PDA

View Full Version : Stay with the EDGE pads, or LC

Bullitt
01-14-2009, 05:44 PM
:work:I`m currently using Edge pads. These pads do the job but have such a gap between the buffer and the pad. I`m using them with a DeWalt rotary. I also can only find them in 6" or greater. I`m getting more than DD`s now and most of the cars have small sections that I can`t reach with a 6 or 7 inch pad. If I switch to the LC pads, what backing plate should I get? And what pads are a must have? Now if any of you know where I can find smaller Edge pads, that would be great and save some time and money. I just see all the pro`s using a backing plate, and I think this might help, because the Edge pads tend to bounce. If I`m way off base here and the Edge pads are fine feel free to let me know. For instance, I`m detailing a Ford GT on Monday and I know I`m going to need a smaller pad. Running low on time and need help.

Thanks guys

BigJimZ28
01-14-2009, 05:56 PM
edge makes 4" pads:

Cyclo Double Precision pads are double-sided foam buffing pads for the Cyclo polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/doubleprecision-cyclo-pads.html)

do I get a prize?:LOLOL

Bullitt
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
So where can I pick up some 4" Edge Pads.

Bullitt
01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Nevermind, I overlooked your link. Thanks for the help. You saved me b/c I needed these ASAP

BigJimZ28
01-14-2009, 06:02 PM
So where can I pick up some 4" Edge Pads.

I gave you a link in my post :doh

Bullitt
01-14-2009, 08:22 PM
Have any of you used the 4" edge pads on a rotary, because it says there for the Cyclo or PC.

Envious Eric
01-14-2009, 09:00 PM
4" is 4"...doesnt really matter from my experiences...

Bullitt
01-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks, thats what I figured, appreciate the help.

wannafbody
01-15-2009, 08:16 AM
Both mnaufacturers use some of the same foams as well.

imported_rydawg
01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
When it comes to high quality precise cut and finish I only trust LC. I still have pads from last year that have been used on 50 plus cars that are still in superb condition.

Envious Eric
01-15-2009, 10:24 AM
^^^ same here

Accumulator
01-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Eh..Cyclo brand pads can last forever too, and my Edge ones seem to be the same stuff (talking 4" here).

I find that depending on the job I sometimes do best with an Edge, or a LC, or a Meguiar`s, or a Griot`s (talk about a polishing pad that`ll last forever!), or a Sonus (haven`t tried 3M) and all seem to be of comparable quality/durability/etc. They have their differences but it`s not like I`ve ever found anything *wrong* with any one brand.

(Yeah, I somehow managed to avoid the velcro issues that`ve supposedly plagued certain pads in the past.)