PDA

View Full Version : ONR and Ultima

737-8dog
01-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I used ONR today for the first time and would like to say thanks to those of you have provided so much information about the product. ONR got the paint on my new Tacoma very clean. I have one ? How saturated should the wash mit be? I started out with 2 gallons of water and had about 1/2 a gallon left after washing my truck. Also, I used ultima paint guard plus. This was my first time using a wowa product and I really enjoyed the ease of use. I used too much product and must do a better job or else I cannot justify the cost! Anxious to see how the sealent holds up over time. Might try Zaino or optimum if cost becomes an issue. Also, the spray bottle that came with the ultima is junk.

Scottwax
01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
The pad should be as saturated as you need it to be to remove the dirt. You shouldn`t have to slop a ton of water on with the mitt but it needs to be more than just damp too. Sorry I can`t give a precise answer but it really depends on how dirty the vehicle is.

Mobilejay
01-13-2009, 05:21 PM
About the Ultima, I`m assuming you are talking about Paint Gaurd Plus. I haven`t used the big bottle I`ve only used the small 4 oz. That small size lasted me a good while, I did a lot of cars with it. The more you use it the easier it gets to learn how to apply it very thin. After a few coats of that it will look even better and will last quite a while.

737-8dog
01-13-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks Scottwax and mobilejay. The car was pretty clean. 1st attempt with ONR. Sure it will get easier with experience. I used a microfiber mit. Bought the 12oz bottle of ultima paint guard plus. Will call them tomorrow to see if they will send a new spray bottle. Search showed that their nozzle has issues! Plan on buying optiseal to give it a try as well. ONR is going to be a staple in my detailing arsenal with the water restrictions here in ATL. Thanks again guys.

Mobilejay
01-13-2009, 05:56 PM
OS is a little easier to apply than UPGP. They both go on the same but give you different results. The OS will make the paint look wetter and deeper. The UPGP will give it crazy sharp reflection. They are both exceptional products.

Cleaning Fool
01-13-2009, 08:28 PM
So far in my tests Opti-Seal is easier to apply than Ultima. Agree with Mobil Jay. I still like OptiSeal better. Kinda bummed tho I`m completely out of OptiSeal

backwoods_lex
01-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Be certain to use a high quality microfiber when drying. I ONR`d my car today and caused some significant marring from not doing so (I can only blame myself). Great product though.

737-8dog
01-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Used a microfiber drying towel from autozone. Unsure if it is "high quality" or not. Paint looks really good after ONR and UPGP.

backwoods_lex
01-14-2009, 12:46 AM
Chemical guys offers plush 12 pack of MF for about $35. It`s on my shopping list.

dervdave
01-14-2009, 12:56 AM
UPGP is put on very thin like your applying nothing (1or 2 mini sprays per panel) but OS is a bit more forgiving because it doesn`t flash off so quick you can put it on slightly thicker and work it.

I should live long enough to use up a 12 oz bottle of UPGP :rolleyes:

kevpotts
01-14-2009, 08:08 AM
I have the 4oz bottle of upgp. I`ve used it on probably 5 cars, give or take, and have barely made a dent in the bottle. id say its still 80% full.

dublifecrisis
01-14-2009, 08:22 AM
To the topic starter-I usually use 2 wash mitts with an ONR wash. When I grab a sopping wet mitt out of the mix bucket, I let SOME of the solution drip back into the bucket. I would say I pick it up and let it hang there for about 3 seconds. I don`t wring it out but I don`t want a damp wash mitt, I want it to have plenty of solution on it. I rinse the mitt each panel in a seperate rinse bucket which is why it helps to have a 2nd always soaking and ready to go.

I usually have a gallon or less of solution when I`m done and I oftne use that remaining for plastic trim or the grey plastic lower panels etc. Also great for wheels if they just need a quick wipedown.

Opti-seal is awesome. I`ve done 12-15 layers on various cars and have PLENTY left. Never tried UPGP but hear great things about it.

Preachers Sheets
01-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Is this product intended for cars that just need a wipe down/minor wash or can it be used on a car that was driven around in the snow for a week?

I wouldnt want to scratch the paint.

737-8dog
01-14-2009, 11:38 AM
To the topic starter-I usually use 2 wash mitts with an ONR wash. When I grab a sopping wet mitt out of the mix bucket, I let SOME of the solution drip back into the bucket. I would say I pick it up and let it hang there for about 3 seconds. I don`t wring it out but I don`t want a damp wash mitt, I want it to have plenty of solution on it. I rinse the mitt each panel in a seperate rinse bucket which is why it helps to have a 2nd always soaking and ready to go.

I usually have a gallon or less of solution when I`m done and I oftne use that remaining for plastic trim or the grey plastic lower panels etc. Also great for wheels if they just need a quick wipedown.

Opti-seal is awesome. I`ve done 12-15 layers on various cars and have PLENTY left. Never tried UPGP but hear great things about it.

I think I used too much water but the end result was pretty good. Sure there is a learning curve with ONR. Had numerous streaks from the UPGP and they buffed out easily with a microfiber and some QD. Looking forward to seeing how opti-seal compares.

To the above poster. Others here have much more experience with ONR but, I would go to a do it yourself car wash and wash off the worst of the grit, dirt, salt, mud etc. before using ONR.