PDA

View Full Version : Removing melted crayon?

xDevious
01-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Hi, my girlfriend has a 7 year old daughter, who left a crayon on the seats over the summer. The car sat in direct sunlight for a while, and the crayon melted, and bonded to the cloth. We`ve tried a few things, but it seems extremely difficult to get out. Even took it to a local detailer, and he didnt get it out, either.

I`ve been reading this site for a few weeks, now, and feel that there is much more knowlege on this site, than there is in my local detailing shops, so Im asking here to see what you guys can tell me.

I used the search feature, and what I came up with is kids writing on the interior with crayon, nothing about melted crayon. One of the local interior shops shot down the age-old paper towel/iron trick, saying it would actually more than likely melt/burn the fabric.

Thanks in advance for tips/tricks.

BlueLibby04
01-09-2009, 11:06 PM
If the crayon got hot enough to melt without damaging the fabric then you should be able to get it hot enough to melt again with hurting the fabric.

It was the first thing that came to my mind. Just make sure you take your time and dont get it too hot. I wouldnt use something as thin as a paper towel.

And yes, there is far more knowledge around here then in a `detailing shop.`

reparebrise
01-09-2009, 11:17 PM
If you have a local detailer with a steamer then it`s childsplay to remove a crayon.

jtford95
01-10-2009, 03:44 AM
WD-40 will remove crayon.

salty
01-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Heat and/or solvent.

You could try boiling a pot of water. Put an old cloth on the stain and put the hot pot of water on top, do not pour the water, let it heat and soak up the wax. If there is some left over wax take a mild solvent, fabric safe from a cleaning supply place or mineral spirits will work but might leave some residue and smell.

Showroom Shine
01-10-2009, 01:20 PM
I ran into this a time or two. Sometime it can be tuff. You do not want to get the area too wet. It will just sink into the cushion,then in the summer it will bleed back through. I think the best method is steam and extraction right after. The crayon can sometime dye the cloth or leather,then you need to recolor the area. A melted crayon can be tuff to remove. I could use some ideas from other detailers on this one! If you use WD 40 how do you get that smell out? Whew!

xDevious
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I appreciate the responses, tomorrow, I will try to give these ideas a try. It`s real cold out, and snowing, so maybe it can wait.. been there since summer as it is, a few more days wont hurt.

Cleaning Fool
01-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I`ve had success using this method. Get a small towel run it under cold water and ring it out. Get the wifes iron, set it for cotton/high. Place the rung out towel over the problem area. Place the iron on the towel. Keep it on the towel for 15 seconds at a time. This will generate very hot steam, which should melt the crayon and enable you to clean it up. You may have to do it 2-3 times. You will have to apply 5-10 lbs of pressure to the towel with the iron.

BigJimZ28
01-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I have removed wax from a carpet with an iron and a paper bag

put a peice of the paper bag over the wax

and melt with an iron the wax will wick in/on the bag

just keep going with fresh peices of the bag till it`s gone

Street5927
01-11-2009, 12:10 AM
I have had luck removing melted crayon by re-melting it with my Shark steamer, and then spraying wtih Detail King`s Hot Shot followed by hot water extracting with my Mytee extractor. Here is a link to for the Hot Shot spray.

Car Carpet Spot Remover (http://www.goestores.com/storename/detailking/dept/72688/ItemDetail-6338766.aspx)