PDA

View Full Version : Ultima PGP - basic question

Pages : [1] 2

dinosaur12
01-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I am just starting to dive into the autopia way. Just did a wash/polish/wax on the wifes car and she was amazed. "I can see my self, its like a mirror" is what I heard from her :^)

I currently use a carnauba wax (PB red) but have been reading about UPGP and it might be more of what I am looking for.

I am more worried about durability then jaw dropping wet looks. Would carnauba be more durable then UPGP? Could I have a layer of wax and then put UPGP on top of it, or the opposite? Would this prevent water spots and/or swirls from showing up?

Thanks for your input.

Shuskan3
01-15-2009, 10:07 PM
UPGP is way more durable than any carnauba.

You would have to put the carnauba over UPGP, as UPGP will eat through anything underneath it.

Yes, it would help but not stop water spots and swirls from happening.

737-8dog
01-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Just used UPGP for the first time this week. Happy with the results but, I believe there are better alernatives when cost is taken into account. Plan on trying opti-seal in the very near future and possibly zaino cs. Sealant first and carnuba on top after product has cured.

Bigpikle
01-16-2009, 06:09 AM
you can put UPGP over a nuba with no issues as well - unlike most sealants ;)

dinosaur12
01-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Can anyone else chime in as to if you can put UPGP ontop of a wax or under. I just wanna use up my existing wax, I hate to waste stuff (I also love the smell of that stuff, as lame as it sounds).

Thanks for the input so far guys.

kevpotts
01-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Id put the nuba on top of the upgp. thats what i do!

salpac
01-16-2009, 07:18 AM
I used upgp last year and gave it away. the claims were that it is better than zaino and os but I found that not nearly true. back to ol reliable for me.

JSFM35X
01-16-2009, 07:28 AM
My opinion of the Paint Guard Plus is that it is simply the best protection you can buy. And after the initial shock, of the sticker price the products is down right cheap on a cost per car basis. I have seen the Zaino and OPti-Seal on cars and it look really nice. I cannot speak for durability, but the Ultima give me a true reflection. It is so crazy. Once you can see the difference, you cant go back. Its like music. Once you can hear the difference, you can`t go back to cheap components. I can be a curse at times.

I applied 3 coats of Ultima Paint Guard in August and its still protecting my car today. I prep`d the car with Ultima Paint guard prep and them applied 1 coat saturday, sunday did a Ultima QD wipedown, and applied another coat Sunday. And a wash and QD the following Saturday and another coat of UPGP. WOW, this stuff get deeper and wetter witheach coat. My car is super slick. Nothing sticks and its easy to clean.

Application takes some time to perfect. Less is more. First time I used enough to do 4 cars. had some streaking that the QD removed. 2nd application was much easier and went on better and dried really good. By the third coat, I got it on perfectly. No streaks. You need to remember, use no more than 1 squirt per pannel. And 1-2 squirts to prepare the MF applicator. We need somone to do a video on this product!

I like the reflected gloss. it is the most optically perfect products I have found. I would never put a carnuba over it IMHO.

I was set to buy Zaino when I got a money back offer on the Ultima. Have not looked back since.

There are alot of good products out there, I am looking for the following equation:

Best protection(beading, bird bomb protection and slickness)-with the best look (optical close to perfect as possible)-in the least time-for a good price. To me the Ultima is that! The Prep before the 1st coat is KEY to any product you use. Ultima is no different.

dervdave
01-16-2009, 09:05 AM
Can anyone else chime in as to if you can put UPGP ontop of a wax or under. I just wanna use up my existing wax, I hate to waste stuff (I also love the smell of that stuff, as lame as it sounds).

Thanks for the input so far guys.

Use it under and over no problem same great results.

wannafbody
01-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Zaino CS has the edge on pricing. You can get the Zaino triplets for what Ultima PGP costs.

Cleaning Fool
01-16-2009, 04:01 PM
Zaino CS has the edge on pricing. You can get the Zaino triplets for what Ultima PGP costs.

Autopia has the 12 oz on sale for $42, not bad.

JSFM35X
01-16-2009, 04:21 PM

For that matter you can get 20 turtle wax for the price of Ultima. Zano CS is not in the same league as Ultima. The Ultima, out lasts the CS and is more optically correct from day 1. I have several friends who left Zaino when they saw the UPGP. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. My friends black 911 looks better longer and has a million mile reflection. Cost per car is very low on the Ultima. 4 oz will do almost 12-15 cars once you know what your doing. 1 Spritz per pannel is all it takes. Plus your not locked into all Zaino products.

Legacy
01-16-2009, 04:54 PM
For that matter you can get 20 turtle wax for the price of Ultima. Zano CS is not in the same league as Ultima. The Ultima, out lasts the CS and is more optically correct from day 1. I have several friends who left Zaino when they saw the UPGP. Do yourself a favor and give it a try. My friends black 911 looks better longer and has a million mile reflection. Cost per car is very low on the Ultima. 4 oz will do almost 12-15 cars once you know what your doing. 1 Spritz per pannel is all it takes. Plus your not locked into all Zaino products.

+1 UPGP is the bomb!!!

superchargedg
01-16-2009, 06:57 PM
I have to agree as i got the the sampler 4oz packsge and it will last me a few years as so little is needed.

wannafbody
01-16-2009, 07:24 PM
+1 UPGP is the bomb!!!

I seem to remember a thread where Todd did Ultima vs Z2pro and Z2pro beat Ultima in durability. Granted, I do believe that Ultima and ZCS are more comparable products. Did they ever get the cloudiness issue worked out with Ultima? I also seem to remember that polycharger based products have a one year shelf life-maybe I`m mistaken:nixweiss