PDA

View Full Version : Bad Swirl Marks

H4M4NN
01-13-2009, 09:10 PM
Hi, I recently bought a marvelous ford fiesta xr4 just 2 days ago, and yesterday I walked past it while in the sun and I saw the damage (Swirl Marks) that the previous owner inflicted on it. Is there a "non-professional" way of removing these swirl marks?

Thanks

XRL
01-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Polish should be able to take it out, hand polishing can be a pain though. If you have a DA buffer or a rotary it shouldn`t be too too bad. But now you need to post pics ;)

craigdt
01-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I used to attempt to use Meguiars ScratchX by hand before I had a DA. I ended up never using the stuff again because I was frustrated with the lack of swirl removal and amount of work required.

The moral of the story is, if you want to remove swirls effectively on any significant amount of your car and without getting a hernia, it will take some manner of "professional" work.

You can buy a starter kit that will have just about everything you need for about $250.

Accumulator
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Hi, I recently bought a marvelous ford fiesta xr4 just 2 days ago, and yesterday I walked past it while in the sun and I saw the damage (Swirl Marks) that the previous owner inflicted on it. Is there a "non-professional" way of removing these swirl marks?

Welcome to Autopia!

There area some new products on the market that make this a lot easier than it woulda been even a year or so ago.

Check out Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound and their Swirl-X. Those oughta do the job, but it *will* be a job-of-work doing it by hand.

H4M4NN
01-16-2009, 06:43 AM
I used to attempt to use Meguiars ScratchX by hand before I had a DA. I ended up never using the stuff again because I was frustrated with the lack of swirl removal and amount of work required.

The moral of the story is, if you want to remove swirls effectively on any significant amount of your car and without getting a hernia, it will take some manner of "professional" work.

You can buy a starter kit that will have just about everything you need for about $250.

Thanks alot! I recently bought a Meguiars Hand Polisher machine and a botte of Meguiars ScratchX and im glad to announce that the car is as shiny and scratchless as when It first came out of the showroom. Thank You