PDA

View Full Version : Removing light swirls on jet black BMW.

deznium
01-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Hi,

I`m new to this forum and learning about detailing in general. I own a BMW 3 series in jet black `09 model. I have a few swirls which are pretty light but are all over the car given to me by my dealers car wash. I came across this thread here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/77859-test-swirl-removal-hand.html.

I was wondering if my swirls are light, can I get rid of them without using a machine just like shown on that thread? Do you recommend any products? Also, I have some swirls on the side panels of the doors. BMW has upgraded the side panels and made it glossy and you have to be now careful when you wash your cars otherwise those side panels will get scratched. Do you think I can remove swirls from the side panels as well?

Thanks for your help!

06c350sport
01-23-2009, 07:41 PM
As someone that owns a jet black Bimmer, I have the following suggestions:

1. Sell the car immediately, or

2. Have it stolen, and take the ins money and buy another color, or

3. Forget about having swirl-free paint

For light swirls Griots Machine Polish 4 works, even by hand, but an orbital and something like an LC Green pad is the way to go. CG Final Polish also works. Jet Seal 109 hides them pretty well too.

My condolences on your poor choice in paint. ;)

BigAl3
01-23-2009, 08:04 PM
another thread? Removing light swirls on jet black BMW. - Autopia.org (http://autopia.org/forum/car-detailing-product-discussion/115092-removing-light-swirls-jet-black-bmw.html)

--535--
03-12-2009, 12:18 AM
Yep, black BMW here too. Older than yours though. I have the Griot`s Garage orbital machine. Machine polish 3 has worked well for me paired with their orbital machine and orange pad. Machine polish 4 will probably do the job in your case. It is their most mild machine polish. I then use their best of show wax applied by an orbital machine. You can use any orbital with those products, also, they have a "hand polish" if you really don`t want to take a machine to it, but I have never used it, so I can`t tell you if it is more or less abrasive than machine polish 3 or 4. Good luck! I hope this helps, this is by no means the best way or the only way to do it, but being what my friends call a freak about car cleanliness and having an older black BMW, I have been able to keep the swirls out for the most part. The biggest thing once you get them out, is taking the proper steps to keep them to a minimum. Proper washing, regular waxing/sealing or polishing then waxing/swealing. Black was a great choice, but you will definitely get good at correcting those swirls, they really show!

imported_Ivan Rajic
03-12-2009, 12:47 AM
Hi,

I`m new to this forum and learning about detailing in general. I own a BMW 3 series in jet black `09 model. I have a few swirls which are pretty light but are all over the car given to me by my dealers car wash. I came across this thread here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/detailing-articles-videos/77859-test-swirl-removal-hand.html.

I was wondering if my swirls are light, can I get rid of them without using a machine just like shown on that thread? Do you recommend any products? Also, I have some swirls on the side panels of the doors. BMW has upgraded the side panels and made it glossy and you have to be now careful when you wash your cars otherwise those side panels will get scratched. Do you think I can remove swirls from the side panels as well?

Thanks for your help!

I`m not sure how the new paint is, but I had a 98 328i in jet black and it was fairly soft and a PITA to maintain! After doing a complete correction when I bought the car, I would probably polish it every 3-4 months with something pretty light, like 106ff/white LC pad on the PC just to keep it looking good... I would definitely recommend investing in a random orbital, like Meguiar`s G110, and some 5.5" LC pads from Autogeek.net... as for polishes, I would recommend Meguiar`s M8x polishes and/or the new M105/M205.

Good luck.

ps. I now own a 99 M3 in yellow and I sleep better at night knowing it`s not black haha

btmlinedan
03-13-2009, 02:19 PM
hey guys-

I`m just getting into this detailing thing ( well machine polishing ) and I also have a jet black 99bmw. A good friend told me to use 3m 6060 cutting compound and it`s worked great for everything BUT this car. I feel like it`s getting some micromarring in it, and it`s not coming out with the polish.

I have just a regular buffer (adj. speed) and a white pad and black pad. I know jetblack SUCKS but I have seen some people have some success.

Can anyone offer ANY POSITIVE advice to try and remove swirls and make it at least look even? The thing shines great in the sun, but once light hit it it looks like crap. Thanks guys