! since this recession ill bet there are only 7 shops still remaining in my town. my town is all detailing litterelly alot of people live off this auction here and there are layoffs everyday. funny thing is when i decided to step up my game and do it right the word spread fast. i now have a parttimer who helps me. im litterly book with appoints for the next 3 weeks. it took a lot of work to get where im at. put it is all worth it. i wish you the very best of luck! and remember god does things for a reason!

turbotool
01-24-2009, 09:21 PM
A big hello to you Mr. Lurker! Welcome a-board! Are you going to get into doing it on your own now or looking for another dealership?

I`m gonna collect unemployment for a while and hopefully an oppurtunity will present itself. The way the car business is right now I highly doubt it will be at another dealership. I`m gonna do my best to try start my own business but if I get a good offer or see a good job I`ll probably grab it. I`ve been doing sidework for ten years now so my client list is pretty decent. I just don`t think there is enough work to make it my main source of income right now. I just want to take it easy right now and see what the future brings.

turbotool
01-24-2009, 09:27 PM
lurker i wish you the best of luck! everyone here knows the difference between dealership detail and a real detail! your right at most dealerships its all about the money i have spent time with dealerships and you just can`t do it the way you want at most. its not the detailers fault its just not cost effective for the dealership. im from a small town in pa! it has the worlds largest auto auction here "manheim Auto Auction" in my town last year at this time there were literlly 20 or 25 so called high volume detail shops. this is how i learned "in and out". i know all the shortcuts after 6 years of that crap. i had enough. the bottom line is if your work is of a very high quality you will always have it. its all in the hard work! since this recession ill bet there are only 7 shops still remaining in my town. my town is all detailing litterelly alot of people live off this auction here and there are layoffs everyday. funny thing is when i decided to step up my game and do it right the word spread fast. i now have a parttimer who helps me. im litterly book with appoints for the next 3 weeks. it took a lot of work to get where im at. put it is all worth it. i wish you the very best of luck! and remember god does things for a reason!

My dealership has purchased hundreds of cars from Manheim auto auction. I never knew the town was like that. I`ve heard of steel mill towns and ski towns, but never detail towns! I`m gonna use my time on unemployment to really step up my game and hopefully something great will come out of it. Thanks for the advice and the kind words.

turbotool
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
:welcome !

Thanks, glad to be here!

Bobby G
01-24-2009, 10:21 PM
Hey Greg... Welcome to town! Happy to have you with us. Hope unemployment period is brief.

Vader007
01-25-2009, 12:41 AM
Welcome!

I`m not far from you either, just on the other side of Oxford Valley Mall.

99blackSE
01-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Welcome to the board, best of luck in your side venture!

turbotool
01-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Thanks everybody!