PDA

View Full Version : question on procedure

bootleg23
12-27-2008, 12:10 PM
hello,

Quick question, I plan on doing a minor detail to my car (everything except swirl removal) as it was done in May 2008 and is garage kept. here is my procedure:

wash->clay->pre-wax cleaner->sealant->wax->quick detailer

question is can ALL of these steps be used on the ENTIRE car, like windshield, headlights, trim, or do i have to omit certain parts of the exterior. i havent decided on the actual brand names of products but heres a quick break down on what i wanna use cause i "heard" they are sweet.

wash: chemical guys citrus wash and gloss

clay: clearkote w lube

pre-wax: Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion or Swissvax Cleaner Fluid not sure yet

sealant: poorboys world ex-p pure sealant

wax: natty`s red paste or Pinnacle Souverän™ Paste Wax not sure yet

QD: fk1425

car is a twilight blue G35, AKA metallic blue; therefore a darker color

any input appreciated

Thanks

Simon

DetailsByDennis
12-27-2008, 01:46 PM
You have the right idea. Choose a sealant or wax, and do one.

Where do you live - and do you drive it daily?

imported_Detailing Technology
12-27-2008, 01:51 PM
1 question.

Why skip the swirl removal?

Your steps are aligned correctly. You will have a smooth, protected, but swirled finish.

bootleg23
12-27-2008, 02:10 PM
Because I am a amateur and have no idea what I am doing and i don`t plan on learning on my G35. I do not drive it daily, its a summer car only so right now its in a warm garage under a car cover. The detail job in May i had done by a professional.

plus i dont think it needs it, no swirl marks at all, the detailer in may corrected the paint to 95% and i kept it like that.

Just figured it needed a bit of a refresh on protection.

but is it ok to use all those products i mentioned on the whole car?

thanks

imported_smprince1
12-27-2008, 03:29 PM
I would say you are OK to clay, polish, and LSP the paint, glass, headlights. I`d stay away from any plastic or rubber trim with the clay, and also the polish and LSP depending on what products you are using.

Accumulator
12-27-2008, 03:29 PM
... here is my procedure:

wash->clay->pre-wax cleaner->sealant->wax->quick detailer

question is can ALL of these steps be used on the ENTIRE car, like windshield, headlights, trim, or do i have to omit certain parts of the exterior. ....

Welcome to Autopia!

Generally, you don`t have to keep stuff off the glass or the tail lights/etc. It`s easy enough to clean stuff off the glass anyhow, most window cleaners cut right through most detailing products (something to keep in mind when cleaning your glass too BTW).

Trim can be tricky- some products are almost always OK on it (KAIO and that Pinnacle PCL you mentioned, at least IME) but others are not and will leave white stains. And all trim isn`t the same, so you do have to be a little careful (test a small area).

Oh, and I`ve *never* had a problem with Souveran on trim. I use it on the exterior plastic and rubber trim on my Jag with good results. Souveran is nice stuff, but it doesn`t last long for me.