PDA

View Full Version : Couldn`t Believe This!!!

ricka
01-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Bought a nice clean 2005 Infiniti G35 for my son. Everything is great EXCEPT that the dealer had painted a special offer on the windshield with some kind of indelible paint. The dealer "washed" the car before delivery, got the colored portion of the paint off but the outlines of the characters were still very evident on the way home.

Figured screw it, I`ll take care of it. Simple washing didn`t work. Invisible glass didn`t work. Claying didn`t work. Even nail polish remover didn`t work. So I pulled out the pc with a white pad and 3.0 swirl remover. THAT didn`t work. Only when i went to a 4" orange pad, 3.0 and speed six did it start coming off. Of course every time I thought I had it clean, another angle showed some left. It literally took 8-9 passes. I had clayed and detailed and sealed the car in 1.5 hours. Took the windshield nightmare alone almost 2 hours. What a beating!

Called the dealer and strongly suggested using SIGNS next time. Those are two hours I`ll never get back.

Heavy sigh.

Dsoto87
01-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Could you have used a razor blade?

craigdt
01-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Wow imagine that. Another car harmed by a dealership.

Well I do give you props on sticking with it.

Any pics?

ricka
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Could you have used a razor blade?

dang, never thought of that! however, always a little skittish about scratching glass as i have a couple of aquariums and once they scratch that is it.

they were BIG characters too.

MBurnickas
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
You would rather use a orange pad with swirl remover on glass than a razor blade? A sharp razor blade tilted is harmless on glass, I use them all the time. Most of the time I find a solvent will work as good if not better than a razor. Anyhow, live and learn.

Dsoto87
01-13-2009, 09:18 PM
always a little skittish about scratching glass as i have a couple of aquariums and once they scratch that is it.

I have heard that automotive glass is "softer" than other glass. I dont know if theres any truth to that. I have also used a razor blade on my cars glass with absolutely no problems.

And to add to that I also have/had a few tanks and a razor blade is possibly one of the best cleaning tools for the glass. I like it better than those scouring pads

backwoods_lex
01-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Was it the "ghosting" of letters left behind or actual paint still on the glass? I`ve used OHC and a yellow pad via PC after a decal removal and there was still ghosting on the glass.

ricka
01-13-2009, 11:54 PM
Was it the "ghosting" of letters left behind or actual paint still on the glass? I`ve used OHC and a yellow pad via PC after a decal removal and there was still ghosting on the glass.

Come to think of it, it could have been ghosting. Never had to deal with it before. In hindsight, might opt for the razor next time.

Still ticks me off that I even had to deal with it. I can`t be the only one ever to face it. You`d think dealers would know better--wait, what am I saying?

Preachers Sheets
01-14-2009, 06:47 AM
You could of used acetone (spelling). It should remove stuff like that in seconds. I bet that part of your windsheild is pretty clean now :-)

ricka
01-14-2009, 06:53 AM
You could of used acetone (spelling). It should remove stuff like that in seconds. I bet that part of your windsheild is pretty clean now :-)

ya know, when the nail polish remover test didn`t work i didn`t think of acetone.

anyway, the windshield did get amazingly clean (darn near invisible even when driving into the sun). so much i had to do the same to the audi`s (not nearly as many passes though:hmph:)

89gt-stanger
01-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Wow. Thats unfortunate. Could of spent that time putting a coat of Collinite on it :p

siperwrx
01-14-2009, 12:33 PM
I wonder of Powerclean would`ve worked, that stuff is really strong.