PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me figure out my wheels?

backwoods_lex
01-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Somewhere along the way of learning the wonderful world of detailing I managed to use a strong wheels cleaner on my wheels while they were hot from driving (at least that`s what I`m guessing--I`m a little perplexed how they got to the state they are in).

Here`s what the wheels looks like (not an actual picture--just pulled a pic from ebay):

http://i24.ebayimg.com/07/i/001/1d/4a/99d4_1.JPG

The problem is that the "aluminum" face is weathered, dull, and streaky with lines. The other problem is that I`m not sure if it is clear coated or not. I`ve tried aluminum polish before and it didn`t seem to leave any gray/black residue on the rag. I`ve tried polish and compound by hand and machine with no results. I even tried a heavy do or die (meaning a good bit of pressure) wetsand with 2000 grit and OHC via rotary with no results. I`m perplexed (and figures--it had to be the set of wheels that are on my car).

Anyone have experience with this specific wheel (or other lexus wheels that are designed in a similiar way with the aluminum face)? I know that the arched areas outside of the spoke are actually base/clear coat.

Thanks guys!

Accumulator
01-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Noting that I know nothing about Lexus wheels...

IMO you`re SOL as far as being able to DIY them. Whether the wheels are cleared or otherwise coated or... whatever, once you get that cloudy appearance you have to have `em professionally refinished.

The "machined" finish wheels on my wife`s A8 are like that...I dunno how they`re finished but scratches do *not* buff out and when the finish goes bad it`s off to the wheel refinishers (even my Audi dealer`s bodyshop can`t refinish those and they have done other wheels for me with great results).

FWIW, the last time I got an estimate (for a friend`s BBS style wheels), the cost to refinish all four was $650.

backwoods_lex
01-12-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the reply accumulator:bigups. Professional refinishing won`t be possible since M105 is currently out of my price range. I guess it will be a DIY base/clear repaint in the future.