PDA

View Full Version : Winter depression!

Pages : [1] 2

gizzsdad
01-22-2009, 01:14 PM
I have been intending on ranting a little about what a depressing winter it`s been around here(Iowa) to try to keep a vehicle clean. We have been through several periods where we get a new storm every 3-4 days. Several have included significant ice accumulations.

I have snow piled about 4 feet high on both sides of my driveway. Many street corners have snow piled so high it`s difficult/impossible to look around the corner for oncoming traffic. Parking lots of box/grocery stores have snow 10-12 feet high 30-40 feet across the entire width of the parking lot. Because of the ice, our DOT has used copius amounts of salt and brine to try to keep roads clear. The other day the roads were dry but the salt cloud on the highway was so thick you could hold your french fries out the window for a few seconds if they weren`t salty enough for you.

Combine all this with abnormally low temps (-31F last week) and it`s really tough to find a time to wash a car without it freezing into a solid block. A trip to a detailer would be a huge waste of money as you couldn`t drive six blocks without the car looking exactly as it had before you went in. I have driven through a touchless drive through a few times, but the car is dirty before I get home. My wheel wells get so crammed with salty frozen slush, my suspension only has about 1/2" of travel. Today is supposed to get into the low 30`s, so we could wash cars, but if it stays warm we will have rivers of salty slush for weeks.

I haven`t washed/dried my car by hand since early Nov., and the prospects don`t look good right now. I`m glad I`ve got Zaino on my car, and DG 105 on the wife`s truck, but it sure would be nice to be able to clean them up and have them stay nice for a day or two. Sorry for the rant - how`s [U]your[U] winter going? And I`d really rather not hear from the Florida/Arizona guys.

craigdt
01-22-2009, 01:18 PM
I know just how you feel. Its not quite that bad here in Kansas though. I just hope and trust in the sealants Ive applied before winter and hope for the best. I spend most of the winter on autopia planning what Im going to buy next and learning how to improve my process.

Dont give up!

BigJimZ28
01-22-2009, 01:21 PM
WOW that does`t sound like fun

I was feeling bad that my car is a block of salt

but we should hit 49 on fri and I should have time for a wash & wax

kevpotts
01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear about the terrible weather. Its been unseasonably cold here recently as well, but obviously not as bad as you guys. I just want to wash my car, i dont feel like thats asking too much.

MichaelM
01-22-2009, 01:43 PM
Just be glad you don`t do this for a living!

gizzsdad
01-22-2009, 01:49 PM
PS - Forgot to mention the two giant rings of salt on my garage floor!!

MarcHarris
01-22-2009, 02:07 PM
lmao everything u said i was nodding my head to. at least it`s not quite as cold in michigan as what you have, but it`s driving me CRAZY. i just want to go outside in sandles in some 75 degree weather and wash my car.... :sigh:

few more months at most..

billium
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
I`m 25 miles away (ok, I`m south of you), my thermometer says 39 degrees in the SHADE. It`s summer out there Gizzdad and the forecast is for zero by Saturday, so it`s either today or next month.

If you don`t have time to clean your car up, at least go drive through campus town in Ames. The coeds are dressed like it`s summer!

Nothin` like winter in Iowa.

:woot2:

eyezack87
01-22-2009, 03:28 PM
You forgot to exclude SoCal people as well ;)

I can`t wash due to light drizzle since my car sits outside anyway. Was hoping to bust out my foam lance too :tumblewee

Apollo_Auto
01-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Winter seems to be getting the best of me here, too :(. If it isn`t snowing the water in my garage freezes and I can`t do any details... if it stops snowing and the weather warms up a bit, the water`s still frozen in my garage but I can turn the water back on in my garden and fill up my tank and be mobile again. But because it`s warmer, it`s now raining so no mobile details... :wall

JeffV
01-22-2009, 03:49 PM
A little off topic but, isn`t it amazing how a clean car looks when driving in the snow or just after the snow clears? Granted it only lasts for a short time but it sure is gratifying. Maybe it has something to do with how dirty everyone elses cars are.

Bigpoppa3346
01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
A clean car in the winter with the bright snow reflecting on the paint always looks awesome amidst a sea of grey, salt coated vehicles.

I it`s been almost 3 weeks since I`ve washed a car, thank God for the touchless and DIY washes around here.

imported_reeeko99
01-22-2009, 08:25 PM
I feel your pain. Another crappy Iowa weather.

Everyone at work is crabby as well. I need a vacation to get away form everyone.

I just keep thinking how nice / mentally refreshing it would be to be outside in 70 degree weather detailing one of my rides in the driveway............

Today actually felt good out and the air smelt refreshing...( 31 degree partly cloudy) and I was stuck inside all day doing upgrades.

Then I get a little time this Saturday and it`s suppose to get bitter cold again. geezs.

I do have some ONR I want to try out this winter.

and yes, it`s sure easy to pick out the CLEAN cars in the winter and how nice they look.

your drawn to them like a magnet.

2 more months of this?:nixweiss

Sal_Seth
01-23-2009, 01:54 PM
I know exactly what you mean... if it is of any solace to you, we in Toronto, Ontario got you Iowans beat in terms of how dirty our vehicles get.

ALAN81
01-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Sorry to here thew glum mood but do what I did MOVE SOUTH as SOUTH as you can get. Now its a little cold here 72 degrees but it will warm up tomorrow.