PDA

View Full Version : Engine cleaning

bimmerzhp
01-15-2009, 12:46 PM
I have two questions. What do members do to clean under the hood. Does a company make a cleaner you can spray aorund under the hood that is safe to all wires and hoses that can be hosed off? The other question is my father scratched his window removing snow. The scratch is deep enough to catch your nail. Any suggestions to remove or correct?

BobD
01-15-2009, 12:48 PM
It`s not really the wires and hoses you have to worry about. It`s the bare aluminum block if you are worried about it oxidizing / etching. There are tons of engine cleaners out there. I prefer citrus based cleaners for under the hood.

Sometimes you can wet sand a scratch out but if it`s that deep you might have to see if a window repair tech can fix it.

bimmerzhp
01-15-2009, 01:14 PM
Citrus based such as P21S?

bimmerzhp
01-15-2009, 01:17 PM
How about P21S total auto wash?

BobD
01-15-2009, 02:36 PM
How about P21S total auto wash?

That is actually what I use.

craigdt
01-15-2009, 02:46 PM
Ive used Gunk Citrus engine brite. you just spray it on, let it sit a bit, and then wipe off all the surfaces. It leaves a nice shine on everything. Its super cheap as well. Its at AutoZone.

BigJimZ28
01-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Ive used Gunk Citrus engine brite. you just spray it on, let it sit a bit, and then wipe off all the surfaces. It leaves a nice shine on everything. Its super cheap as well. Its at AutoZone.

yea if you have a grease-bomb of a motor in an older car Gunk works great

but IMO most of the time it is overkill

Accumulator
01-16-2009, 11:02 AM
I like the TAW too, it`s nice and safe.

I use the "Engine Cleaners" from TOL, Griot`s, and others on really nasty ones, usually in conjunction with my steamer.

Once things are clean, I keep `em that way with a quickie touch-up (using BHBs and sorta-strong shampoo solution, the same approach I use in wheel wells) at every wash.

bimmerzhp
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
I think I will go with P21S. I think total bike cleaner by S100. I might use that, it is cheaper and I am guessing it is the sme product.