PDA

View Full Version : OK to apply LSP with white pad?

Pages : [1] 2

Denton
12-30-2008, 10:36 PM
Using a PC 7424 and foolishly forgot to order finishing pads. Only have 4" yellow, orange, and white foam pads, along with the white pad that came with the PC.

Ordering from the Internet is out of the question, as the detail has to happen tomorrow. Also currently in Boone, NC...not quite a detailing haven.

So will I do any harm or good by using Megs 26 (or NXT) with a white pad? Should I use the one that came with the PC?

Legacy
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
The white pad is for polishing. Use a gray/blue/red for waxing. Since you don`t have a fininshing pad, do it by hand.

blk45
12-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Why not just do it by hand?

You *can* use any pad, but I would recommend a finishing pad (blue, black, red or gold) instead of a polishing (white) pad. I wouldn`t use the pad that came with the PC either.

BigJimZ28
12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
just do it by hand

there must be a paint supply store somewhere near you that has pads?

Denton
12-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Ha, I didn`t even think of the "by hand" procedure, I`m so stuck on the PC idea.

Makes sense as it`s just a LSP. I`ll still see if there`s a paint supply store, didn`t think of that either.

Thanks a ton.

Saintlysins
12-30-2008, 11:19 PM
I`m late to the game on this ... but do not substitute pads!

If you don`t have the correct pads, do it by hand.

Especially when it`s only LSP!

cshorey
12-31-2008, 12:00 AM
Denton - What brand pads do you own. Colors mean something different depending on the pad maker. For example LC white is a polish pad where a cyclo/edge white is a waxing pad.

chris

Denton
12-31-2008, 10:08 AM
Denton - What brand pads do you own. Colors mean something different depending on the pad maker. For example LC white is a polish pad where a cyclo/edge white is a waxing pad.

chris

Chris,

Bought the generic foam pads from Detailer`s Domain. They list yellow as Compounding, orange for light compounding/polishing, and white for polishing scratches under 2000 grit.

Now I know not to substitute pads! Glad I asked!

Accumulator
12-31-2008, 10:27 AM
Even though I`d run out to the local autobody/paint supply place and pick up a finishing pad, I`ll go against the grain here:

*ON THE RIGHT PAINT* a LC white pad could work fine for LSP application. It`s all a question of whether the product/pad combo has any functional cut *on the paint in question* and some harder paints would do fine with that combo.

Back in the day there was only one foam pad for Cyclos, the green one (which is more aggressive than a LC white). On harder paints the Cyclo green worked fine for LSP application, I did it that way for years using Malm`s liquid wax.

The Griot`s orange pad (!!VERY different from other orange pads!!) is another one that often works fine for LSPs/etc.

Just depends on the paint.

For that matter, I use polishing pads for all sorts of jobs where others prefer finishing pads (AIOs and Meg`s Pure Polishes come most readily to mind). Since I usually work on harder paints there`s no downside, and I just prefer the most open-pored nature of polishing pads.

SoCalB6
12-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Even though I`d run out to the local autobody/paint supply place and pick up a finishing pad, I`ll go against the grain here:

*ON THE RIGHT PAINT* a LC white pad could work fine for LSP application. It`s all a question of whether the product/pad combo has any functional cut *on the paint in question* and some harder paints would do fine with that combo.

Back in the day there was only one foam pad for Cyclos, the green one (which is more aggressive than a LC white). On harder paints the Cyclo green worked fine for LSP application, I did it that way for years using Malm`s liquid wax.

The Griot`s orange pad (!!VERY different from other orange pads!!) is another one that often works fine for LSPs/etc.

Just depends on the paint.

For that matter, I use polishing pads for all sorts of jobs where others prefer finishing pads (AIOs and Meg`s Pure Polishes come most readily to mind). Since I usually work on harder paints there`s no downside, and I just prefer the most open-pored nature of polishing pads.

...like newer Audi paint :D

Accumulator
01-01-2009, 11:53 AM
...like newer Audi paint :D

And even older Audi paint :D I take care of an older friend`s `93 V8Q and it seems just as hard as the newer ones (as was that on my dad`s `90 V8Q).

You`d probably have to go back to the days of single stage to find an Audi with not-so-hard paint!

08 GTI
01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
sorry to ask this question....but what is LSP?

I have been trying to figure this out and I just don`t know?

citizen arcane
01-01-2009, 04:42 PM
LSP = Last Step Product, almost universally wax or sealant.

For others:

http://www.autopia.org/forum/car-detailing/99979-acronym-decoder-complete-11-26-07-a.html

or refer to the 3rd from top sticky on this forum :dance

tguil
01-02-2009, 06:10 AM
I always use a polishing pad to apply NXT. It gives just a bit of cleaning power and one last chance at swirl removal. Go for it.

Tom :cool:

imported_Bence
01-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Yes, I second Accumulator` and Tom`s opinion. A soft polishing pad can give additional cleaning a swirl removal - and you decide the mechanical action of the pad by wisely choosing the right speeds and pressure.

I use to apply #21, FK218 even NXT Paste with my soft white Riwax polishing pads and they work perfectly. On certain harder paints, a unique combo is a one-step orange pad with an LSP. Talk about a strange AIO...