PDA

View Full Version : Initial Pre-Detail Inspection

itskrees
01-09-2009, 12:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

I posted this question in the Getting started section earlier, but i`m hoping to get more responses from this section. Please excuse me if this is the wrong section to be posting this in :o. From what I`ve been reading it seems as though for those that charge hourly for a detail, an initial paint inspection is needed to give the potential customer a quote along with a vague estimate as to how long the detail will take. My question is, what is the process used to initially inspect the paint? Do you do a complimentary wash in order to see the true extent of the paint`s defects underneath the removable dirt, or to see if claying is necessary? Do you also completely restore a small section of the car in order to determine what products will be needed as well as how many passes will be needed? If possible, i`d appreciate your input along with the process you guys use to inspect the customer`s paint in order to give an accurate estimate. Thanks!

-Kris

gigondaz
01-09-2009, 01:06 AM
A truly excellent question!:chuckle:

This used to be one of my main challenges, and I have since, licked the problem.

When my customer asks about detailing, they always ask

"what`s the price for a polish and wax?"

They honestly expect a P&W to solve all their problems!

Therefore, my style is as follows:

Ask to see the car.

It`s almost always dirty and you can`t see much. If its a cloudy day, I`ll drive it under the white lights in my shop, and assess the paintwork. That`s the only accurate way.

Experience helps greatly. If you see watermarks on the glass, then a safe bet, there`s be lots on the paintwork. The diagnosis stage is critical, and many newcomers do badly in this, because they are only accustomed to their own and their friends` pristine cars.

Show them the problem.

Explain the probable causes, and the amount of work involved to correct them without creating new problems (ie swirls, marring etc etc)

Explain the price.

Influenced by severity of the problem, manpower involved, working under proper lighting, long hours, brands of products used, diff in technique vs others etc. If necessary, compare your price with another establishment`s price, and if necessary, justify any differences. You can`t hide from this, cos the well-informed customer could hv researched on prices beforehand and will shoot lots of pricing questions.

Show them pictures of similar cars you`ve done.

If you are the "official detailer" for any car clubs, show this off to the customer.

It helps strengthen your credibility.

Show them your customer`s testimonials, if any.

Many of my customers will go home, and admire their cars slowly. The true beauty of the job will reveal itself, and coupled with friend`s and neighbour`s praises, they will send me text messages about how great it is. I keep these on my mobile, and show them to my prospective customers.

itskrees
01-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the great response! After reading your process, it seems as though a wash isn`t needed to diagnose the paint. You also said that one of the signs of major correction is if there are watermarks on the glass. What other "signs" do you look for in the paint to help distinguish what kind of work will be needed, such as the difference between a 2-step and a 1-step detail?

Showroom Shine
01-10-2009, 01:30 PM
A truly excellent question!:chuckle:

This used to be one of my main challenges, and I have since, licked the problem.

When my customer asks about detailing, they always ask

"what`s the price for a polish and wax?"

They honestly expect a P&W to solve all their problems!

Therefore, my style is as follows:

Ask to see the car.

It`s almost always dirty and you can`t see much. If its a cloudy day, I`ll drive it under the white lights in my shop, and assess the paintwork. That`s the only accurate way.

Experience helps greatly. If you see watermarks on the glass, then a safe bet, there`s be lots on the paintwork. The diagnosis stage is critical, and many newcomers do badly in this, because they are only accustomed to their own and their friends` pristine cars.

Show them the problem.

Explain the probable causes, and the amount of work involved to correct them without creating new problems (ie swirls, marring etc etc)

Explain the price.

Influenced by severity of the problem, manpower involved, working under proper lighting, long hours, brands of products used, diff in technique vs others etc. If necessary, compare your price with another establishment`s price, and if necessary, justify any differences. You can`t hide from this, cos the well-informed customer could hv researched on prices beforehand and will shoot lots of pricing questions.

Show them pictures of similar cars you`ve done.

If you are the "official detailer" for any car clubs, show this off to the customer.

It helps strengthen your credibility.

Show them your customer`s testimonials, if any.

Many of my customers will go home, and admire their cars slowly. The true beauty of the job will reveal itself, and coupled with friend`s and neighbour`s praises, they will send me text messages about how great it is. I keep these on my mobile, and show them to my prospective customers.

I do not have a shop to do this ,but your response was right on. There is no other way to evaluate what needs to be done if you do not see the car,clean. Alot of people call asking for a price for a detail,and say it`s not too dirty. I tell them I need to come out ans inspect it before I commit to a price.

gigondaz
01-13-2009, 09:18 AM
.......help distinguish what kind of work will be needed, such as the difference between a 2-step and a 1-step detail?

On cars that I do, even if they are new cars, there`s bound to be all types of scratches.

You shd use good light, point out to the customer (many will be shocked!!), and ask them:

1. Do you want to remove or merely cover up the shallow scratches partially and

temporarily? (eg 1 step budget job) or

2. Remove the defects (where removable), and hence, a multi-step professional job, and from then onwards, maintain regularly (by you) to minimise the reoccurance of these scratches?

Another area to be cautious:

The car could be dirty and gritty. So, save yourself lots of grief by simply flushing away the dirt from a small section on any upward-facing panel, dry the section and feel it in front of the customer. I`ve experienced lots of cars affected by paint overspray on the whole car including the rims and windows(!!). To clay it off will be extensive and time consuming, and you must explain to the customer. Many times, if the customer washes his own car, he could`ve known about the overspray and not tell you. They secretly hope that you`ll take care of this problem as part of the detailing job. For all you know, the overspray could be THE main reason he`s asking for a detail!

So, if you miss this step, and only discover it after accepting the job, you`ll be delayed by the lengthy claying process and end up frustrated.

D Tailor
01-14-2009, 05:00 PM
I really like what`s already been posted in response to your question. Very good suggestions and practices that work.

You can also use a Initial Detail Inspection sheet to work with. It`s professional looking and allows all parties to see how much damage is really there and what can be corrected for the price you quote.

Below is one that was made available a few years ago by AppliedColor. It is very nice.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/professional-detailer-general-discussion/100596-copy-my-shop-s-customer-check-sheet.html

I also use one (my own) for both quotes and check-ins for the same car. That way, if time has passed between the quote and the actual drop-off, I can determine if any new damage has occurred that I should make the owner aware of before they try to pin it on me or pass it on like it was already there and to be included in the working quote.

I will include my own sheets for check in and ask that if you detail for money in my county and use them, that you at least let me know. Here are my sheets (mine are resized and with my logo and stationary): http://tailored.djbibiloni.com/Files/QuoteTemplate.doc

http://tailored.djbibiloni.com/Files/InvoiceTemplate.doc

itskrees
01-15-2009, 12:11 AM
There`s some really great advice and suggestions, thanks guys! :2thumbs:

gigondaz - I think i`m going to take on your advice as far as cleaning off a small panel on the car to help with the inspection. My only concern with that is with it being only one of the panels on the car, although unlikely, there`s still a possibility that another panel(s) will be in much worse condition than the one I choose to inspect. However, I may just have to take that chance rather than giving a full complimentary wash to everyone who requests a quote.

MachB5 - Thanks for sharing your sheets! I actually made an inspection sheet myself last week and it was great having something to compare it to: Initial Inspection Sheet - Sorry no webhosting at the moment! (http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G7LA062P)

Any more comments/suggestions, either on my inspection sheet or the inspection process are welcome. Thanks again guys, this forum has been such a helpful and inspiring community and i`m glad to be a part of it.

D Tailor
01-15-2009, 11:16 AM
No problem. I like being able to help. I tried your link, but couldn`t figure out what to do? Do I have to download that software before I can snag the link to download your file?

itskrees
01-15-2009, 01:31 PM
When you click the link, type in the verification code in the box, then after 45 seconds the timer will turn into a button that you will be able to click and download the word file. Webhosting would have been a lot easier as I would be able to give a direct link, but unfortunately I haven`t made that investment yet.

D Tailor
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
:spotCool. I figured it out thanks to your help! :spot