PDA

View Full Version : Salt Away and Salt-X

JHZR2
01-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Hello,

There are a number of marine products out there that are supposedly safe for all surfaces, and help to neutralize salts and make them flow. Supposedly they can also leave some sort of a protective surface.

I use these products, I put them in a fertilizer/pesticide sprayer that you hand pump, pressurize it and then spray the wheelwells and underside of the car.

I try to do this at least a few times a winter. I dont spray it off, just because often when the salt is all over, it is also really cold, and making ice all over the driveway just isnt that good of an idea.

Does anyone use this stuff? Do you apply it this way or some other way? Has anyone used it on painted surfaces? Im a bit worried about the claims that it is safe on all surfaces may still effect the wax protection, etc.

Any thoughts???

Thanks!

JMH

Accumulator
01-09-2009, 11:09 AM
JHZR2- Never used such stuff, but yeah, I`d wonder about what it might do. Especially whateve it supposedly leaves behind :think:

Considering what you posted in this thread along with your Qs about a pressure washer, it sounds to me like you need some kind of controlled/heated environment for your winter detailing.

JHZR2
01-09-2009, 03:41 PM
lol... wouldnt that be nice!

I have a 2-car garage, alas it is not heated, not insulated, etc.

JHZR2
01-09-2009, 03:58 PM
lol, I wish... I have a two-car garage, but it is not heated or insulated.

Accumulator
01-10-2009, 12:41 PM
JHZR2- That does make it tough :think:

I`d probably run it through a touchless carwash (one with forced-air drying) that has an undercarriage spray.

For the regular washing, you could try using a space heater (even without insulation) and an ONR type of wash product.