PDA

View Full Version : When leather gets shiny...

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

mafpo
01-02-2009, 03:18 PM
What can be done to take that "shine" out of the leather? You know, that driver seat shine that says "not new anymore."

Any help will be appreciated.

wfedwar
01-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Clean it thoroughly with a brush and a decent cleaner, like 10:1 woolite or similar. That will help. You may need a couple of passes and it may never look perfect.

judyb
01-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Shine is caused by the build up of dirt combined with friction from sliding in and out. If your leather was matt to begin with then it needs a good clean with a good quality foam cleaner followed by a leather protector then a regular clean with a leahter maintenance product to keep the surface clean and free from dirt and body oils.

We do not recommend woolite or APC for cleaning leather.

Quality Leather
01-03-2009, 03:53 PM
You can use Joy dishwashing liquid in place of woolite or APC.

wfedwar
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
If your leather was matt to begin with then it needs a good clean with a good quality foam cleaner followed by a leather protector

You mean like the one you sell?

then a regular clean with a leahter maintenance product

Like the one you sell?

We do not recommend woolite ... for cleaning leather.

Based on what? Because you don`t sell woolite?

judyb
01-03-2009, 04:43 PM
No but because washing products contain salts that can damage the finish on leather and have been proved to be unsuitable for use as leather cleaners.

imported_bigfoot
01-03-2009, 04:49 PM
You mean like the one you sell?

Like the one you sell?

Based on what? Because you don`t sell woolite?

She doesn`t say what product exactly or directs anybody to the products she "sells".

blk45
01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
You can use Joy dishwashing liquid in place of woolite or APC.

Are you serious? Why would you want to use that? You *can* use a lot of things on leather. It doesn`t mean that it is good for it. A lot of the things recommended for leather will not harm it in a couple of uses (at least that you can see), but after a while, it will be detrimental to the leather. Everyone is free to use what they want, but I would not recommend using dish soap to anyone.

wfedwar
01-03-2009, 06:45 PM
No but because washing products contain salts that can damage the finish on leather and have been proved to be unsuitable for use as leather cleaners.

What salt does woolite contain that has been proven unsuitable? Where is this test that showed it to be unsuitable?

wfedwar
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM
She doesn`t say what product exactly or directs anybody to the products she "sells".

It`s LTT (http://www.lttsolutions.net/). (I thought everyone had figured that out by now.) If she specifically said what product, she`d be banned immediately for spam. I wonder what "foam cleaner" refers to???

http://www.lttsolutions.net/shopimages/DSC00748_small.jpg

imported_Exelero
01-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Well to be honest steam is the best for leather an that is what i have used for 7 yrs. now without a problem.i have a therma-kleen steamer not cheap but well worth the money.

JohnHenry
01-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Hey guys, I don`t understand the criticism. I have learned a great deal from JudyB in my short time on Autopia. None of us likes a blatant spammer, but it would be grossly unfair to categorize JudyB as such. Many non-sponsor Autopians are in the car products business. Why is there such harsh treatment directed toward this member?

I have to agree with blk45. What can possibly be used on leather and which product is best suited for that use are probably two different things. I don`t own or detail exotics, but for my $40K investment, I would like to find the best leather product available.

JohnHenry
01-04-2009, 07:21 AM
It`s LTT (http://www.lttsolutions.net/). (I thought everyone had figured that out by now.) If she specifically said what product, she`d be banned immediately for spam. I wonder what "foam cleaner" refers to???

http://www.lttsolutions.net/shopimages/DSC00748_small.jpg

Thanks for the link! I don`t find a website listed in JudyB`s profile.

David Fermani
01-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Hey guys, I don`t understand the criticism. I have learned a great deal from JudyB in my short time on Autopia. None of us likes a blatant spammer, but it would be grossly unfair to categorize JudyB as such. Many non-sponsor Autopians are in the car products business. Why is there such harsh treatment directed toward this member?

Me neither? It seems like mostly the ones that are critical are the ones that appear to be doing things less than satisfactory. Many times people are resistant to change when they think their mainstream way(in this case wrong) of doing things are the best/safest way. I for one have updated my thinking process and have adapted to these new found techniques/products without much turmiol in my bottom line. Having the piece of mind knowing you`re doing things right makes a difference to me.

heatgain
01-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I have never seen JudyB suggest a certain brand of product in any of her posts. In fact, I`ve read criticisms of her because she refuses to hawk a certain brand.

If she did hawk a brand she`d be criticized for that.

Now she`s being accused of hawking a brand because she doesn`t.