PDA

View Full Version : Dammit, I want the truth!

Pages : [1] 2 3

flyfishindawg
01-19-2009, 08:50 PM
OK, here`s the deal. Once and for all, please, please, someone give me a definitive answer on the following:

I have read on more than one forum that buying expensive leather treatment products is a grand waste of cash for most leathers except for very high end cars. Is this, or is this not a true statement?

I only want answers from experts so that I can put this out of my mind once and for all.

I apologize for my tone but it seems like this topic just goes on and on and on with no clear answer.

Barry Theal
01-19-2009, 08:55 PM
you`ll get a lot of answers on this but if it means anything i have used a lot of them and to be honest i have found you get what you pay for!

Setec Astronomy
01-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I think the definitive answer is that there is no one "truth" for every car, every user, every situation.

MBurnickas
01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
You treat the coating on "most" modern leathers. These coatings need to number one be cleaned and number two have a product that will guard against drying and UV. I personally like a two step, but there are one steps that are pretty good. I don`t know if you need an "expensive" product, but it is a good idea to keep your leather clean and protected. For what it`s worth I use the Zaino twins, mainly cause I like the non oily protection and the smell, but there are good otc products too. Mothers reflections and believe it or not turtle wax is a good local product too.

XRL
01-19-2009, 09:10 PM
I think the definitive answer is that there is no one "truth" for every car, every user, every situation.

So then there is no truth, as a truth should be universal.

I think it all depends on what you`re going for in your results. Some people are satisfied with different levels. For many years I thought that just a normal wash and wax and wipedown with some armorall wipes was good. But now I`ve realized that it is not nearly good enough.

It also all depends on what you consider to be expensive. As with everything, the law of diminishing returns says that at some point you will get less benefit from every dollar you spend. So it might cost you an extra $50 for an extra 5% gain, as opposed to the lower levels where you can get a 2000% gain for $10.

Holden_C04
01-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Why would the leather in very high end cars require different treatment from the leather in more modest vehicles?

longdx
01-19-2009, 09:33 PM
Why would the leather in very high end cars require different treatment from the leather in more modest vehicles?

There are two distinct leather processes that are used on vehicles. The less expensive method is that the color is applied like a coating to the leather on the seats. You will usually find this on less expensive applications.

The more expensive process is a true vat process where the leather is submerged in whatever color. The color is absorbed into the leather ( as comparing to having a color basically sprayed on)making it a much more durable process than the one above.

The problem with the first process is that the coloring can be scrubbed off over years of use and temperature changes can dry out the coating/color. True leather (either application) needs to be treated periodically to maintain its looks and durability. The cleaning steps needs to be modified with the less expensive process as cleaning can actually take up the coloring.

mblgjr
01-19-2009, 09:46 PM
This won`t help much...but...

I`ve used Leatherique on BOTH coated leathers; "pleathers"; and nicer high-end leathers. IT WORKS ON ALL OF THEM!

I`ve tried Zaino; PB LeatherStuff; Eagle Ottowa; Meguiar`s; Lexol and Opt. Protectant Plus/Leather formulas.

As far as making the leather surfaces soft, supple, and clean...the Leatherique wins.

I didn`t think it could be "that great" and was VERY skeptical for a long time. However, for the money I spent on all the other stuff and was dissatisfied with; I should have just bought the Leatherique to begin with.

Just my opinion...

RDAutosport
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Just my opinion...

It is my opinion too, I recommend Leatherique and I have tried many other products and none of them compared IMO.

Regards,

Rich

Holden_C04
01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
There are two distinct leather processes that are used on vehicles. The less expensive method is that the color is applied like a coating to the leather on the seats. You will usually find this on less expensive applications.

The more expensive process is a true vat process where the leather is submerged in whatever color. The color is absorbed into the leather ( as comparing to having a color basically sprayed on)making it a much more durable process than the one above.

The problem with the first process is that the coloring can be scrubbed off over years of use and temperature changes can dry out the coating/color. True leather (either application) needs to be treated periodically to maintain its looks and durability. The cleaning steps needs to be modified with the less expensive process as cleaning can actually take up the coloring.

From your description, the two processes are almost identical in terms of the end result and, ignoring cost barriers, would require the exact same treatment (as I understand it based on your description).

longdx
01-20-2009, 12:03 AM
@Holden C04:

The answer is yes and no. Yes, because both need to be treated to maintain leather`s pliability: essentially protecting the end product in drying out and cracking.

No, in that the cheaper process will have diminished durability. If the leather "coating" for lack of better words is compromised than one has to be careful in the cleaning stage.

OTC all in one products are usually a better bet for the cheaper processes. Leatherette seems to be highly regarded.

XRL
01-20-2009, 12:25 AM
Does this apply to only natural leather or to the pleather/leatherette/vinyl "leather" found in your average car as well?

WhiteStripes
01-20-2009, 02:11 AM
Does this apply to only natural leather or to the pleather/leatherette/vinyl "leather" found in your average car as well?

I`m curious to know as well.

Accumulator
01-20-2009, 11:23 AM
So then there is no truth, as a truth should be universal..

Ooh ooh...just the kind of statement that`ll get me posting :D

Noting that I`m about as far from a Kantian as one can get, even from a broader perspective this isn`t a case of a single truth that oughta be universally applicable to the topic of "treating automotive leather". Rather there are truths.

There are different types of leather, and plenty of other potential differences too (UV exposure, type and degree of soiling, wear, etc.).

So what works for one person in one situation might not work for somebody else. IMO it`s another case of it being tough to generalize too much.

FWIW, *IME* (which might not be relevant to anybody else), most of today`s automotive leather doesn`t require much, if any, "treatment", it just needs to be kept clean. I`ve only treated the leather in my `01 S8 *once* and it`s like new other than some signs that the front seats do actually get used. OTOH, I`ve treated the leather in other Audis (I`ve been told it was the same leather) regularly and the one bolster that gets the most abuse still needed replaced after enough use/time- as best I can tell the treatment didn`t really provide any benefit. Completely different situation with my `85 Jag, which *must* be treated regularly....different leather, different...uhm, truth.

Here`s one to make us :think: :confused: I *never* treat the leather steering wheel covers in our Audis and I`ve never had a problem even after many years and many miles of driving. But I sold one nearly new Audi to a friend of mine and the leather on the wheel needed replaced after a few months! I suspect it was a combination of her handcream (or somesuch wildcard) and UV exposure, but still.... :nixweiss

Vinyl/etc.- While older vinyl/etc. seemed to dry out if not treated, that no longer seems to be the case (again, just *IME*). Using something with UV blockers would undoubtedly still be a good idea, but today`s automotive vinyl/plastic doesn`t seem to dry out the way the older stuff did. I *never* treat the interiors of my dog-haulers (for various reasons) but I keep them clean; no problems even after many years.

skylolow
01-20-2009, 04:05 PM
The way I look at it is it needs to be done but not often. Personally on my cars Lexus LS with the Coach leather interior and BMW 545i I do a leather treatment twice a year. Never had an issue with either one or any of my cars in the past. Best products I like that don`t break the bank(all two step products) is Lexol, Zymol, and Zaino.

Main thing is stay away from the low quality products like Armor All Leather cleaner/conditioner. Usually these products leave heavy oily residue behind and tend to dry out the leather over time.