PDA

View Full Version : Help with Polishing

jostan
12-26-2008, 09:25 AM
First time trying to polish. I used the Flex on speed 6, PO203 with purple wool foam. I polished the hood, broke it into 4 sections. I spent around 2-3mins each section, applied little pressure and move the flex slow and overlapping motions.

After wiping the polish off, under halogn lighting and at an angle theres still some small scratches visible. It can`t be seen unless looked at an angle and under lighting. How do I get rid of these small scratches? Am I not applying enough pressure or maybe not working polish long enough? Thanks.

DetailsByDennis
12-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Do you have any other slightly more aggressive products to try?

M105 will do the trick, so will M95 :)

Accumulator
12-26-2008, 10:40 AM
Or at least do more passes. I`m not familiar with PO203, but it`s not all *that* unusual to have to go over things a few times, even with PFW.

jostan
12-26-2008, 10:53 AM
PO203 is the only polish I have. The scratches are very light, I hope this polish is good enough.

How many passes do you usually do? How many minutes does it usually take you to do your hood of your car? Also how many lbs of pressure should I be applying? Thanks

Accumulator
12-26-2008, 12:27 PM
PO203 is the only polish I have. The scratches are very light, I hope this polish is good enough.

How many passes do you usually do? How many minutes does it usually take you to do your hood of your car? Also how many lbs of pressure should I be applying? Thanks

How many passes/how much time just depends on how much correction your machine/pad/product combo is doing on your paint (and how much time you spend inspecting). Generally, if something takes a lot of passes I`ll get out something more aggressive, but that`s currently not an option for you. With a too-mild combo you could literally spend hours per panel, hope things aren`t that bad for you.

But it sounds like you spent maybe 15 minutes on your hood and I don`t think I`ve *ever* done a hood (that needed correction) that fast by a long shot. Also, while different people do stuff differently, *I* work smaller areas than that, I just seem to do better that way. But hey, I tend to take a long time to do this stuff :nixweiss

I don`t apply that much pressure with the Flex 3401 as I don`t want to precipitate backing plate/unlubed bearing issues. If you haven`t already, you might put some light oil on the felt ring behind the backing plate (don`t use too much and contaminate your backing plate/anything else).