PDA

View Full Version : LEATHER Seat Restoration Help please

roadster
01-03-2009, 01:35 PM
:usaI recall that there are several Leather Consultants and/or Experts on the forum and I have a question or two please.

Not to long ago I had and posted some questions about re-spraying or dying difficlulties....or move specifically, the longivity of the same. Certain areas that are rubbed or get more surface activity tend to wear off quicker of course. I received several replies covering preparation, materials, and application practices, but one very important reply/step that I not only did not know about, and of coures did not incorporate in any of my applications is the usage of a clear protection coat.

I use SEM water bourne material and would like to know if not only SEM makes a clear coat, but if there are any other product lines as good as or even better than the SEM line please?? I have been buying the SEM product line from Thad at Vinyl Pro of Western PA but have not been able to contact him by phone for several days????

I have re-dyed my drivers seat twice now (over a six year period) and I think it time wise approproiate to research a more durable solution...

Thanks for the help folks,

Nic Walker

:usa

Showroom Shine
01-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I too have done the same to my seat. I took a Training class from Thad too. In Pittsburg at the Detailking Facility. Thad knows his stuff too. You can buy the Sem line yourself and (hate to say it) by pass Thad ,and save a few bucks. Just contact Sem and ask it they have a clear or protectant product. Their customer service is Great.

roadster
01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks for the reply :)...appreciated :).

May I explain myself a little more....I by no means am trying to by pass Thad or SEM. I buy my SEM products from Thad who is a SEM Jobber, and Thad tutors me on the phone on how to apply/use. SEM has also been great as they lend their lab to formulate colors as well as other experiments for me.

My concern here is two fold:

I have not been able to get in touch with Thad, and

Thad has never suggested or offered a protective clear coat for the SEM products so I was wishing that the Leather Experts here on the forum would be helpful and lend me their ides/suggestions

Thanks again,,

Nic

:)

Quality Leather
01-03-2009, 04:07 PM
I think I mentioned before that Thad (and Donna) are really good people. If you have used SEM on your seats in the past, then continue with their product line if you like it.

On your concerns, I am assuming that Thad is away for the holidays. I don`t believe they have closed their doors. Unfortunately for them (and the guy getting kickbacks at Carmax), they lost the Carmax account. That probably put a huge dent in their bottom line. They do have three booths at the Mobile Tech Show.

On the second, I am not sure if you are talking about a top coat or the protector that JudyB talks about. If it is the top coat, then you should be getting it already. If it is the Judy stuff, then I believe she is the only one with something like that. I have a supplier that may market a protection product that was developed for BMW, but who knows when.