PDA

View Full Version : xzilon aftermarket

bs33
10-01-2005, 06:56 PM
First time member - just bought a new car, haven`t picked it up yet. Dealer trying to sell me a Xzilon protectant package. Helpful or hype? I`ve always been good about keeping my car in good shape, cleaning, etc, but never a full blown home detailer.

Hawaiianelement
10-01-2005, 07:15 PM
Is this the same pkg that you don`t have to wax your car for 5 yrs? I mean how fun is that ?

What I do is buy a clay bar and some sealant ( $40 ) . Good for more than a yr. Buy some scotchguard at wal-mart 6.00 and spray the interior and floor mats. Now you have a sealed car with great reflective properties and water sheeting action as well as a stain proof interior..for $46.00 .

I don`t know about this particular product but isn`t it funny that it lasts as long as the manufacturers paint warranty. So if it fails before 5yrs your covered under warranty by the maker and after 5 your screwed..

With wax and sealants you can try diff products to get the look you want. examples are :

1 reflective
2 Shine
3 Wet looking
4 Depth

My co-worker just had this applied on his truck once he heard that Airforce 1 uses it. Thats because he`s a big show -off and braggard..

jaybs02
10-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Welcome BS, I think this topic has brought a number of new people here to DC asking the same question.
With regular care, you can keep your car looking better, longer, for less money.

Do some searching, ask questions, and enjoy your stay here

"J"

Sherman8r44
10-01-2005, 08:02 PM
Even if those 5-yr. protection pkgs actually worked well (I`ve never used one) dealers mark up the prices on those plans tremendously. I bet they`re charging at least $500, while you can get 5 star shine or any other 5-year products for about $70 when you apply it yourself. But as the others said, it probably doesn`t work, and it is still quite expensive. Definitely get some Scotchguard or 303 Fabric Guard as hawaiianelement said.

GregCavi
10-01-2005, 08:09 PM
Those sealants are scams, and they dont last long. Save the money, learn how to detail on here, buy the stuff with saved money and keep your vehicle looking awesome all the time! WELCOME!!

Greg

Brenton
10-01-2005, 08:23 PM
There is no such thing as a 5 year sealant, whether it is xzilon or Diamand-Kote or whatever. There is one process I`ve heard of that could work, but it runs about 5k.
There are good 6 month sealants.

bs33
10-02-2005, 07:02 AM
Thanks for all the replies. The consensus is pretty obvious - save the money (they are asking $598.00) and use a little time and loving care on a Saturday afternoon (in the shade, of course).

I`ve used a lot of different waxes and cleaners over the years - but I`m not familiar with the "clay bars". I`ve seen that mentioned on a number of posts on this site. What`s up with that? What brands? How do you apply it?

Thanks again.

jaybs02
10-02-2005, 07:24 AM
There is an entire section devoted to the topic Detailing clay & lubricant (http://www.detailcity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=81), and Dwayne has done a very nice How to use detailing clay (http://www.premiumautocare.com/howtousedecl.html) section at PremiumAutocare.
Between the two you will finds the answers that you are looking for

Good luck,
"J"

broben05
10-02-2005, 10:55 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Never-Opened-XZILON-Molecular-Adhesion_W0QQitemZ8003490052QQcategoryZ50450QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
well it seems that even the product is overpriced.

JeffW
10-10-2005, 05:46 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Never-Opened-XZILON-Molecular-Adhesion_W0QQitemZ8003490052QQcategoryZ50450QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
well it seems that even the product is overpriced.

Well, it seems like no one wanted to pay the big bucks for this...the bidding ended without a single bid !!

:gathering

PapiJ
10-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Most dealer applied " 5 year warrantied " sealants are the same type sealants that we use . There is fine print that says you have to come back once a year to have it re-done during the 5 year period , but they make big money on it because no one ever reads that part of the contract . If you don`t come back as needed per contract requirement , the 5 year guarantee is voided . So you are essentially paying for 5 details and that`s all .
If you want a REAL deal 3-5 year protection properly prep your car to remove all imperfections and CrystalGuard it .

TrueDetailer
10-11-2005, 09:59 PM
the sealent itself is decent stuff. dealership i used to be a manager at uses it. the interior part of it is just scotchgaurd. I`ve applied it to a few cars plus mine, one of them about 8 months now.. those cars still bead like they have a day old wax job. The bugs come off with ease with no apc. I give it a A+

The trick is once you apply it, don`t use any harsh cleaners on the applied areas. Just use car shampoo and water. Once you open the seal on the bottle, its only good for 3 days tops. One bottle is enough to do a large suv. Use it on everything. paint,windows,plastic moldings,wheels.

After you apply it try to keep it dry for at least 24 hours.

Here attatched is a photo of my buddies ride that i`ve applied it too. Say what you want but the price you have to pay at the dealership is worth it for the sealent at least.