PDA

View Full Version : Any way to shrink the physical dimensions of a JPG with out loosing quality?

Todd@RUPES
01-08-2009, 02:37 AM
Title is pretty self explanitory.

I have compression software for my website that will shink the file size (not the dimensions).

How about something that will shink the dimensions with out a major hit in file size (quality)?

When I resize to 640-480 it look like I used a cheaper camera. Any way to keep the resolution in a smaller picture?!

Thanks

Domas
01-08-2009, 03:28 AM
Your compression software probably lowers the image quality when shrinking dimensions. I recommend using Adobe Photoshop, when resizing dimensions, make sure you set image quality to "High" (10, 11, or 12).

imported_Denzil
01-08-2009, 03:31 AM
You could also try using VSO Image Resizer, Todd. It works pretty well for me.

Todd@RUPES
01-08-2009, 06:09 AM
Your compression software probably lowers the image quality when shrinking dimensions. I recommend using Adobe Photoshop, when resizing dimensions, make sure you set image quality to "High" (10, 11, or 12).

Hi Domas, there is a slight reduction in the quality of the image when compressing, but it beats the ultra slow loading times of my website.

Photoshop is crazy expensive right? I usually use Corel Paint Shop Pro for images, but it looses a lot of quality when resizing.

Is there any software dedicated for maintaining quality of my photos when I shrink them?

imported_NRZ
01-08-2009, 06:55 AM
There is a tool in Photoshop I use called Unsharp Mask. It does a great job of smoothing out the lines instead of chopping them up. Works great - easy tool to use.

I think you can get Photoshop for like 80 bucks with the unsharp mask feature. I have the full blown version and all I use are the basics. But the Photoshop Elements its called should have all of that. If not I would bet that Corel as a similar feature. Check out fredmiranda.com - lots of great camera/editing/everything related to photo over there.

Meghan P
01-08-2009, 07:51 AM

Exactly what he said, Photoshop is your friend when it comes to any photo work.

kaval
01-09-2009, 12:57 AM
Todd, you can try creating an Action in Photoshop. When recording the action, make sure you resize the picture, and set the DPI to 300, then save with Quality set to 12. Your pics SHOULD come out around 400kb or less.

STG
01-09-2009, 01:53 AM
1. Web jpegs are 72 pixels per inch. Smaller images have fewer pixels and will never look as good as larger images.

2. Jpeg files have built in compression. Every time you open and resave a jpeg file, it recompresses and loses quality. It doesn`t matter if you don`t edit it, just onpening and resaving loses quality

3. Edit original RAW or TIFF files to avoid this recompression quality loss.

4. If you only have a jpeg to start, open it and immediately save it as a TIFF.

4. Edit the TIFF.

I use a program called Genuine Fractals. after editing a TIFF file in Photoshop, I save it as a Genuine Fractals file. When opening a GF file, you are asked what pixel per inch count you want and what physical demensions you want for your photo.

The picture below was taken with a Nikon D100 DSLR in RAW format. I converted it to TIFF with Nikon Capture software, then saved it as a Genuine Fractals File.

I opened the GF file as 72 Pixels per inch and 400 pixels wide in Photoshop and "saved for web" using 60 quaility.

The second picture was created from the same GF file at 72 pixels per inch, 700 pixels wide and "saved for web" 60 quaility.

http://stg.home.bresnan.net/DSC_2182-400-36K.jpg

http://stg.home.bresnan.net/DSC_2182-700-98K.jpg

imported_fishbonezken
01-09-2009, 02:15 AM
hey Todd, you could try Paint.NET, it`s free and when you resize your pictures, it allows you to select the level of quality you want it to be, choose 100% for minimal lost of quality.

1337Rolla
01-11-2009, 09:09 PM
also irfanview is a good image resizer/viewer. like people above said, 72dpi is the optimum setting for web viewing of images, iview supports several methods of resizing an image that let you sharpen, blur, etc.

Download IrfanView 4.23 Free Trial - A full-featured graphics viewer for Windows - Softpedia (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Graphic/Graphic-Viewers/IrfanView.shtml)