PDA

View Full Version : Removing light swirls on jet black BMW.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

deznium
01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
Hi,

I`m new to this forum and learning about detailing in general. I own a BMW 3 series in jet black `09 model. I have a few swirls which are pretty light but are all over the car given to me by my dealers car wash. I came across this thread here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/77859-test-swirl-removal-hand.html.

I was wondering if my swirls are light, can I get rid of them without using a machine just like shown on that thread? Do you recommend any products? Also, I have some swirls on the side panels of the doors (see attached pics for details, shown in the circle). BMW has upgraded the side panels and made it glossy and you have to be now careful when you wash your cars otherwise those side panels will get scratched.

Thanks for your help!

BigAl3
01-23-2009, 03:17 PM
:welcome !

invest in a D/A polisher (PC, UDM, G110, FLEX) it will give you better even results more than your hands ever will, make things alot easier for you, and are safe to use. using it a few times will have already paid for itself...

here are a few videos for you to check out if you haven`t already...

Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car (http://paintcarendetailing.com/video.html)

Thomas Dekany
01-23-2009, 03:52 PM
Sorry Al, I know I sound like a answering machine, but OP: you pretty much bought the very worst paint. My experience is that you will need a rotary to correct, the pc chewed up the paint on the new JB. However you can use it to apply wax with it.

BUT, those swirls will come back faster then you can wipe the paint. :wall:wall:wall

I really feel sorry for you. You can`t win with that paint.

dmw2692004
01-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Sorry Al, I know I sound like a answering machine, but OP: you pretty much bought the very worst paint. My experience is that you will need a rotary to correct, the pc chewed up the paint on the new JB. However you can use it to apply wax with it.

BUT, those swirls will come back faster then you can wipe the paint. :wall:wall:wall

Agreed, I work on a 06 BMW all the time, with Jet black paint and its a mess to correct fully and keep swirl free. I swear, the wind causes swirls and light marring.

For the original poster,

A DA will make a small dent in swirls, but you could give it a shot. Hand polishing will not really get you anywhere.

Accumulator
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
OK you pros who work on the BMW Jet Black, school me (purely intellectual curiosity as I`d sell a vehicle over paint like that):

-If the paint is so soft that you can`t finish out via PC, then why would it be hard to do the initial correction?

-Why couldn`t you use some *almost* functionally nonabrasive polish (perhaps by hand) for the final polishing?

-Why not just use a combo that conceals since *something* is gonna be necessary every few months/weeks anyhow?

Again, I`m just wondering what people who are bound and determined to keep their Jet Black bimmers are, *realistically*, supposed to do? It`s not like they`re really gonna go master the rotary and correct the paint all the time.

I had ss black lacquer cars back in the day (some of those paints were *soft*), and it was possible to keep `em looking OK. Not easy by any means, and "looking OK" might not pass, uhm..."Autopian muster", but seriously...I don`t see what people are supposed to do :confused: Even for you rotary-Meisters, you can`t keep cutting off clear forever.

Thomas Dekany
01-23-2009, 05:33 PM
1 - as I`d sell a vehicle over paint like that

2 - I don`t see what people are supposed to do :confused:

1 - you are indeed a very smart man. I would sell it as well, unless you are not into the finish.

2 - not much. Just live with it. To me it is really that bad.

PS: I would just keep layering some really greasy carnauba.

deznium
01-23-2009, 11:29 PM

It has nothing to do with that paint.. All BMW paints are soft and will get swirled if not washed properly. There is nothing wrong with jet black.. Other colors like black sapphire metallic, montego blue metallic, crimson red etc.. will have the same paint softness and will also show swirls. I believe if you wash your car properly and don`t go to those crappy car washing places, you car can stay swirl free most of the time. I don`t think you know much about BMW paints, at least from your post!

deznium
01-23-2009, 11:34 PM
:welcome !

invest in a D/A polisher (PC, UDM, G110, FLEX) it will give you better even results more than your hands ever will, make things alot easier for you, and are safe to use. using it a few times will have already paid for itself...

here are a few videos for you to check out if you haven`t already...

Car Detailing videos - How to detail, polish and wax your Car (http://paintcarendetailing.com/video.html)

Which is the best D/A polisher? I like FLEX but not sure if I should buy it over the G110 or UDM, can you guys help me? Also, What is the difference between porter cable vs. orbital polisher vs. rotatory? Are all of them same? Sorry I`m new to all this...

Thanks!!!!

Accumulator
01-24-2009, 10:48 AM
1 - you are indeed a very smart man. I would sell it as well, unless you are not into the finish...

Heh heh...oh yeah..that`s smart ol` me alright...buy high/sell low over something like soft paint :o

2 - not much...[you can do]. Just live with it. To me it is really that bad.

That`d be a real kick in the head to discover *after* the purchase (buy high/sell low indeed). People`s caveats here about certain paints being have scratched a few vehicles off my interest-list, can`t figure why some are using such soft paints while others are using the ceramiclear stuff :confused:

imported_agentf1
01-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Do you find that all 3 series have crappy paint or is it just some colors like the Jet Black?

Thomas Dekany
01-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Do you find that all 3 series have crappy paint or is it just some colors like the Jet Black?

so far only the JB and I think the red one too.

eyezack87
01-24-2009, 12:40 PM
I finished perfectly on JB before with my PC. It just took a bit more work than others. Usually SIP+orange will give you a great improvement but you need to follow up with something to make it perfect ;)

But then again I`ve been known to melt the first 2 revisions of the backing plate and snap my PC in 2 so I don`t know if that makes a difference or not lol

Thomas Dekany
01-24-2009, 12:43 PM
I finished perfectly on JB before with my PC. It just took a bit more work than others. Usually SIP+orange will give you a great improvement but you need to follow up with something to make it perfect ;)

But then again I`ve been known to melt the first 2 revisions of the backing plate and snap my PC in 2 so I don`t know if that makes a difference or not lol

On the latest models?

Unless bmw has made changes to the jb paint from the first run, no way can you use an orange pad on that paint. Especially with the pc.

eyezack87
01-24-2009, 01:27 PM
On the latest models?

Unless bmw has made changes to the jb paint from the first run, no way can you use an orange pad on that paint. Especially with the pc.

Hmm, most recent was an 06 that I worked on...

I got it to work pretty well as a one-step polish. Even did the 50/50 and TAW wipedown after too to make sure of it...

Prima Swirl with Orange LC after wipedown to ensure all oils were gone. Did like 10 shots of each thing too lol

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c201/reboot870/Detailing/330ci%20ZHP/983ed1e4.jpg

This was prior to a finishing polish but a significant improvement nonetheless. Only slight micromarring too...

dinosaur12
01-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Is it just the BMW flat paint (black, white...) that is so soft? Is the BMW metallic paint a bit harder?