PDA

View Full Version : Best Finishing Polish for SIP/Orange on Ceramiclear and PC pad Question

Pages : [1] 2 3

lostdaytomorrow
01-12-2009, 08:54 PM
What`s the best Menzerna finishing polish for a 2-step process after using SIP/Orange on a Mercury Metallic Red C6 Vette. I have some IP and Final Polish but I`m thinking the 106FA or the FPII or the PO85rd might be a better choice than the Final Polish because it has a cut/gloss rating of 3/4 which seems on the high side.

I will of course be using a white pad to apply this finishing polish and this is all being done on a 7424.

Are these ratings a good way to know which polish to use or for marketing purposes?

Just as an aside question, what`s the best pad on the 7424 to appy KAIO and Souveran Paste? Of course I can do them both my hand with the small yellow foam pad put which pad on the PC is a good choice for an AIO and a paste wax? Black, Blue, or Red?

Thanks for the help.

imported_DieselMDX
01-13-2009, 08:00 AM
85Rd is the best finishing polish around IMO

imported_beachwolverine
01-13-2009, 08:10 AM
I`ve used Final Polish with a white pad on Lexus paint with good results. SInce you have the Final Polish, I would suggest you try that first and if you don`t like it, you can pick up some 85rd - or any of the 1,000 other recommendations you will get.

gigondaz
01-13-2009, 09:43 AM
IMO,

For hard clears: proceed to PO85RD. nice gloss/shimmer!

For soft clears: 106FF and then PO85RD.

I always use LC white foam pad (spritzed with a little QD) on 7424 to apply Klasse AIO.

No problems at all. LC`s black foam pad is fine too...but not enough cleaning power sometimes.

blk45
01-13-2009, 11:02 AM
What`s the best Menzerna finishing polish for a 2-step process after using SIP/Orange on a Mercury Metallic Red C6 Vette. I have some IP and Final Polish but I`m thinking the 106FA or the FPII or the PO85rd might be a better choice than the Final Polish because it has a cut/gloss rating of 3/4 which seems on the high side.

I will of course be using a white pad to apply this finishing polish and this is all being done on a 7424.

I wouldn`t go from SIP/orange to a final polish. I would use 106FF/FA on a white and then go to 85rd on a blue pad. Vette clears are hard, so 85rd would be a better choice than 87mc. This would yield the best results.

You can try the products that you already have and you may achieve a finish that you are happy with.

gtpaul
01-13-2009, 11:48 AM
I agree.

SIP

PO203 or PO106FF/FA (both finish down great, PO203 having more cut)

Po85rd

loudog2
01-13-2009, 12:51 PM
I wouldn`t go from SIP/orange to a final polish. I would use 106FF/FA on a white and then go to 85rd on a blue pad. Vette clears are hard, so 85rd would be a better choice than 87mc. This would yield the best results.

You can try the products that you already have and you may achieve a finish that you are happy with.

I agree. SIP/orange, 106FA/white and 85RD/gray or blue. Souveran is probally easier to apply by hand than PC. It is a wipe on wipe off method. One panel at a time. It goes on and off very easy.

You could also try the power finish 203 with a white pad. Then the 106FA with a gray. If you wanted to try a 2 step. How bad is your paint?

Accumulator
01-13-2009, 04:54 PM
lostdaytomorrow- On hard clear 1Z High Gloss works well. You can use it with a 4" polishing pad as a follow-up to medium aggressive polishing and also with a finishing pad for burnishing/jeweling.

Yeah, KAIO works great via PC and which pad is sorta just personal preference on paint like yours. On hard clear like yours you can use most polishing pads (more open/porous texture works well with KAIO IME) and I like the Griot`s orange polishing pad (*VERY* different from the usual orange light cut pads, this isn`t a typical "orange pad"!). Note that most polishing pads have zero functional cut when used damp with KAIO, so it seldom really matters except on soft paint.

Much as I like doing stuff by machine, I do Souveran by hand. But when applying paste waxes by machine you can use whichever "finishing" pad you like; they`re all zero cut (functionally speaking) so it`s not like one or another will mess up your paint.

lostdaytomorrow
01-13-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks very much for all the input. I am thinking I`ll pick up some 85rd and 106fa on my next order.

So what do most people use to apply the KAIO, usually by hand or on a machine and which pad to most use if using the machine? The KAIO will be used as a sealant underneath the Souveran if that makes any difference. How long does the KAIO need to cure before I apply the Paste Souveran by hand?

Also, one thing I can`t find is if the gray and black LC pads are the same or not? The brochure I got with my pads doesn`t even list a black pad in their list.

The paint is very bad with numerous RIDS, cobwebs, and some hologramming as well.

Accumulator
01-14-2009, 11:55 AM
So what do most people use to apply the KAIO, usually by hand or on a machine and which pad to most use if using the machine?

I suspect your over-thinking this. The KAIO is functionally nonabrasive on most paint (let alone hard stuff like yours). So are most polishing pads. Use whatever you like but make sure it doesn`t get caked/clogged/loaded with product (more likely with less-porous pads).

The KAIO will be used as a sealant underneath the Souveran if that makes any difference. How long does the KAIO need to cure before I apply the Paste Souveran by hand?

Don`t expect the KAIO to do much of any sealing. Despite the ad-copy it`s really just a good paint cleaner. The minimal amount of stuff it leaves behind isn`t enough to give a second thought to (there are other products like this that *do* leave an appreciable amount of stuff behind). I`d go right ahead and apply the Souveran, but don`t expect any better durability/protection that you`d get with Souveran alone.

Also, one thing I can`t find is if the gray and black LC pads are the same or not? The brochure I got with my pads doesn`t even list a black pad in their list.

AFAIK people just use "black" or "gray" interchangeably. Some of mine look darker/lighter so I guess it`s understandable.

The paint is very bad with numerous RIDS, cobwebs, and some hologramming as well.

Concentrate on doing the correction, the KAIO and Souveran will be easy as can be by comparison. I used Souveran on my last `vette (even the underneath) but *man* did I have to redo it frequently.

cashishift
01-14-2009, 02:07 PM
so what is the big difference between po87 and po85?

is there really a need to get both?

I guess I want to make my first Menzerna purchase coming up here, and I am going to be detailing some friends cars.. and mine.. cars range from a 07 MB CLS 550, to a Black 04 Honda Accord Coupe, to my 05 Nissan Altima SE-R.. kinda want to get a polish "regime" that will work on all of them.

I have a PC 7424, 2 White 2 Black and 1 blue LC CCS pads.. planning on getting atleast 1 yellow, probably 2-3 Orange, and one more White.

Any thoughts on getting the above pads in 5.5 instead of 6.5? I have detailed many cars in the past but never with a machine.

blk45
01-14-2009, 03:16 PM
87mc is not designed for ceramic clears, 85rd is. 85rd can be used for both types of paint though.

bwalker25
01-14-2009, 03:36 PM
87mc is not designed for ceramic clears, 85rd is. 85rd can be used for both types of paint though.

thank you :) was wondering that my self....

cashishift
01-14-2009, 04:23 PM

so basically 85rd is the same thing yet does more?

What is the real difference between SIP and Intensive Polish then? Is SIP just better with ceramic clears?

Is there any reason NOT to get the ceramic clear ones? I mean I`ll probably only ever do 1 or 2 cars that have the ceramiclear.. just wondering if there is any reason to get 106FA over FF.. ? maybe im getting that screwed up.. not sure.

So basically, the essentials for menz are..

power gloss for heavy compounding?

203 for med heavy

SIP for medium cut

106 for light cut

85/87 for extremely light cut/jeweling?

lostdaytomorrow
01-14-2009, 04:41 PM
I suspect your over-thinking this. The KAIO is functionally nonabrasive on most paint (let alone hard stuff like yours). So are most polishing pads. Use whatever you like but make sure it doesn`t get caked/clogged/loaded with product (more likely with less-porous pads).

Don`t expect the KAIO to do much of any sealing. Despite the ad-copy it`s really just a good paint cleaner. The minimal amount of stuff it leaves behind isn`t enough to give a second thought to (there are other products like this that *do* leave an appreciable amount of stuff behind). I`d go right ahead and apply the Souveran, but don`t expect any better durability/protection that you`d get with Souveran alone.

AFAIK people just use "black" or "gray" interchangeably. Some of mine look darker/lighter so I guess it`s understandable.

Concentrate on doing the correction, the KAIO and Souveran will be easy as can be by comparison. I used Souveran on my last `vette (even the underneath) but *man* did I have to redo it frequently.

Accumulator, I am very fond of your opinions on this board and would really like to hear your suggestion to me for a better sealant under my Souveran than the KAIO. I got the suggestion from reading a lot of Pro Before and Afters, and a lot of Click and Brags, so please let me know what a better sealant would be under the Souveran in order to keep my paint protected because I don`t want to have to re-apply the Souveran every month or so to keep protection. Thank you very much for your help to me so far, I sincerely appreciate it.