PDA

View Full Version : *** is this? PIC INSIDE

Pages : [1] 2

Carbon Blue
01-23-2009, 02:31 AM
UPDATE: Feb 5, 2009

The Megs body solvent just came in about a week ago and I was able to try it out on this exact same car. Conclusions you ask?? Megs body solvent hits like a little girl and barely did anything noticeable. Maybe this stuff does work wonders, but in this case it did little to nothing. The owner most likely said that the car will either have a whole wetsand job done or just leave it as is. Its really disappointing being finally beat. :wall I could wet sand it, but I do not have the tools to make this process and efficient as possible. I have done some scratches, headlamps etc, but I have never done a whole car.

Ok guys, a friend of mine brought in his car after it had been left out in front of a shop for three months as its motor was getting worked on. It seems there is some sort of invisible tree sap that was applied to the car via paintbrush, its EVERYWHERE. It seems to be blurring the clearcoat, feels like sand paper and has left light etch marks all over. Ive clayed it for HOURS and it has gotten slightly better, ive used purple foamed wool on a rotary at about 1600rpms with SIP and M95 and still no avail.

Ive tried an orange LC pad with SIP on a UDM and it still wont come off completely, it seems that whatever I try, it just wont get any better. He claims that there are no trees, or paint shops within the vicinity, the only thing I can think of left to do is wet sand the entire vehicle, does anyone else have any ideas of what I should try?

Products used

PFW with M95/SIP with a makita at 1600rpms

Orange LC with UDM speed 6 with SIP

Blue Clay magic

History

Car was detailed 10 months ago and P21s was the last LSP

Car was driven about 4 times within 7 months and washed twice

Left to sit on a lot exposed to the elements for the remaining three months.

http://media6.dropshots.com/photos/514576/20090121/184104.jpg

notice how the clearcoat looks slightly blurred and clouded

kaval
01-23-2009, 02:35 AM
It`s kind of hard to say from that picture, but it looks like there`s a lot of micromarring going on. In what order did you do those polishing steps?

Have you tried any other products to remove this residue such as Goo Gone or even mineral spirits?

eyezack87
01-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Since you tried all that, I would imagine a decontamination kit would be the ticket, though I don`t know if that`ll help as I just started researching on it...

Carbon Blue
01-23-2009, 02:38 AM
Hey there, I started the claying process first and worked my way from mild to strong polish. The pic used was before the claying process was started, it had only received a wash.

imported_themightytimmah
01-23-2009, 03:00 AM
Soak `er down with a strong but paint-safe solvent like Tarminator and try removal with a MF towel. If that doesn`t work, move up to lacquer thinner and a plastic razor blade. If that doesn`t work, wet sand with 2500 and buff.

BobD
01-23-2009, 07:18 AM
Could it be clearcoat failure? Is it all over the entire car or just on the paint? If not the whole car what panels? What make and model is the car?

Carbon Blue
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
the car is a 2001 Toyota Celica GTS, it has been repainted once in its life time if I remember correctly. The paint was in excellent shape when I last saw it 10 months ago. It is over every single part of the car, mostly the upper portions. But the windows, roof, hood, doors, trunk are all caked up with it

does anyone know if goo gone is safe for paint? Id like to use tarminator but Ive heard horror stories of that eating through the paint on bumpers :eek:

kaval
01-23-2009, 11:01 AM
the car is a 2001 Toyota Celica GTS, it has been repainted once in its life time if I remember correctly. The paint was in excellent shape when I last saw it 10 months ago. It is over every single part of the car, mostly the upper portions. But the windows, roof, hood, doors, trunk are all caked up with it

does anyone know if goo gone is safe for paint? Id like to use tarminator but Ive heard horror stories of that eating through the paint on bumpers :eek:

Goo Gone is completely safe for paint. Just use some precautions to be safe:

- make sure you are not in direct sunlight and the surface is not hot

- do not let it dry on the paint

I use Goo Gone to remove excess clear-bra residue.

Setec Astronomy
01-23-2009, 11:14 AM
What kind of shop was this? Do they do any welding or metal grinding? It could be spatter/slag etc., I think it was SuperBee that reported getting slag on his car from someone doing grinding at the dealer. If it`s metal, an acid decon would be indicated.

imported_JoshVette
01-23-2009, 11:46 AM
Try some 3M Adhesive Remover, Goo Gone or another chemical designed to remove adhesives or Bug and Tar remover.

If all those fail and you know how to wetsand then go at it with some 3000 grit or the like and then buff it all out again.:nixweiss Of course that`s a last resort only.

Josh

WhiteStripes
01-23-2009, 03:45 PM
You could give Meg`s Body Solvent a try, it`s supposed to be a little more mild than some of the other solvents.

Carbon Blue
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
thanks for the response guys, Ill have to look into trying some of that Megs body solvent.

mrfjsw294
01-23-2009, 05:07 PM
Soak `er down with a strong but paint-safe solvent like Tarminator and try removal with a MF towel. If that doesn`t work, move up to lacquer thinner and a plastic razor blade. If that doesn`t work, wet sand with 2500 and buff.

I`ll second this

If lacquer thinner wont take it off...wetsand is about the only other decent option.

Frito Bandito
01-23-2009, 06:27 PM
I hope I`m wrong but my money is on clearcoat failure. The paint on my sisters 03 Cavalier looked just like that before the paint totally failed.

04v8s4
01-23-2009, 11:42 PM
What was the clamate where the car was stored? What was around the car? Are we talking a city lot or something with trees all around?

That might help you chose the best removal method?