PDA

View Full Version : help with overspray on wheels (pics)

8Banger
12-23-2008, 10:13 PM
so i did this "detail" this past week on a mustang. it has black fr500s that had some overspray on them. i washed with 2mb. 1 capfull of dg901, 2 cap fulls of gc in 1 gallon of water. after washing each wheel i clayed with mother`s, using the wash water as lube. it seemed as if the clay was marring the wheels, the more i clayed, the more "marring" was left. it almost looked like wet sanding marks where i clayed. needless to say i was very cautious about my claying. in the end, i only got about 75% of the over spray off. i dont know what the over spray was exactly. a long time ago i had clear coat over spray on my car and this was similar to that.

sorry for the jumbled post. basically, is it marring im seeing? if so, why? what can i do to get the rest of it off.

i wish i would have taken an after wash/before clay picture, but i didnt :(

before:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/SVTBill/Picture010-3.jpg

after: (blurry, sorry)

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/SVTBill/Picture028.jpg

after:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q111/SVTBill/Picture015-1.jpg

8Banger
12-23-2008, 10:16 PM
oh, also there IS some clear coat over spray on the rocker panels of the car. i tried claying and it didn`t come off. also tried CG light polish by hand and it didn`t come off. i really want to see if i can get it off without using the PC because..well we all know rocker panels can be easy to damage. any ideas here? i might just do sip/cg lp by hand.

Setec Astronomy
12-23-2008, 10:22 PM
I dunno, that looks an awful lot like brake dust to me.

8Banger
12-23-2008, 10:25 PM
yeah, that before picture had brake dust on it. thats why i was saying i wish i would have taken a post wash/pre clay picture. theres not enough over spray on the wheels now that the camera will pick up, but you can still see/feel it.

Setec Astronomy
12-23-2008, 10:34 PM
Seems like brake dust to me, wheels and rocker panels are where I`m going to splatter brake dust from my non-stock pads when I`m decelerating from my "display of speed" from my modded engine. That`s the way it looks to me.

How would you get clear overspray on just the wheels and rocker panels?

8Banger
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
well the car has been repainted twice and the wheels are aftermarket, so anythings fair game as far as the over spray goes. plus im sure there`s over spray cuz i can see/feel it, even after the wash. plus the clay did take care of some of it.

BigJimZ28
12-23-2008, 10:51 PM
plus im sure there`s over spray cuz i can see/feel it, even after the wash. plus the clay did take care of some of it.

a wash might not remove all brake dust

and clay should help

aslo brake dust is more abrasive then overspray so that

would explain the marring

I would think it is brake dust also

but it does not really matter as you should remove it the same way

(only use more lube and toss the clay when you are done)

F.I.Y. brake dust is very hot peices of metal

and if will bond to paint very easy(not much different then rail dust)

imported_Exelero
12-24-2008, 12:29 AM
Clay is such a wonderful tool.