PDA

View Full Version : Proper Steps?

ColdRunner
12-22-2008, 12:21 PM
I am new to detailing and want to make sure that i am taking the correct steps and that i am not duplicating a step. Here is what i have planned for my first clean. Please offer advise.

The dealer in my location, sells and has the best deals on Meguiars.

My Goal: to remove minor defects in the paint, restore deep shine, and protect the paint.

1.Proper wash according to wash method found on this website.

2. Clay bar the entire car.

3. Using PC7424 with 6" backing plate, with Meguiares (MG), foam polishing pad, apply MG 83 polish/cleaner. Then remove with microfiber towel.

4. Next, apply MG 82,swirl free polish, using a finishing pad. This is the step that seems redundant to me. Remove with new miro towels.

5. Final, apply MG synthetic sealant with miro applicator padby hand and remove with new miro towels.

What do you think? thanks

whitesands
01-02-2009, 10:54 AM
Either 3 or 4 is totally unneccessary...Remember clay bar isn`t always needed either....Polishing isn`t needed if your paint is in good condition...

IMHO, keep the steps to a minumum if you can and the steps you do take use the proper technique...The less contact you have to make with the paint the better...You want to get it clean, shiny, and protected yet at the same time you don`t want to enduce imperfections or take away from the long term durability by doing to much....So examine the surface of the paint and do only what is needed.

If the surface is smooth after washing and you have no swirls to remove you may need only steps 1 and 5......

If the surface is still rough after washing and you have no swirls to remove you would need only steps 1, 2, and 5...

If the surface is smooth after washing and you do have swirls to remove you would only need steps 1, 3, and 5...

If the surface is rough after washing and you have swirls to remove you would need to do steps 1, 2, 3, and 5...Can you see the picture ?