PDA

View Full Version : Hazzing issue with Meg`s Ultimate Compound

RonMexico
01-24-2009, 10:28 AM
I used Meg`s Ultimate Compound to correct some scratches in my black 08 navigator. Now the area where I used it is dull and hazzy. How do I remove the hazziness prior to laying down an LSP (collinite 845)?

I tried removing it with Z6 but that really didn`t work.

I also used it on my black 03 HD F-150 and didn`t notice initially that it did that. However on the F-150, I now have holograms/marring in areas. I don`t know which (whether marring or holograms...I thought holograms, but searching on there was thread that said similar marks were marring) but every thing was put on by hand.

For the HD F-150, the process was:

wash

clay

wash

ultimate compound

alcohol/water wipe down

z6

z5+zfx x 3 with z6 in between

How do I get rid of the holograms/marring on the HD f-150?

porta
01-24-2009, 10:37 AM
You have to use a finer polish to remove the hazing from the compounding.

B.Prug87
01-24-2009, 10:38 AM
Did you try a finishing polish?M205 or swirl x?siwrl x isnt a finishing polish but its less abbrasive.How was your experience with UC??it remove alot of defects by hand?

imported_smprince1
01-24-2009, 10:41 AM
You have to use a finer polish to remove the hazing from the compounding.

Exactly, you need to do multiple steps when heavy compounding, using a less aggressive method which each step to refine the process and restore the gloss.

wannafbody
01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
If you have ZPC it might be aggressive enough with an orange or white pad to remove the compound hazing.

RonMexico
01-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Did you try a finishing polish?M205 or swirl x?siwrl x isnt a finishing polish but its less abbrasive.How was your experience with UC??it remove alot of defects by hand?

I like UC...it pretty much removed the nice tree branch scratch that was all the way down the drivers side in 2-3 applications. It also completely removed my dog`s claw marks on the bumper and tailgate. All this was applied by hand. I want to try it with a G110, but have to wait to purchase one since I dropped a bunch of coin over the last couple months (christmas, birthdays and general idiocy).

RonMexico
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the quick replys.

I have some ZPC, but don`t have a DA so any application will be by hand...do you think this will be effective enough?

Is there an OTC polish that may be "good" enough to finish up prior to waxing the navigator? Being the weekend, I want to get this vehicle taken care of today if possible.

Also, how about the holograms/marring on my HD F-150? Is it the same situation as above? If I use ZPC, will it also remove the Z5 layers?

Sorry for all the questions, but I`m just getting into detailing the correct way and trying to learn as much as I can.

Accumulator
01-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Is there an OTC polish that may be "good" enough to finish up prior to waxing the navigator?

I`d try Meg`s Swirl-X or Scratch-X.

Also, how about the holograms/marring on my HD F-150? Is it the same situation as above? If I use ZPC, will it also remove the Z5 layers?

If the milder polish recommended above (or your ZPC) won`t do it, try the UC.

Yeah, if you`re abrading the paint away to remove the marring you`re gonna cut through the existing LSP just to *get to* that paint.

akimel
01-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Try either SwirlX or the older formulation of ScratchX (not ScratchX 2.0). I had some hazing that was left behind from the older formulation of M105, applied by hand, and I used some ScratchX and that cleared everything up. You should still be able to find ScratchX at the local auto stores and at WalMart.

Edit: Oops, I see that Accumulator beat me to the punch.

RonMexico
01-24-2009, 11:39 AM
super sweet, info! thanks!

B.Prug87
01-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Aggressiveness Order for New Consumer Products - This will surprise you! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28407&highlight=ultimate+compound)

That gives u the levels of aggressiveness.just go a step or 2 down from UC

rwisejr
01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Your ZPC by hand as that was what it was intended will fix your issue you do not need to buy anything else

wannafbody
01-24-2009, 03:12 PM
I`d suggest saving your arm and buy a PC to remove swirls.

Lumadar
01-24-2009, 10:06 PM
ScratchX, ScratchX 2.0, or SwirlX will likely do the trick.