PDA

View Full Version : Polishing By Hand: Foam or Microfiber

shadow85
01-12-2009, 12:52 PM
Do you prefer using a foam pad or a microfiber pad when polishing by hand? Is this a significant difference?

BobD
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I prefer a foam pad.

jam
01-12-2009, 12:54 PM
I don`t have a great deal of experience, but I believe that a microfiber pad has a more aggressive "cut" than a foam pad.

Accumulator
01-12-2009, 01:02 PM
IME the aggressiveness works like this:

Most: cotton terry

Medium: yellow foam "wax applicator" pads

Lest: MF

I tend to prefer MF for polishing by hand, but I think it`s really just personal preference unless you need to be especially aggressive or gentle.

If you`re doing a lot of polishing the foam will probably be the better choice as the MF/cotton tends to load up with product and get all matted down. The foam absorbs the old product and is pretty easy to clean out as needed.

BigJimZ28
01-12-2009, 01:05 PM
they few areas on my cars I cant polish by machine

I just pull the foam off the PC/Rotary I am using and foldif neede to make it fit that area

jam
01-12-2009, 01:19 PM
IME the aggressiveness works like this:

Most: cotton terry

Medium: yellow foam "wax applicator" pads

Lest: MF

I tend to prefer MF for polishing by hand, but I think it`s really just personal preference unless you need to be especially aggressive or gentle.

If you`re doing a lot of polishing the foam will probably be the better choice as the MF/cotton tends to load up with product and get all matted down. The foam absorbs the old product and is pretty easy to clean out as needed.

I stand corrected. Good to know!:xyxthumbs

ALAN81
01-12-2009, 06:02 PM
FOAM the mf pads soak up too much product

imported_smprince1
01-12-2009, 06:51 PM
For some bite/cutting, I like the terry cloth wrapped foam applicators.

For final polishing, I like the foam applicators.