PDA

View Full Version : Headlight sealant question.

Pages : [1] 2

heatgain
01-12-2009, 06:43 PM
After restoring clarity to a headlight, what would be a good sealant to apply?

Should clear coat be applied?

Does a clearcoat have UV protection? Does any sealant?

Thanks!

imported_smprince1
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Klasse AIO/SG.

Kaze_RSX
01-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Rejex, or FK1 1000p has my vote.

LoiG37
02-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Can Sealant you use on paint be okay?

heatgain
02-01-2009, 11:09 AM
Yesterday on a headlight restoration after polishing both lenses I used Opti-Seal on one headlight and Rustoleum Top Clear Coat (UV resistant, non-yellowing) from a spray can on the other.

The Rustoleum coating made the headlight a bit hazed. I had to polish it again (with OP) to bring it close to the clarity of the other headlight. I`ll keep an eye on the durability of both, but I`ll not use the Rustoleum again.

The problem may be because that Rustoleum coat, although having features I wanted, (UV resistant, non-yellowing), does not identify itself as "Glossy" on the can. I`m only guessing though.

Next time I`m going to try Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Gloss and hopefully that won`t reduce the freshly-polished clarity of a lens.

Quality Leather
03-08-2009, 09:49 AM
I know some people that have been looking for a good headlight coating. I think it means something when 3M hasn`t came out with one.

a.k.a. Patrick
03-08-2009, 12:15 PM
I know some people that have been looking for a good headlight coating. I think it means something when 3M hasn`t came out with one.

They have, its called a light kit.....a.k.a. clearbra for lights......best investment I made on my Expedition for a mere $50.00

mikeross
11-06-2009, 01:35 AM
Really? Just 50 bucks for the headlights (http://www.car-stuff.com/headlights.htm) sealant? I will look for one too. It is time I get my headlight restoration.

imported_advs1
11-07-2009, 10:15 PM
SEM has a new product for spraying on head lights. my buddy at a body shop let me try some out. its like a paint clear coat but made to finish really smooth with out needing buffing

SEM Products - Catalog (http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=304)

Soarer5
11-08-2009, 02:30 PM
SEM has a new product for spraying on head lights. my buddy at a body shop let me try some out. its like a paint clear coat but made to finish really smooth with out needing buffing

SEM Products - Catalog (http://semproducts.com/Catalog.asp?prod=304)

i was interested in buying that, but was told you need an expensive UV light to cure it. is that true or can you just let it dry overnight?

imported_advs1
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
my buddy at the body shop just lets it dry over night. i think the UV is if its going to be driven right away. i sprayed one head light they had taken off a car and were going to throw away just to test it and it dried in like 10 mins. i dont know if the UV does anything other than cure it faster

Soarer5
11-08-2009, 10:45 PM
well that`s good to know. i will order sometime soon and try it out.

execdetails
11-20-2009, 10:05 AM
I use Xpel headlight film after polishing but any of the quality PPF companies offer the kits and they are simple to apply and truely hold up to road rash.

Eti-43
01-13-2010, 09:57 AM
I do a lots of headlight restoration and y always use Meguairs Plastix or merguiars m105 and danasse Glaze for seal

tom p.
01-13-2010, 10:13 AM
After restoring clarity to a headlight, what would be a good sealant to apply?

I think I`d be looking at a product like Plexus and using it following every car wash. It will help prevent the return of the hazing/yellowing/cloudy appearance. A "sealant" isn`t likely to do this.

FWIW, many of the polished/repaired headlights I`ve seen appear to return to their former state and all that cloudiness comes back over time. It`s often worse when it returns. I`ve seen some severe cases where there headlights were bordering on worthless at night :down