PDA

View Full Version : Center Console Scratches! Help!

mc01ta
12-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I have a perfectly maintained 2007 black pathfinder. My 1 and only gripe about this suv is that all interior panels scratch super easy! I have scratches on a plastic coated center console. Most of the scratches are very fine. Is there any safe polishes to use on this without having to buy a whole new console. This is the console surrounding the shifter. It is light gray in color. Any ideas or recommendations before I try a test spot out?

BigJimZ28
12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
could you poat a picture

so we can help you a little better

mc01ta
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
I don`t have pictures right now, won`t until this weekend possibly. These are just standard light scratches on a hard light grey plastic piece. This piece is about 2x3 roughly. Inside the middle is the shifter itself.

BigJimZ28
12-30-2008, 08:43 PM
painted?

textured?

smooth?

deep scratches?

surface scratches?

mc01ta
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Stock painted light silver smooth shiny light scracthes. There is one finger nail deep scratch

BigJimZ28
12-30-2008, 08:54 PM
is it a trim that that you can remove

if so get some dye spray?

Saintlysins
12-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Any soft-plastic scratches are going to stand out. And your always going to get more. :furious:

I use the finest (lightest bite) nail file (I ask my girl to save her old/worn ones), and `brush` any rough edges off. This is done with all the delicate finesse I possess, not touching anywhere but the scratch. With a round metal cylinder I`ll press and roll the area firmly to `squeeze` the gouge enough to round out the sharp edges. Sharp, rough edges stand out more than smoothed, rounded imperfections.

I know this next step isn`t what most will subscribe to, but I will lightly Q-Tip the scratches with WD-40 and rub it in. In my opinion, this `seems` to hide the color difference in the scratch.

(This is where true `plastic guru`s` will know where to use different thinner`s and acetone`s to manipulate the plastic and beyond my knowledge - so you`re stuck with my silly routine.)

Then I`ll go over the whole car with interior detailing finish.

You`re always going to see them, but the cleaner and less pronounced they are, the easier it will be to live with them.

Good luck ... hope this helps!

chromecarz00
12-31-2008, 01:34 AM
Is it clear coated?