PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is Meg`s DC1 and DC2?

tnforever
01-11-2009, 04:01 AM
Title. I`m asking because I want to apply some DG 105.

I will have new products I want to test (the new SwirlX, Ult Compound, and ScratchX 2 sounds potentially interesting), but I want to finish off the DC1 and 2 that I have.

As I understand it, DC1 is a chemical cleaner and VERY slightly abrasive, and DC2 is basically like a glaze.

I`m curious whether the DG will last if I applied it on top of DC2.

If not, what should I use to prep a surface for DG 105?

heatgain
01-11-2009, 04:11 AM
The DC 2 has oils in it and is made for darker cars. If you have a lighter colored car don`t bother with the DC2. The DG 105 has a mild cleaner in it so you should be fine, bonding-wise.

wfedwar
01-11-2009, 05:37 AM
DC2 is a glaze similar to M7. You could probably get most of the oil off just by washing it. I`d a least do that, if not wipe it down with alcohol.

heatgain
01-11-2009, 06:35 AM
If you`re going to apply DC2 then wash it off with alcohol, save yourself 2 steps and just don`t use the DC2.

wfedwar
01-11-2009, 06:49 AM
If you`re going to apply DC2 then wash it off with alcohol, save yourself 2 steps and just don`t use the DC2.

Right. I was kindof thinking it was already on the car.

imported_Larry A
01-11-2009, 09:19 AM
Title. I`m asking because I want to apply some DG 105.

I will have new products I want to test (the new SwirlX, Ult Compound, and ScratchX 2 sounds potentially interesting), but I want to finish off the DC1 and 2 that I have.

As I understand it, DC1 is a chemical cleaner and VERY slightly abrasive, and DC2 is basically like a glaze.

I`m curious whether the DG will last if I applied it on top of DC2.

If not, what should I use to prep a surface for DG 105?

If you get some Swirl X , you wont need anything else to prep your car for 105 , except maybe some 601.

akimel
01-11-2009, 11:17 AM
If you get some Swirl X , you wont need anything else to prep your car for 105 , except maybe some 601.

Right. You would only use DC1 if it was not being preceded by polishing.

tnforever
01-11-2009, 01:56 PM
OK, well I guess this is going to relegate my DC1 and 2 to my beater until they`re gone then.

I`ve always thought you needed to clean AND polish a vehicle, then apply protection, or I suppose there are products (including swirlX) that are one step products?

Are AIOs (like KAIO) one of these chemical cleaner/polishes?

tnforever
01-11-2009, 01:59 PM
To add on to my post, is a wipe down necessary? And if so, what percent should I use (stores sell 70 and 91, 70 is much cheaper though)

akimel
01-11-2009, 02:35 PM
OK, well I guess this is going to relegate my DC1 and 2 to my beater until they`re gone then.

It all depends on how often you intend to polish your paint and how often you intend to wax/seal your paint. There may be times when you will want to remove previously applied layers of sealant and thus prepare the surface for a fresh application. DC1 would perform this function for you.

I`ve always thought you needed to clean AND polish a vehicle, then apply protection, or I suppose there are products (including swirlX) that are one step products?

When you polish your paint, you remove paint through abrasion. Isn`t that a kind of cleaning?

Are AIOs (like KAIO) one of these chemical cleaner/polishes?

When I think of an AIO product, I think of a product that both cleans the paint and lays down a layer of protection. That is precisely what KAIO does, as does Duragloss 501.

tnforever
01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
So I suppose DC1 is just a nearly non abrasive cleaner that would be considered milder than polishes, and is ideal for use when you don`t have any etchings/scratches on your paint.

Good for final prepping of a surface for protection. What good is DC 2, then? I can actually think of good uses for DC1, but DC2 i`m having more trouble with.

The key is to evaluate the condition of the paint and choose the least aggressive treatment to give it an ideal surface then?

akimel
01-11-2009, 03:49 PM
What good is DC 2, then? I can actually think of good uses for DC1, but DC2 i`m having more trouble with.

Deep Crystal 2 is a gloss-enhancing glaze, what Meguiar`s calls a "pure polish." Whether a "pure polish" in fact enhances the appearance of a well-prepped clearcoat surface is a matter of some debate around detailing forums. Those who advocate for pure polishes generally acknowledge that their gloss-enhancement is only noticeable on dark-colored cars. There`s only only one way to find out--test it yourself.

A word of caution: an oil-based glaze like DC2 (or #7) may create bonding problems with some synthetic sealants. You may wish to check with Duragloss before applying DG 105 over DC2.