PDA

View Full Version : Water Etching

Pages : [1] 2

mustanginky
01-04-2009, 07:37 PM
okay, my 2000 mustang has water etching. pretty bad too. here`s what i`ve done to try and fix it: clay bar, no luck. vinegar bath, no luck. Ducky`s Water Spot remover, helps a little bit. SSR 2.5 on an orange then SSR 1 on a white pad. i can make them less apparent, but they`re still there.

Any way to make them disappear? thanks if anyone has some advice let me know.

imported_Conan777
01-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Are you doing this by hand or machine? In either case you will most likely have to use a Polishing compound, and it may take more than one pass to get them removed but you can certainly remove them with a good polishing compound such as Optimum Compound or Menzerna Power Gloss compound, orange pad probably, try a white pad first. Good luck

imported_Puckman
01-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Water etching needs to be cut down to the level they`re at. You got the best results most likely with the SSR 2.5 because it was cutting down the clearcoat. You might want to try a harsher cut pad (yellow or PFW) and the SSR 2.5 a few more passes. Then refine the finish with milder cut combos to remove any marring from the cut and bring back the gloss.

mustanginky
01-04-2009, 08:59 PM
i`m using a PC w/an orange pad. i`m wondering if i need to jump up to wetsanding?

imported_bigfoot
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Don`t jump into wetsanding. Try SSR 2.5 with a yellow pad and several passes first. Then refine as needed

mustanginky
01-04-2009, 10:11 PM
yellow pad huh? okay, i`m going to order some new stuff come spring time for my yearly full out detail. thanks.

Accumulator
01-05-2009, 01:49 PM
IME the type of leveling that etching usually requires takes wetsanding or at least "rocks-in-a-bottle" types of compounds (which are almost always rotary-only). The wetsanding works by *far* the best.

Even stuff like M105 only does so-so on this type of problem. TH0001 has posted some good ideas on why this is (big abrasives vs. very sharp smaller ones).

My DenaliXL has been compounded to death (harsh products, twisted wool pads) in the course of removing all the other marring, and even after all that the etching on the horizontal surfaces is still just *awful*. OTOH I`ve knocked down other "leveling issues" on other vehicles with a little 2K sanding, no problem (well, no problem except thin clear that is). Sanding is just *different* from compounding/etc. and it really does "level" the paint more effectively.

But I don`t remove much etching as I`d rather live with the imperfections than with very thin clear.

mustanginky
01-05-2009, 04:13 PM
thanks accumulator.

mc01ta
01-05-2009, 05:57 PM
everyone always recommends an abrasive polish first...I`m different. I detailed my black pathfinder today and initially had some water etching. I used Klasse AIO by hand since I did a 3 stage polish 6 months ago. After claying and then the AIO I was able to remove the etching. This was after an IPA wipedown. Try this first, it will save you many steps/time if you paint is already in good shape. If this doesn`t work THEN go to your polishing steps. Try clay 1st, then Klasse if you have it, then polish if needed.

Nuff said

BigJimZ28
01-05-2009, 06:21 PM
everyone always recommends an abrasive polish first...I`m different. I detailed my black pathfinder today and initially had some water etching. I used Klasse AIO by hand since I did a 3 stage polish 6 months ago. After claying and then the AIO I was able to remove the etching. This was after an IPA wipedown. Try this first, it will save you many steps/time if you paint is already in good shape. If this doesn`t work THEN go to your polishing steps. Try clay 1st, then Klasse if you have it, then polish if needed.

Nuff said

you had water spots not etching...

and no one recommended polish first the op tried wash, clay, vinegar, water spot remover before he polished

howareb
01-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Nuff said

Look out for BigJim. He will nail you every time. :)

As with many times before I am with Accumulator. You cannot always get caught up with removing the imperfections within a finish. Sometimes you have to weigh in the factor as to whether it is worth it or not. Recently I had water etching with a Mazda 6, which are famous for thin clear coats. After trying some very mild approaches, in the hopes that it was just `water spots`, I then had to deal with the reality that it was deep water etching that could not be removed completely. At that point it was a process of either polishing/wet sanding to bring up the clarity of the paint by removing RIDs and swirls without making the clear any thinner than it already is.

True it was not a flawless finish, but when weighing in the factors together you must always err on the side of giving your customers what best fits their needs.

Cleaning Fool
01-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Could also be acid rain, which will just laugh at you no matter what you use

mc01ta
01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
sorry about my post. I got lazy and didn`t read every post. Sometimes the processes or fixes people post are sometimes complicated/multi-stepped when sometimes less abrasive is the first step in trying. Nice catch there on me, sorry again. Just offering some advice using a least aggresive approach before making this a multi-stage poish recommendation.

[RT] ProjUltraZ
01-06-2009, 03:37 PM
i`ve had luck with green pads instead of orange pads for bad waterspots, etched in. i use menzerna IP then FPII on a white pad. great results like a mirror

BigJimZ28
01-06-2009, 03:40 PM
sorry about my post. I got lazy and didn`t read every post. Sometimes the processes or fixes people post are sometimes complicated/multi-stepped when sometimes less abrasive is the first step in trying. Nice catch there on me, sorry again. Just offering some advice using a least aggresive approach before making this a multi-stage poish recommendation.

nothing to be sorry about

and yes least aggressive is always the best way to start