PDA

View Full Version : Polish/Filler to complement DG? First detail Qs overall

tnforever
01-05-2009, 06:19 AM
Hey all, I`m quite new here, but I`ve been lurking the past half a year or so reading up everything I can (and remembering as much as I can)

This will be my first time attempting to do a (proper) detail, my current product consist of Meg`s DC (haha, i know). And I have several questions, hopefully you can help me out.

I`ll be doing the detail by hand and using OTC products (no $$$)

1) I`ve settled for DG 601,105, and 951 as my finish, but I`m curious as to what OTC polish or (esp) filler will complement it so the DG won`t lift the fillers.

2) For one of my cars, my brother unwittingly polished it with some pretty harsh compound (one of those as seen on tv scratch remover things), and the window is now hazy during sunrise/sunset. Can chrome polish help this?

3) I`m still somewhat confused as to what exactly to use to apply and take off products. What exactly is the difference between a foam and a mf applicator, and which should I use for what?

4) Do I need dedicated towels for glass, or what? I read DavidB`s guide but I really want to cut down on buying too many types of towels. Just looking at vrooms there are 3 or 4, and that`s just within one brand!

5) With my current mf and IG, my mf feels like it bites into the glass, and gives me a really hard time wiping it, any particular reason (besides clean and polish) that might be the case?

I know it`s a bit exhaustive, and autopia has been such a huge help. I`d appreciate all your thoughts!