PDA

View Full Version : Best Drying Towel/chamois

Pages : [1] 2 3

decampos
01-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi there, I just bought a brand new black car.

I thought I took every possible cautious measure while washing and drying.

I used a lamb-skin mitt to wash, and I used a MF towel to dry. (Granted, they were WalMart quality)

That said, after finishing with my car, I noticed swirl marks - needless to say, I was devastated.

What did I do wrong? My guess it was while drying?

So, the main question I would like to pose to this group is -- What is the best material to dry the car with... A) High-quality Chamois, B) Cotton Cloth or C) Some type of MF towel?

Darkstar752
01-03-2009, 10:52 AM
New cars come with swirl marks, usually hidden by some 17 year old detailer devastating your paint by using a cutting polish and not using a finishing, and then throwing on a glaze to hide all of the swirls for a couple weeks. Your going to need to get a GOOD detail to properly remove all the swirls.

Anyway, it is best to get a nice soft mf towel, either a real plush absorbent one or a waffle weave, and blot your car dry. Of course blotting isn`t nessacry, i just dry it gently like normal. Also, even if you do care for it properly, it won`t keep swirl marks away, but it will reduce them by like 80-90%.

Check these guys out for some quality Microfiber towels.

The Rag Shack Home Page (http://stores.theragshack.com/StoreFront.bok)

craigdt
01-03-2009, 11:28 AM
I know a lot of people like the Surf City Towels. I for one am going to order the waffle weave drying towel from detailed image.

Another option is to use a leaf blower to dry your car off without ever touching the paint. You can get them less than $50 at Sears.

reparebrise
01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
One way or definatly reducing marring and swirling is adopting a new wash technique. In 95% of instances you are better of with either a waterless product or ONR. Unless the car has been offroading the technologie in these products protects your paint like no soap could ever do.

In our shops we wash 60% of car waterless, and 35% with ONR, the other 5% we send through a high qualithy tunnel wash with proper water reclaim equipment(yes a tunnel wash opperated by someone who knows what they are doing to adjust and maintain the machinery, and does not skimp on water and soap will never dammage a car).

My personal vehicle(2007 Mustang) has overr 70k on the odometer, gets driven on dirt roads, through raging snow storms, and in every condition Canadian roads can throw at it. The car has never been washed with anything other than water less, has never been polished, and to find swirls you need one heck of a light.

Detailing over the next few years will live a revolution of sorts, with increasing water conservation, run off control, and consumer pressure , existing water smart methods will gain in popularity, and new products and techniques will change the way we detail for the better.

For those of you who are nay sayers(and I know you are out there) you can do a simple test to see what is happening to your paint. o to the hardware store and buy a piece of black plexiglass. Remove the covering on one face. put the piece outside on a dirt surface, and wet it down, allow ambient dust to get it dirty for a week or so(note any scratching when you remove the plastic wrap on it first). Next sepperate the pannel in 3 sections. On one section wash it with a water less product of your choice. On the second section wash 1/2 of yur car with ONR, then using the wash media that has done 1/2 of a car, wash the next section, and dry(we have found the towelpros waffle weave MF to be the best and safest drying media to date). On the last section wash 1/2 your car with the methods you normaly use, and again using the media that has washed 1/2 of your car wash your plexi panel. In repeated testing, and lab work, the bucket and soap(actualy foam pre-soak, mitt, rinse, and dry) method has consistantly induced the most scratching. Both ONR and waterless are about equal, and far superior over the traditional methods. Since you wont believe your eyes, take the panel remove the protective wrap from the other side and repeat the test.

Since Henry Ford started making cars the methods we have used to clean cars have not evolved, in Mr. Fords times water, soap and a bucket were used to wash a car(in some cases kerosene was used as a water less wash as well) and 100+ years later some still do the same thing.

For my Detialing shops I spend more per year in R&D than most people here make, and I have proven many times over that watersmart washing(ONR and waterless) are by far and away safer, faster, and of course much better for our environment. For 2009 it would be nice to see a few Autopians take the high road and at least try to break the wastefull traditional wash techniques. Get rid of those wastefull ,and environmentaly dangerous foam guns, sell thos pressure washers, plant a tree in your buckets, and give your sheep skin mitt a well deserved retirment For those who resist change, saying the old way is the best, do you still watch B&W TV, do you heat your leftovers in the oven instead of the Microwave, does your telephone have buttons or a dial. We know that when you want you can follow progress(you have a computer) so please make 209 the year you discover a new way to take care of your car. Imagine no more wet hands, dry feet, no soap running down into the sewer drain, your children being able to swim at the beach in 10 years, and your car being in the best condition it has ever been.

Enjoy

Due to the nature of this post I have repaeted it in the ECO detailing section Under the heading of Time for a major change

LucentTeg
01-03-2009, 11:56 AM
It has been a while since I have read a post as good as this on here. I have not used waterless washed to date but I am going to purchase ORN on my next order.

As far as drying, I use a quality MF, actually two in the process. The first is an initial wipe and the second finishes anything the first leaves behind, maintaining a dry towel for the whole car.

imported_WCD
01-03-2009, 02:22 PM
I was able to get a concentrated sample of a product last summer. I just got around to trying it over the two week break from teaching. I used 8pz. to wash my Honda Odyssey + wheels and glass.

The first thing I noticed was that my glass has never been so easy to clean. Even with 6000 towels at my disposal, there are times when streak free glass is a pain! This wash product is amazing in that regard and easy to use- saves me time!!

I have been using ONR since last year and rarely use my pw anymore. My city is also beginning a clean water project campaign and I`m soon to be certified, which will be good for business.

After playing with the waterless and ONR, and talking with a few full time detailers with more experience than I, I am going to use the waterless for each detail where the car is not overly soiled- I tested it on my own car this weekend that had not been washed for 2 weeks and it worked very well. As a salesperson, it is also something that blows the minds of a customer--do a small section of a hood and pour some bottled water over the hood. Watch the difference of behavior in the water as it moves down the hood. Wow! What is also good about this product?

1. Less labor

2. Quiet work area

3. City govern. friendly

4. Cleaner work environment

These are a few. For the dirtier cars, I`ll still use ONR, but will use this waterless product on glass each time no matter what!!! My wife got in our van and said, "I can`t see the glass."

I just did a Range Rover today and when you sit back and look at the car, it`s the glass that strikes me as the standout- like it`s polished.

There are so many changes coming from city governments and so forth that the old pw methods may at some point be something we talk about as "history". Especially, for mobile detailers--shops when the correct separaters and in certain areas of the US will always have a use for pw cleaning during certain times in the year.

It was not long ago that a person came onto forums and made positive comments about these methods and was were blasted off the Internet. That said, I believe there are quality product that use good chemistry coupled with today`s paints that make this type of cleaning useful, valuable, and an asset to any professional.

I hope to hit the citywide home shows this summer and make $$ selling it as a glass cleaner!!!

Rob Regan

BigAl3
01-03-2009, 04:25 PM
So, the main question I would like to pose to this group is -- What is the best material to dry the car with... A) High-quality Chamois, B) Cotton Cloth or C) Some type of MF towel?

there are many quality waffle weave and microfiber drying towels out there... find one (soft, plush, etc) that performs with no negative results and you should be fine...

imported_WCD
01-03-2009, 05:05 PM
With ONR, we have added a mist of a product over the wet car before drying. This adds more lubricity + it has properties that make the paint look wet and it does provide some protection.

Remember- even the best towel scratches if not cared for properly. Always inspect prior to use any material that is going to touch paint. Develop a technique that works for you and use it everytime.

Rob

imported_WCD
01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
One more thought... I know of a number of very, very high-end detailers who detail for a profession and get paid very well. They do not buy towels that cost $3.00 and more- this is counterproductive to costs/profits. They use lots of towels every day on cars I could only dream of owning- or being able to afford. :)

They work because the user is paint-intelligent and understands how to use them properly. So many people spend their money on the thickest towel when what they have is working just fine. Take into account edging, material weight, not just feel. How a towel feels can change very quickly after a few uses. Of course, word of mouth from informed users is always a big ++++.

Just some thoughts as towels are concerned.

Rob Regan

lostdaytomorrow
01-03-2009, 06:49 PM
I was able to get a concentrated sample of a product last summer. I just got around to trying it over the two week break from teaching. I used 8pz. to wash my Honda Odyssey + wheels and glass.

The first thing I noticed was that my glass has never been so easy to clean. Even with 6000 towels at my disposal, there are times when streak free glass is a pain! This wash product is amazing in that regard and easy to use- saves me time!!

I have been using ONR since last year and rarely use my pw anymore. My city is also beginning a clean water project campaign and I`m soon to be certified, which will be good for business.

After playing with the waterless and ONR, and talking with a few full time detailers with more experience than I, I am going to use the waterless for each detail where the car is not overly soiled- I tested it on my own car this weekend that had not been washed for 2 weeks and it worked very well. As a salesperson, it is also something that blows the minds of a customer--do a small section of a hood and pour some bottled water over the hood. Watch the difference of behavior in the water as it moves down the hood. Wow! What is also good about this product?

1. Less labor

2. Quiet work area

3. City govern. friendly

4. Cleaner work environment

These are a few. For the dirtier cars, I`ll still use ONR, but will use this waterless product on glass each time no matter what!!! My wife got in our van and said, "I can`t see the glass."

I just did a Range Rover today and when you sit back and look at the car, it`s the glass that strikes me as the standout- like it`s polished.

There are so many changes coming from city governments and so forth that the old pw methods may at some point be something we talk about as "history". Especially, for mobile detailers--shops when the correct separaters and in certain areas of the US will always have a use for pw cleaning during certain times in the year.

It was not long ago that a person came onto forums and made positive comments about these methods and was were blasted off the Internet. That said, I believe there are quality product that use good chemistry coupled with today`s paints that make this type of cleaning useful, valuable, and an asset to any professional.

I hope to hit the citywide home shows this summer and make $$ selling it as a glass cleaner!!!

Rob Regan

Which waterless wash are you referring to that is making the glass so clear?

Spilchy
01-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I`ve been very impressed with the new version of the Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel. The old version was rough but this new one is superb. I was so impressed, I bought an two additional two packs (4 towels) with the 30% off discount. It is one of the softest towels I have ever felt.

Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, Pkg/2 (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-dwdt-2.html)

I also have had great success with the Cobra Guzzler waffles from Autogeek. They are super soft especially after years of washing them.

I have found that cheap towels are just that; cheap. There are varieties in quality when it comes to microfiber.

Envious Eric
01-03-2009, 11:35 PM
Excel Monterey Waffle Weave Drying Towel (Out of stock) (http://www.prestostore.com/cgi-bin/store.pl?ref=exceldetail&ct=29280&pd=133820)

My favorite towels I have used...I keep ordering more and more

BigAl3
01-03-2009, 11:46 PM
^ agreed, those are the only type (ultra-soft) of waffle weaves i like to use...

qualm
02-06-2009, 07:54 PM
Which waterless wash are you referring to that is making the glass so clear?

Yes which waterless are you referring to?

Stealth
02-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I just tried out chemical guys` improved miracle drying towel, very satisfied with it!