PDA

View Full Version : A few questions (I tried search 1st)

PistolWhip
01-17-2009, 03:42 PM
I`m in the process of getting my equipment and products together for my spring detail on my Cobra and had a question about waxs and sealants;

I have never used a sealant on any of my cars, but I`m not scared:waxing: . I just really like that old school wet look of a good carnauba. I was wondering if there is any benefit to using both (or if it should even be done)? I have a new bottle of Klasse AIO which I purchased to use on my wife`s D/D which sits outside and doesn`t get the attention it deserves sometimes. I bought DoDo Juice Purple Haze for the Cobra (came highly recommended from a fellow Dark Shadow Gray Cobra owner). Can I put the Purple Haze on first and then apply the sealant on top to make it last longer but still get the carnauba look? Or should it be done visa versa? OR, is it a waste of time because one won`t bond to the other or something like that?

I`ve been lurking around this site for a long time and have read ALLOT of threads before I even registered, but I can`t seem to find a definitive answer to these questions. Thanx in advance guys!:2thumbs:

Accumulator
01-17-2009, 04:19 PM
We just went over this on a recent thread (last day or so) and I don`t have the time (or, to be honest, the inclination :o ) to retype it all now...but *IMO* unless you have some favorite combo that just thrills you (I do like Autoglym SRP topped with Souveran on my Jag), you should just pick one LSP and be done with it. Either wax or sealant, just redo it as needed.

FWIW, KAIO leaves *SO* little "sealant" behind that it`s basically just like using any other paint cleaner. Other AIOs, like Zaino or the SRP, leave more behind and might give a little extra protection.

Waxes bond fine to sealants, but after you do that you can`t add more sealant later (because sealants don`t bond to waxes).

imported_DetailDan
01-17-2009, 04:37 PM
I agree with Accumulator. I use either one or the other, not both. In general, you cant put a wax on before a sealant. But I also dont really believe the whole wax on top of a sealant thing because I dont believe the wax will even bond to the sealant.

PistolWhip
01-17-2009, 05:05 PM
That`s what I was thinking about the wax not bonding. I read the other thread that Accumulator was talking about and just got confused. Thanx for the answers and now there`s one more thread to come up with different search parameters. Its not always a bad thing to have the same question asked more than once...

If peope didn`t ask, you`d have nothing to read...

Accumulator
01-18-2009, 12:02 PM
I agree with Accumulator..But I also dont really believe the whole wax on top of a sealant thing because I dont believe the wax will even bond to the sealant.

Eh...you might not agree with me all that much after all :chuckle:

Waxes *IME* bond fine to sealants; I`ve done it enough to be 100% certain, at least with the products I`ve used that way. They *do* offer a different/better look. Just not worth the effort in most cases and that inablility to refresh the sealant is a killer. If I weren`t *so* happy with how the SRP/Souveran looks on the Jag`s weird paint...

.. I read the other thread that Accumulator was talking about and just got confused.

I gear responses to the specifics of the thread, and sometimes that can make it seem like I`m contradicting myself. If that happens, *please* bring it up for discussion so we can see what I was driving at and whether (or not) it applies to *your* situation.

imported_DetailDan
01-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Eh...you might not agree with me all that much after all :chuckle:

Waxes *IME* bond fine to sealants; I`ve done it enough to be 100% certain, at least with the products I`ve used that way. They *do* offer a different/better look. Just not worth the effort in most cases and that inablility to refresh the sealant is a killer. If I weren`t *so* happy with how the SRP/Souveran looks on the Jag`s weird paint...

Maybe I dont agree with you haha. One of the main things that stopped me from doing it was when I applied Lusso Oro over JS on a Bentley and it actually dulled the finish.

craigdt
01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
I intend on doing the EX-P, Nattys Blue combo. Ive seen a lot of vehicles done this way and am very impressed by the looks and durability. Just my opinion.

cougar2588
01-18-2009, 11:05 PM
wax on top of a sealent isnt a bad thing. it all really depends on what kinda detailer and person you are and how anal you really are about it. some people will tell you its overkill, and some people will tell you its a good thing to do because the sealant is just another level of protection underneath the wax.

i`m new to this whole thing like you are, but if your planning on just doing this as a protection thing, than i wouldnt bother with the sealant then wax, maybe just do two layers of the dodo wax. if your planning on doing a full paint correction, and you can afford the few days of down time it might end up taking you, just go all out and do the sealant too because that will even help protect the polish you lay down too.

Scottwax
01-18-2009, 11:39 PM
You can use the wipe on and done sealants like Opti-Seal, Ultima UPGP and Zaino Z-CS over cured carnauba to help lock in the look and give some added protection.

PistolWhip
01-19-2009, 12:30 AM
All god info guys, thank you very much for the clarification.

Accumulator
01-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Maybe I dont agree with you haha. One of the main things that stopped me from doing it was when I applied Lusso Oro over JS on a Bentley and it actually dulled the finish.

Well, there are all sorts of combos that do/don`t work and some of `em are kinda surprising. Guess that`s why it`s always at least a *little* risky to generalize. Sealant/wax combos I`ve tried worked OK but that doesn`t mean they all will.

Since I`ve never used either Lusso Oro or JS, well... what do *I* know about them?!? :nixweiss :D

I can imagine some waxes not bonding to super-slick sealants like UPP too.