PDA

View Full Version : Can Ice Scratch My Finish

Danspeed1
12-25-2008, 10:56 PM
So today, Christmas, was 40*F outside. So I decided to get out there, and wash and wax my Impala. My product of choice was 476s for the winter. I began my wash around 3:00pm and it was 38*F, got it 99% dry and then began to apply the wax. By the time I hit the hood the sun was retreating. I put the 476s on the hood and as I wiped it across it began to form little clumps all over the place. Upon further inspection I relized that that my foam applicator caught a couple of drops of water, and my wax actually froze to the vehicle. I had to remove it at this point so I did the best I could do, but I was wondering if tomorrow when I go out in the sun, if I am going to see scratches, swirls, and marring all over form the little dots of wax I rubbed into the paint.

Happy Holidays

Dan

P.S. who is more of an Autopian then me,... waxing the car on a holiday.

blk45
12-25-2008, 11:08 PM
I always work on the cars on holidays, but my weather is a lot nicer than yours. 82 today.

smokinfastlegen
12-25-2008, 11:10 PM
Im interested to hear this one too.

BTW: im originally from Goshen, not but a couple minutes from Chester.

imported_Devilsown
12-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Im not sure, but I figure if its hard it has the possablity to scratch paint... I hope for your sake its ok thought, might have some wax hazing as it was cold out.

NCZ13
12-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I would have washed and waxed my car, but it was raining.

I really wanted to use my new dodo waxes =(

David Fermani
12-26-2008, 05:16 AM
Not sure and don`t think so, but excessive rubbing could. Especially on finicky Impala paint.

TSIBrian
12-26-2008, 07:34 PM
The Titanic comes to mind.

Ice can do some real damage at a larger scale of course, but as far as little crystals I would think not so much. I was going to see if the sharp edge of an ice cube would scratch a cd, but naturally there are no ice cubes when I need them.

If anyone has any ice cubes and cd`s to waste I would be interested to hear the results.

Harold97
12-26-2008, 07:36 PM
I have wondered about using products in cold conditions... I had two cars get covered with overspray when my landlord sprayed a garage next to my driveway while I was away at work.

Since I almost never have enough free time, I had to work when it was cold enough to ice the car on the side without sun. Anyway, I ended up using a hairdryer to warm the panels, one at a time to apply and remove Collinte 915. It is NOT good to freeze to the car!

I wish I lived where it is warm all year...

Labster
12-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Ice can scratch the paint...Believe me...Years of living with my car outdoors has proved this to me. Ice build up on my hood produces micro scratches almost swirl-like in the finish that I can see once spring breaks. It really sucks but honestly, it`s just another excuse to try something new on my car...lol

Harold97
12-27-2008, 04:54 PM
If I put several coats of the 915 on my cars, will that prevent the scratching?

imported_bpfoley
12-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I know Ice mars paint, but its usually due to salt/road grime being under it and dragging. I am not sure whether pure ice on clean paint would be mar free.

Harold97
12-27-2008, 05:21 PM
I guess I was getting off of the original topic, and thinking of snow removal. Also, would regular applications of Z-8 help?

coke4class
12-27-2008, 05:29 PM
maybe special lighting... such as holiday lighting? :)

paco
12-27-2008, 10:28 PM
As ice melts, the water would be a lubcricant but if there is any dirt or grime in the ice or on the paint, then yes it can mar the paint.

Most likely, it would.

Less then you would think but yes, i have seen some minor swirls as a result of ice melting off my vehicles.

AEsco48
01-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Will depend on the pressure and the temp difference between the surface and the ice