PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of paint splattered on lower side?

CLK350SteelGrey
12-24-2008, 07:28 PM
I drove through a construction zone and got some white paint splattered on one side of my ML350. Its been there for a good 6 months.

Would a heavy duty clay bar get rid of this?

imported_themightytimmah
12-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Sometimes it will, generally it won`t. I usually use a solvent (lacquer thinner) and a plastic razor blade to remove road or house paint. LT shouldn`t harm catalyzed clearcoat, but I always make sure to wash and polish afterwards to restore the surface to 100%.

Barry Theal
12-24-2008, 08:29 PM
wow 6 months is a long time paint is real hard by now but i would listen to the mitytimmah on this. unless you know someone with a high pressure heated pressure washer like a karcher that will also do it!

MBurnickas
12-24-2008, 09:29 PM
No offense, next time don`t wait so long. Generally paint, even can spray paint will come off easily within 24 to 48 hours. Depends on the type of paint, like the other fuy said you might have to use the plastic razor. If it`s just flat white, a solvent usually will get it.

CLK350SteelGrey
12-24-2008, 10:23 PM
yea i know its been on their a while, its my parents car

so should I just try a solvent and a razor blade and skip the clay bar?

im scared using the razor on the paint, but il be careful

ALAN81
12-24-2008, 10:37 PM
My white paint just won`t come off no matter what I use. It`s down real low and in the front right wheel well and I just gave up and waiting for it to wear away

Accumulator
12-25-2008, 11:14 AM
Ah, I`ve had it get in wheelwells and *never* come off the plastic liners..like it did some solvent-action into the plastic and could only be worn away/gouged out.

On the paint, I`ve had very good results with FK1119 and clay, also using a plastic razor blade in one or two areas. I got lane-line paint off an Audi that`d been on there for months that way. Kinda surprised me that the FK1119 softened up that paint the way it did.

I`d use a plastic razor blade, not a steel one. Yeah, yeah, I know some guys have done such stuff with regular single-edge blades but I wouldn`t want `em trying it on *my* vehicle.

ALAN81
12-25-2008, 04:33 PM
I would never take a razor to my car I would be too scared

JohnKleven
12-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I usually mist lacquor thinner on the car, let it sit for a few minutes, respray, then pressure wash. Pretty much everything should come off.

John

gigondaz
12-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I drove through a construction zone and got some white paint splattered on one side of my ML350. Its been there for a good 6 months.

Would a heavy duty clay bar get rid of this?

Very simple.

ONE:

Moisten the white splattered paint with lots of nail polish remover.

Harmless to paint. Keep the area moist for 3mins with the NPR, and rub gently with a microfiber cloth that you can throw away.

TWO:

Try turpentine or mineral spirits instead.

I`ll use 2K thinner/reducer only as a last resort.

Accumulator
12-26-2008, 10:22 AM
I usually mist lacquor thinner on the car, let it sit for a few minutes, respray, then pressure wash. Pretty much everything should come off.

Including any post-production paintwork ;) Just noting that so it doesn`t go unmentioned.

I would never take a razor to my car I would be too scared

The *plastic* ones are quite safe, handy things to have around.

CLK350SteelGrey
12-26-2008, 10:18 PM

John

can you send me a link of the lacquor so when I goto the store I know what to look for