PDA

View Full Version : Just thinking out loud...

MCWD
01-20-2009, 02:46 PM
So I sit here and think to myself on this very cold day were work is limited, how can we market eco friendly detailing and washing better. There has been awareness of what it is and how it works, but I would really like to hear how all of you pitch it to your clients. My biggest thing that I like to remind myself and others of is the simple fact that using this cleaning products have no where near the harmful side effects to people, animals and the environment as traditional cleaners. Another note that I like to have my customers consider is that I am here to perform to the best of my ability and that moving in this direction will not only be praised by fellow industry leaders, but consumers will see the benifits and often times tend to lead to interesting conversations among friends. I just see so much positive coming out of this and would really like to hear how each of you put your own spin on this situation. Also, how do you respond to the negative arguments that some tend to mention when you talk about these new methods. I have actually had a customer say to me that he dirves a Ferrari that gets under 10 miles a gallon along with a super charged range rover and bentley flying spur and that he is not a person to be concerned with being green. He told me that he never wants to see his cars cleaned unless it involves a hose flooding his car with water, loads of soaps and cleaners, and a very thorough rinse. Even when I suggest that this method is going to be the future of this industry along with the pros of using it, he wanted to hear none of it. How can we argue the benefits appropriately and make strides in this industry with these eco friendly methods??? Fire away! Thank you gentlmen!!

Jason

:wow::hifive:

BobD
01-20-2009, 03:02 PM
One question to ask is if people really care about how eco friendly it is? Does anyone ever ask their oil change places if they recycle the oil? I think it would be more beneficial to educate the public on WHY it`s important to get their vehicles detailed and why they should take care of them. Especially in an economy where people might be keeping their vehicles longer.

XRL
01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
I`d say the best way to bring it up is to offer a normal detail line and an "eco-friendly" line. That way people have the choice between the two. Just as some people pride themselves on being eco-friendly, others pride themselves on NOT being eco-friendly. Don`t try to change their opinions on the subject, just sell them what they want.

brwill2005
01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
So far, I have just mentioned it on my website and to a few clients. It is definitely a niche market. Many people just do not care too much and others, like your client, are against it. When people purchase detailing services, they are purchasing the convenience as well as the actual service. Using things like a rinse less wash is more convenient because washing can be done in their garages during the winter months. If it was not for ONR, I could not maintain my clients cars on some days in the winter. I just started doing an email newsletter to my current clients. In the next issue I plan on including an article about this issue. Hopefully that will get people thinking and talking for that matter.

reparebrise
01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Personaly it is not a big part of my marketing, it`s just there. Unfortunatly consumers are getting green shoved down there face every day, some true, some hype. To add insult to ingury they are bieing charged more for eco services, when in reality they should be charged less.

In a mobile situation there is a very easy way to introduce it to your customers, start doing it. Many detailers that I have trained have simply just started using it, and after some time they then question the customers about there satisfaction, some customers have noticed the change(for the positive) while others were indiffernet to it.

To explain your change to your customers, yes bieng eco friendly is part of it, but the biggest part is economy. By telling your customer that you were faced with 2 options, 1 raising your prices and continue as always, or 2 adopting more efficent techniques that allow you to perform a higher quality of service, while at the same time maintianing current pricing. For your gas guzzler customer, if he does not mind paying for his excess consumption, then continue with the water, but also raise his price for the time it takes you to put out your reclaim mat, and collect the waste water, plus environmental fees for waste transport, and management, I am sure he will become eco then.

imported_WCD
01-21-2009, 05:40 PM
You can also point out that he does not take his Ferrari to the local car wash and they use tons of flowing water. Why not? Probably because he knows that they use cheap towels, dirty mitts, or other items that cause problems. Just because he wants lots of water draping over his car, does not = a clean and safe wash. Explain that the newer chemicals allow you to clean "clean" cars more efficiently and with higher quality. "My old wash product cleaned the paint, my new one cleans and protects."

Relaited
03-21-2009, 10:38 AM
I do not market to the customer so much.

But if they have a Ferrrari, then maybe they are in a gated community ... and I would definitely pitch teh Home Owner`s Association on why Water $mart Eco Detailing is a benefit for them.

Also, you mentioned it is cold ... pull it into the guys garage, turn on a space heater, and detail like it is summer time!

Sell the benefits, not neccessarily the features. Cleans shines and protects withut run off and a mess on your driveway!

-jim

imported_Jakerooni
03-21-2009, 12:07 PM
I was listening to the radio this morning and they made a huge point as to why hybreds sales are extreamly down (I think the number was 78% drop in only a years time) Because right now people are worried about thier wallets more than they are worried about the enviroment.

I mean alot of things about being "green" dosen`t make even a shred of sense to me. I for the life of my can`t figure out how something with no harmful additives or harmful processes that all cost "x" amount of dollars to put into a product can now cost twice as much if not more than the harmful products. Anyone trying to eat healthy lately? Why does the all natural food cost so much more than the processed food? Logically it should cost a lot less. But we spend money on any gimmick and the sharks figured out this cash cow and we eat it up like it`s gravy on thankgiving.

Same with Detailing. If you`re using steam and eco freindly products then your detailing in general should cost the customer alot less. However that`s just not the trend. Because it`s a new process people want to upcharge for being eco freindly. I mean if you can use steam to do 80% of your cleaning where`s the extra cost coming from? If you really want to make an impact and have "eco` freindly detailing take off then offer it at a huge discount over your normal detailing services and watch it take off like no ones business. Explain that it`s cheaper because less products and less waste equals less cost to you so you can pass the savings on to them.

white gecko 99
03-21-2009, 12:54 PM
For the Ferrari guy.... I can meet his requests. Send me his contact info!

:)

HappyWax
03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
To me, eco won`t truly take off unless it`s better (and marketed better)AND costs less.

This is the only concept I remember from my economics classes in college.

imported_WCD
03-21-2009, 08:44 PM
Well, San Diego City Council is poised to pass a new ordinance of 45% less usage by residents and businesses. If you don`t, your bill is multiplied by 5! That alone should help with marketing. Also, some cities are fining the prop. owner, not the detailer right now. Thus, a discharging detailer will cost the prop. owner up to 10k per occurrence in some southern CA . communities.

Maybe you should not push the eco model, but just push a very good model of doing cars. Customers do not stand out and watch us work..they give you their keys and go inside. When I used to try and explain to customers about my model, it confused them. If I just did the work, they were impressed.

Now, we work on customer service in a way that no one is doing. That service is what is going to make my business work- relationships, not just how you wash a car. Most customers want a clean car and to continue living and having fun while you do the work. So..do the work how you see fit and let your customer appreciate the look when done.

Costs: I am doing a car with about $1.15 per car in costs of my wash product. I guess it depends on your biz model--I have 3 packages with NO real detailing--appointment only for that.

However, we can wash a car for about $1.15 + towels and dressing for tires. Doing 4 per hour at $20 each (exterior only) isn`t going to break the bank or run me dry as I add in my insurance, payment gateway costs, website, etc.

That ALL said, much depends on location within the US.

How many times do detailers come here and argue over trite issues, when they should be talking about how to educate the consumer and add professional connotations to our industry?

Not that this is the thread you started..it is not. I just get going sometimes.

What each professional should focus on is the running of the business- not which product or procedure is best because that varies from detailer to detailer. What works on the east coast does not, or my not work here in CA.

I`d like to see more threads on marketing, invoicing, how to find and lock in weekly accounts, non-complete clauses, etc. Pictures of cars I detail are a waste of time!!! It is only for ego that you would put a picture of a detailed car online here..I used to do this! :)

Spend time running and acclimating to changes and you will survive.

Sounds like a detail preacher so I`ll go and apologize in advance if someone was offended, but if you were, that might actually be a good thing. Makes you think!

Have a great weekend, Rob Regan