PDA

View Full Version : Wanted to thank Autopia.org

Matth3w
12-27-2008, 08:51 AM
For helping to educate me and allow me to realize that my 03 Z06 looked sub-par when I got it back from being repainted (you might recall I was worried how it would look).

Don`t ever take your black car to Photofinish of Tucson - Corvette Forum (http://forums.corvetteforum.com/car-care-discussion/2199578-dont-ever-take-your-black-car-to-photofinish-of-tucson.html)

If you could go there and comment in the thread as the body shop will only be seeing THAT thread I would be highly appreciative. If you read the thread the body shop posts videos of them sanding and buffing for you to check out.

TH0001 already posted, but the more the merrier.

Setec Astronomy
12-27-2008, 09:32 AM
So I don`t understand...Spoiledman fixed your car, or you traded it in, or both?

Garry Dean
12-27-2008, 09:56 AM
Spoiledman detailed it prior to this paint job is what I gather. He traded the car in after the repaint.

Matth3w
12-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Spoiledman detailed it prior to this paint job is what I gather. He traded the car in after the repaint.

Yep. After he had detailed it, flash flood/monsoon whatever, I spun it off the road and had it repainted.

Holden_C04
12-27-2008, 10:01 AM
As I noted in the thread, there was no/little bad in the video this tech posted. I`m not saying the end result was good, just that the video wasn`t showing poor technique/knowledge.

Matth3w
12-27-2008, 10:13 AM
This was my response:

Aside from the overspray due to poor tape off techniques on the second trip, and the wavy paint near the window moldings, the paint job/body work itself was absolutely flawless. I have no issues with that, assuming they would have fixed the overspray (I`m sure they would have).

My issue was I spent extra money to make it look better than off the assembly line for the "extra cut and buff" work and clearcoat, only to have it look just as bad as the first time I ever had the car detailed and buffed for $125 or whatever.

They simply do not have the buffing/detailing skillset necessary for a black car. Buffer trails, which I specifically pointed out what they were, are all over the car. Rough marks where they overbuffed certain sections. Absolutely terrible.

That`s why I said in my first few posts that the car looks immaculate in the dark or overcast, but terrible in the sun. They did fine for the most part on the body work (I really wasn`t terribly upset about the overspray because mistakes do happen, even though that is a really noob mistake to not catch)...but it was clear on the buffing that they didn`t know what they were doing.

If I wanted buffer trails and holograms I wouldn`t have paid extra to have it done, I could have saved the money and bought a rotary or PC and jacked up the otherwise nice paint job myself.

Matth3w
12-27-2008, 10:14 AM
Also, watch some of the other videos, my understanding is that the other videos not the one he posted showed bad detailing.