PDA

View Full Version : For people that have trailers w/ pressure washers and generators

SoCalB6
01-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey guys, I am contemplating on whether or not to purchase a mobile water & power set up. I am somewhat on a budget so If I could use more than one tool to multi-task that would be best.

So far I have on my list:

-Gas powered pressure washer (any special add ons? filters, gauges?)

-Water storage tank (do I need an external pump to get water delivery to the PW?)

-50ft hose

-Pressure gun w/wand & tip

-Gas powered air compressor w/air hose & blowgun (can this be used in place of a dedicated PW?)

-Gas powered generator (again, is this redundant?)

If possible, I would like the compressor to double as a power washer and blow tool, for getting water out of the nooks and crannies.

JonP
01-05-2009, 06:06 PM
You might want to consider getting a water tank. A water pump isn`t necessary but it would help. I have two trailers an open and enclosed trailer, both have a water tank, pump, generator, pressure washer with gun/tips and hose, water hose, and storage for all my detailing supplies/tools. The water pump is about 30PSI on one and 60 PSI on the other and it helps with the water flow on the pressure washer. Sometimes I don`t even need the pressure washer. I also use filtered spot free water to cut down on drying time outdoors. As for a blower tool, a good vacuum/blower will probably work best for being mobile.

Garry Dean
01-05-2009, 07:31 PM
All you need is a 6.5 gallon water jug from Lowes $10 and a gallon of ONR $40. If the client won`t let you use their water there is a problem.

reparebrise
01-05-2009, 07:44 PM
SC6

By your nick I assume you are Southern California, and there is a major piece of equipment missing from your wish list, a water reclaim mat and pump. While they are required everywhere, in California there is more public concern for water conservation and waste recovery(some cities are going to the point of banning mobile detailers).

Being in CA you have an advantage that many detailers do not have, and thats low rain fall. Depending on your intended clientele, you have another option, that is a watersmart model.

A watersmart model eliminates the large water tank, the pressure washer, the reclaim system, reclaim tank, the generator, and as an added bonus the trailer itself.

What you need is some water less wash, some towels, a power inverter(if you plan to do paint correction), a vacuum, 2 small water tanks (10 gallons each) for ONR and left over dirty ONR, and a small selection of chemicals. Everything can basically fit in a small car. This business model allows you to get started, and in full compliance to environmental regulations. In your budget remember you also need insurance, business license, and some marketing materials.

SoCalB6
01-06-2009, 12:28 AM
You might want to consider getting a water tank. A water pump isn`t necessary but it would help. I have two trailers an open and enclosed trailer, both have a water tank, pump, generator, pressure washer with gun/tips and hose, water hose, and storage for all my detailing supplies/tools. The water pump is about 30PSI on one and 60 PSI on the other and it helps with the water flow on the pressure washer. Sometimes I don`t even need the pressure washer. I also use filtered spot free water to cut down on drying time outdoors. As for a blower tool, a good vacuum/blower will probably work best for being mobile.

A water tank is listed, "Water storage tank". So the water system goes like: Tank>pump>power washer motor>power washer gun/wand>car?

I also have my equipment set up to where all I need fits in the trunk/back of an A4. I get my water from a detail supply that has DI water 24/7. Right now I just use "arrowhead" style 5gal jugs to hold the water. I just get my power from the customer.

PREMIUM - I already have the ONR`ing down, but I am considering doing "express/economical services" where volume and being fully self sustained is key.

reparebrise
01-06-2009, 08:10 AM
[QUOTE= I already have the ONR`ing down, but I am considering doing "express/economical services" where volume and being fully self sustained is key.[/QUOTE]

If that is your concern, then the watersmart model is even more up you alley, not only does it save water, but loads of time, and gives a better finish than ahy wet wash could.

Relaited
01-07-2009, 06:12 AM
If you are in So California, good luck with your bucket & hose. Unless you get really lucky, and choose not to get the right Business License, etc., man, you are asking for trouble.

The State Water Control Board is issuing a new NPDES Permit that regulates discharge in the Storm Drain. Standards will require a control of your waste and run off, and there is no way you fit a wash mat, reclamation system and waste water tank in your trunk. And if you do not, then you my friend are part of the “issues†of this industry. You are what is making it hard for the rest of us who spend the time and money to be compliant.

If you were to spend time investigating the water $mart model, to use ONR or a waterless product, you would find that the space might be adequate, and you will save money and be compliant.

If I can point you in the right direction, please let me know.

-jim

PS †no blower needed!

SoCalB6
01-07-2009, 01:01 PM
What is the "watersmart model" ?

Relaited
01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
Water $mart is reducing the amount of water used in Eco Detailing. ONR fits in the categorization. Steam fits like a glove with reduced water, controlling run off and eliminating or reducing the amount of chemicals used. Making choices to reduce the amount of water used, so you deliver the benefit of conservation and control run off. And, in my opinion, if you do it right and do not cheat, you either eliminate the need to deal with discharge / run off or significantly reduce it.

The opportunity for you is to utilize the “waterless’, small space, low budget, still need to bang out numbers & quality, unlikely to encounter the off roader, and if you do, rethink your targeted marketing strategy †you are in So Cal my friend, go get the high end cars!

Depending on where you choose to provide the service †you do not have the choice of what model you use, that choice is up to the property owner / manager.

it is water $mart †the $ is for the money you can make!

-jim

white gecko 99
02-19-2009, 05:00 PM
If you are in So California, good luck with your bucket & hose. Unless you get really lucky, and choose not to get the right Business License, etc., man, you are asking for trouble.

The State Water Control Board is issuing a new NPDES Permit that regulates discharge in the Storm Drain. Standards will require a control of your waste and run off, and there is no way you fit a wash mat, reclamation system and waste water tank in your trunk. And if you do not, then you my friend are part of the “issues†of this industry. You are what is making it hard for the rest of us who spend the time and money to be compliant.

If you were to spend time investigating the water $mart model, to use ONR or a waterless product, you would find that the space might be adequate, and you will save money and be compliant.

If I can point you in the right direction, please let me know.

-jim

PS †no blower needed!

I don`t see what the big deal is about reclaiming the water. Using a simple car soap that is VOC compliant, why do you need to reclaim? I see people washing their cars using who knows what in their driveways, and no fines to them... so whats deal? (For CA)

I`ve been doing the foam gun and 2 buckets method for a long time now and have never had an issue.

Can anyone here say that they were approached by a county/city rep saying, here`s a fine, now start reclaiming your water?

*edit: I would consider engine detailing to be separate from this, and should be reclaimed*