PDA

View Full Version : Spit Shinning?

Beemerboy
10-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I was reading on another thread about removing the residue with a spray of Spray & Gloss and that acts like spit shinning....Having not heard of this before who`s done it and what results have you seen..Is this worth it?

Sounds to me that you would require two towels one for buffing after getting the residue off.......Could you not get the same results by using S&G after removing the residue?

Sherman8r44
10-04-2005, 12:21 PM
If you do a search you will find a lot of differing opinions as to what spit shining truly is. The way I see it, the method you talk about is simply qd`ing a car after putting down wax. It does make it easier to get residue off, and of course it gives a nice shine, but spit shining is really when you layer wax coats in such a way that the solvents of the later coat don`t dissolve the earlier one. So, what you would really do is mist qd before/during putting on the second coat of wax to provide a barrier between them. I personally think it`s a load of crap when using excellent waxes, although it might help when layering the others that have lots of solvents and petrolium distillates.

Miami_Sunset
10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
use s&G or Adams QD love the spit shine method makes polishing and wax buffing easier. :donatello

G35stilez
10-04-2005, 12:33 PM
Spit shining in a rough sense goes like this (on a clean surface):

-Spray on QD to panel and applicator
-Apply wax and let haze (or whatever it reccomends)
-Spray on QD to panel
-Wipe Clean

Technically there should not be a residue. I usually use Sonus Carnauba Spritz with this procedure. I keep my wax/spritz in the fridge for an hour or more before the procedure. It helps harden the wax hence producing sharper reflections. I think its easier to work with too.

Bill D
10-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Yeah, that is more or less the routine I do: spray down the panel with distilled water or carnauba QD, dampen a MF applicator with it and load it up with wax ( Souveran). apply small areas at a time, keeping them covered with droplets of distilled water/ QD, move on to another small section, go back to the first section and keep on buffing until the wax "disppears". Repeat the process until you`ve covered the entire panel. Then, go back and buff off with a MF. I prefer DF Towels for carnauba removal.