PDA

View Full Version : The original Simonize Paste Wax

imported_Larry A
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Does anybody still use the Original Simonize Paste Wax ? In its day it was the best out there although it was hard to use. When I started waxing my fathers car , thats all I used. His maroon 1946 Dodge and later his green 1951 Desoto really looked great. It made the maroon and green colors look very rich.

longdx
01-15-2009, 04:02 PM
I haven`t used it in over 20 years. There are so many newer formulated paste waxes that have the same durability, gloss retention, and much better ease of use than Simonize. (Collinite, Megs GC, P21, PB`s Natty wax to name a few)

lbls1
01-15-2009, 04:23 PM
I used it once on my first car a little more than 20 years ago. It was a bear, and memory serves me that it took the whole afternoon; However I was really impressed with its looks. In looking back, however, I could`ve detailed that car with the Simonize in less time and hassle with some of the techniques I`ve learned over the years. Twenty years have also produced many new and improved products, paint formulations and techniques that, to me, have eclipsed some of the finish qualities that simonize used to tout.

I`d love to have a tin of that stuff, just for the sake of nostalgia.

Scottwax
01-15-2009, 06:32 PM
I have older customers who tell me how much they loved the look back in the day...and hated how long it took to buff off.

wannafbody
01-15-2009, 06:37 PM
If you want old school use Collinite

BigJimZ28
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I have a tin of Simonize vinyl top protector wax that is prob older then me

soccerjunky
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Scott , a member on the viper club of america website is looking for a detailer in mansfield(south of arlington), i passed on your website address

Scottwax
01-15-2009, 10:42 PM
Scott , a member on the viper club of america website is looking for a detailer in mansfield(south of arlington), i passed on your website address

Thank-you, he did contact me. :)

Showroom Shine
01-16-2009, 07:38 AM
Does anybody still use the Original Simonize Paste Wax ? In its day it was the best out there although it was hard to use. When I started waxing my fathers car , thats all I used. His maroon 1946 Dodge and later his green 1951 Desoto really looked great. It made the maroon and green colors look very rich.

You are telling your age. I have not seen any of that wax in years. My dad also used it. With all the new products that are easier to use with similar or same benefits, I doubt if anyone would use it besides us older guys! I could probably get US a discount with my AARP card! LOL

imported_Larry A
01-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Simonize Paste Wax came out in 1910 to be used on the then color varnish that they used to paint cars with. Color varnish didnt hold up very good , so Simonize would help protect the finish. It was very popular fron 1910 till the early 50s. Before Simonize liquid cleaner came out you cleaned your paint with Dupont #7 cleaner and polish. Simonize also made a paste cleaner that was like rubbing coumpond. On color varnish you used a product to clean the varnish called Rottenstone, which was a gray power that you mixed with water , and rubbed the varnish down. Well this is the end of the history lesson for now .

dave40co
01-16-2009, 10:07 AM
I spent way to many hours waxing my Dad`s Chryslers and Plymouths back in the 60`s and 70`s with that stuff. Pain in the butt to remove!

grisby
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I remember doing my Dads car with Simoniz (in the 60`s) and it was a bear. I will never forget the day when he bought a new wax home. It was Rallye wax, man I thought I was in heaven compared to the Simoniz. But after than ran out he went back to Simoniz -- he said if you didn`t work hard on the wax it wouldn`t last. Funny thing I remember is I was the one who was doing the waxing!!!!!!

Thanks

bill g

ALAN81
01-16-2009, 11:16 PM
I iuse to pay my friend $65 to do my 1977 Oldsmobile Cutless. What a beautiful finish but to get off the paint OMG.

Danspeed1
01-17-2009, 12:43 AM
The Liquidators by me is going out of business. The place has probably been around for about 25 to 30 years... its a real dump. Anyway, I was in there with my father a couple weeks back (he loves heading into places that are going out of business in search of "deals") and it appears as though they had about 40 bottles of this stuff that they had "forgotten" to shelve years ago. When they were cleaning out the store they apparently someone threw this stuff up on the shelf, or at least that`s how it appeared to me. The bottles were really old in any event, and I highly doubt it was still good. But I thought it was interesting.

DG

imported_Larry A
01-17-2009, 09:23 AM
The secret in using Simonize was to put it on in small areas at a time You almost had to take it off as fast as you put it on . A hood would have to be divided into 6 sections, and never do it in the sun or if the paint was hot.